This discussion is locked

Invoking Photoshop CS5 from Lightroom 4 asks for Camera Raw Plug-in 7.0

Mar 6, 2012 1:28 AM

Tags: #raw #camera #plug-in #lr4 #cs51
  Latest reply: Decio Yokota, Jun 6, 2012 6:28 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to steveg55

Lightroom is a fully operational program and does not require you to have any other Adobe software on your computer for it to be functional. The warning dialog that pops up is only letting you know that the existing Photoshop version does not have the equivalent Camera raw version as Lightroom, all that has to be done is choose "edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments and a tiff file would be rendered and would open in Photoshop. There are lots of users who would prefer not to upgrade their version of Photoshop just to obtain the updated ACR plugin, choosing to let Lightroom carry out the processing of the raw data.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 2:07 AM   in reply to DdeGannes

Since I installed LR4.1 RC these warnings disappeared...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 2:24 AM   in reply to dasar

dasar wrote:

Since I installed LR4.1 RC these warnings disappeared...

Still there for me. 

You didn't check "Don't show again", I guess?  Maybe to go Edit menu, Peferences, general tab and hit "Reset all warning dialogs". 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 3:01 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

No, I didn't check "Don't show again" and to be sure I also reseted the warning dialogs

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 3:11 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

Strange.  I've still got PS5 with ACR 6.6 (not the 6.7 RC, and not PS6 beta) and I get the warning dialog with LR 4.1 RC when I try to "Edit in..." PS CS5. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 3:17 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

I have the ACR 6.7 RC installed

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to roland_slee@yahoo.com

It appears to me if you desire you upgrade to LR 4 and be compatible with Photoshop you will be forced to Purchase the CS6 Upgrade? Am I the only one that comes to this conclusion? I would like to upgrade to LR4, but if not compatible with CS5 I would be very hestitant to do so!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 8:35 PM   in reply to mikeobe

mikeobe.....

It depends what you mean by "compatible".

I am using Photoshop CS4, and as long as I have LR4 render the images, they come into PS looking exactly like the raw conversion as viewed in LR. In this scenario, LightRoom uses its built-in raw conversion engine to convert the RAW image into RGB and bring it into Photoshop. This is the same engine that creates the previews in LR, so they should be identical.

If I were to render the image using the version of ACR associated with PSCS4, (which is older than the raw processing engine in LR4), then yes, it will look different. After all, CS4 and CS5 utilize older versions of Camera RAW and don't support the latest changes or Process Version 2012. If you want to convert directly from Bridge or PS, then you will need CS6, at least as I understand it.

If you want to use an older version of PS, just let LR render the image. When it is delivered to PS, it will be the same as what you see if LR.Then edit away as you see fit. In that respect, LR4 is totally compatible with older versions of PS. I don't intend to buy a new version of Photoshop. It's cheaper to buy an upgraded version of LR. Having said that, read a few of the threads on LR4 performance, bugs, problems, etc, before you decide. If you are in no rush, you may wish to wait until Adobe releases LR4.1 or 4.2.

Lou

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to Lou Dina

thanks for your reply! Render? As in open every photo and hit the render button??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to mikeobe

mikeobe,

When you choose to "Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS4 or CS5", a message will pop up, as shown below. Select "Render in Lightroom" and what comes into Photoshop will be identical to what you see in LR. If this message does not appear, you either have LR6 install with the same raw conversion engine, or you disabled this message by clicking "Don't show again". I'm not sure how you undo that, but perhaps you can reset your preferences.

Screen shot 2012-04-13 at 8.01.59 AM.png

Lou

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to Lou Dina

so in order for you to take advantage of the NEW LR Camera Raw the short answer is YES!!?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 12:35 PM   in reply to mikeobe

mikeobe,

mikeobe wrote:

so in order for you to take advantage of the NEW LR Camera Raw the short answer is YES!!?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying, but I disagree with what I think you are saying. I can take advantage of ALL of LR4's functions, including RAW processing, even if I am using Photoshop CS4 or CS5. Rendering the RAW image using LightRoom 4 uses the very latest raw processing engine, which is built into LR. You don't NEED a current version of Photoshop CS6 or Camera RAW to do this—just Render Using LR and you ARE using the latest version of Camera RAW.

