Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Anything else to install with InDesign 5.5 upgrade?

Mar 30, 2012 11:45 AM

I just bought the Creative Suite Design Premium upgrade to CS5.5 from my current Design Premium CS5. I was going to skip it and wait for CS6, but took advantage of the current deal for a free upgrade to CS6 when the time comes. Out of the 5.5 suite, I only want to install InDesign and Acrobat X, which are the upgraded products in the 5.5 suite. But I'm looking for advice on whether to install Bridge or anything else in order to have InDesign 5.5 run properly.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to mpc999

I think you have to install Bridge.

And really, without telling us what you do, it’s not possible to tell you what to install.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to mpc999

mpc999 wrote:

... in order to have InDesign 5.5 run properly.

For that you only need to install InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to mpc999

I opted for InDesign, Illy & Bridge - skipped Photoshop and Acrobat and et al.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to mpc999

If you want to use Mini-Bridge you'll need to install Bridge CS5.5, and you'll also need it to synch color settings across the CS5.5 apps.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 12:17 AM   in reply to mpc999

Your question is confusing -- why would you ever not install everything? Disk space is cheap.

That said, If you have CS5 installed, it will save you annoyance to not install Photoshop and Illustrator from CS5.5, because they do not have CS5.5 versions. They have "CS5.1" versions that are essentially identical to the CS5.0 versions. But you'll have to worry about migrating your preferences over and it's just kind of annoying. So it's safe to skip them if you have them already installed.

And CS5.5 has Acrobat X instead of Acrobat 9. That is...a mixed blessing. Most people dislike the UI, but it has a few bugfixes (security and otherwise) and a few features added as well. I don't think Bridge changed at all for CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points