For whatever reason, Adobe chose not to allow older versions of Photoshop use the latest Camera RAW module (probably to encourage more sales of Photoshop). That is specifically why I am using LR to render my images. I don't want to pay the extra money to upgrade PS.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to mikeobe

mikeobe wrote:

Well, it gets so complicated that let's make sure we agree the question!  Assuming the version of LR is 4 (or greater) and you want to "Edit in" Photoshop:

1. If the installed version of Photoshop is CS5 with ACR 6.6 (or earlier), then choose "Render using Lightroom".  Choosing "Open anyway" will cause problems. 
    2. If using CS5, but with ACR6.7, currently in Release Candidate, it will still ask the question, but Adobe say it's safe to choose "Open anyway", as I understand it.
    3. If using CS6, which will have ACR7, then it won't ask the question - it will assume it's compatible and take the "Open anyway" route without asking. 

If in case 1 or 2 it doesn't ask, it's probably because you've suppressed the question.  Go to (in Lightroom) Edit menu, Preferences.. General Tab and click "Reset all warning dialogs".

If you choose "Open anyway" (or it does it automatically) then LR passes the raw file to PS, PS processes it behind the scenes in ACR, and if and when you save the file in PS - and only if and when - it creates a new image (e.g. TIF or PSD) which is stacked with the original in LR.

If you choose "Render using Lightroom", then LR creates a TIF there and then, stacks it with the original, and passes the TIF to PS.  This is how it behaves always with any editor except PS.  The only disadvantage is if you edit in PS and decide not to save.  You will already have the TIF, and if you don't want it, you have to delete it in LR. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

"then LR creates a TIF there and then," this is the part I'm referring too!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to mikeobe

mikeobe wrote:

"then LR creates a TIF there and then," this is the part I'm referring too!

True. But, it you were to open a raw file using PSCS6 and Camera RAW, you would eventually save the image as a PSD, TIF, JPG or some other format, right? If that were not the case, why would you even bother to open the file in PS? Assuming you do plan on saving the file from PS after editing, then edit the image and just click SAVE. That will overwrite the TIF file that LR created and update the preview in LR. 

If you don't want TIF format, then change the edit preferences in LR. You can select PSD or TIF, 8 or 16 bit, sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhotoRGB, and you can  set the resolution in PPI. If you want JPG or another color profile, then you will have to do that another way.

The above is not a compatibility issue. If you don't want the TIF or PSD file, then you can save as a different format directly from PS after editing, or export the TIF file to another file format from LR. Of course, you can choose to delete the TIF afterward if you choose, and perhaps this is an extra step you don't want. Seems like a minor point to me. If that extra step is not acceptable, then spend the money on PSCS6 and the latest version of Camera Raw.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to Lou Dina

K, thanks for your patience,  I think I finally get it! Sheesh!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 11:32 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

I am using LR 4.1rc and ACR 6.7rc and i can no longer get the warning about rendering in LR and the reset warnings button is greyed out. Tried trashing preferences and restarting LR, but no success.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to David MMMM

David MMMM wrote:

I am using LR 4.1rc and ACR 6.7rc and i can no longer get the warning about rendering in LR and the reset warnings button is greyed out. Tried trashing preferences and restarting LR, but no success.

The warning should no longer be needed if you are using ACR 6.7rc, since it uses the same raw processing algorithm as LR 4.1rc. The warning that offers you the option of rendering in LR is there ONLY if you have an older version of ACR. That is as it should be. Now that both ACR and LR have the same exact raw processing modules and formulas, you don't have to worry about getting different results, regardless of which one you use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 6:28 AM   in reply to dmiller62

dmiller62 wrote:

There is nothing here going on that should be a mystery. The bottom line is this:

- PV2012 requires Camera RAW 7.0.

if the only RAW 7.0 plugin tha's released is for CS6, then anyone who wants a fully bridged/compatible workflow between LR4 and Photoshop will need to upgrade to CS6.

I'm testing Bridge CS6, and LR4 adjustments still don't show in bridge although it uses camera raw 7. Shouldn't it?

If I adjust in LR4, it won't show in Bridge CS6 (it even maintains the settings I previously applied in ACR 7). While if I adjust it in ACR 7, back in LR 4, it will show up as it should (even warning if the settings was changed in another app, and show I keep that setting or the one I'm changing in LR4).

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points