Skip navigation
BillCz
Currently Being Moderated

Move to new computer, get "An error occurred while reading files or writing files to disc. The disc

Mar 31, 2012 7:14 AM

Tags: #catalog #transfer #computer #move #new_computer #external_drive #pe6
  • I tried to move my PE6 install and catalog to a new computer.  It was on a Dell Windows XP machine, and I moved it to a Toshiba Windows 7 (64 bit) machine.  I have always kept my photo files on an external hard drive.  My photo library is 50GB, 10,000 files.  Here is what I did.
    • Copied the original PE6 install file to the Toshiba.  Installed but didn’t activate it.
    • Copied the entire My Catalog folder to the proper Windows 7 location.
    • Plugged the external drive into the Toshiba.  Made sure the same drive letter as before (E).
    • Fired up PE6 on Toshiba.  Looked good in Organizer.  Everything seemed to be there, but I didn't try to make changes at that point.
    • Deactivated PE6 on the Dell.  Activated on the Toshiba.

• Then I realized that it is not right.  I can edit Keywords and Rating stars on the pics, but not dates, captions or notes.  I get “An error occurred while reading files or writing files to disc. The disc may be full or there may be problems with the source media.”
  • Only a fraction of the external drive is in use.
  • I can access the files on the external drive with another app (Windows Photo Viewer).
  • I tried Reconnect All Missing Files.  Somewhat ambiguously, it says “There are no files to reconnect.”
  • In the properties in the Organizer for each picture are the proper file names and paths.  Folder view works fine in Organizer.
  • I can put new files in the same external drive directories, import them into PE6, then edit them normally.

What is the easiest way to get Organizer properly connected to my files?  I suppose I could reimport all the pics on the new machine, but I assume I'd lose some of my metadata.  So that is out of the question.

Thanks,

Bill

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to BillCz

I never used PSE6, so I don't know its options for managing the catalog, but open the Catalog Manager and see if there are options to repair, then optimize your catalog.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to BillCz

Well, the recommended way to move the catalog is to use PSE6's Organizer on your old computer to make a full backup onto your EHD.  (That will backup the catalog and media files).  Then, on your new computer, open the PSE6 Organizer and restore from that backup.

Your method seems to make sense, but....

Ken

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 4:19 AM   in reply to BillCz

Are you sure that file paths are correct? I say this because under XP they would have originally pointed to Documents & Settings/My Pictures whereas on W7 it will be User/Pictures, albeit you are using an external hd.

Take a look at this knowledge base note on the correct procedure for back-up and restore.

I think writing metadata to files for such a large catalog will be a thankless task.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/backup-restore-move-catal og-photoshop.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 8:56 AM   in reply to BillCz

Hi Bill,

Your license allows two activations per PSE version, so you'll be OK on that score.

I'd simply restore the catalog to a "normal" directory, such as "C:\Data\PSEcatalogs\oldcatalog", so you don't have to worry about user accounts, permissions, etc.  That also makes it easy to include the catalog directory in any scheduled backup you do.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 12:41 PM   in reply to BillCz

Hi Bill,

BillCz wrote:

I don't really follow your comment on restoring, but maybe I'll figure it out when I actually do it.

All I'm saying is that the "My Pictures" directory is a virtual directory and Organizer's option to use a directory "Accessible for the current user only" uses that directory.  Permissions on that directory allow only the user account that created that directory to access it.

The Organizer's option to use a directory "Accessible to all users" uses the hidden "\AppData" directory.

If you use what Organizer terms a "Custom Location" for the location of your catalog, it's in a regular, visible directory.  You don't have to worry about permissions or hassles accessing it.  It's easy to find and add to whatever backup strategy you use -- for example, I simply use WinZip to zip it up and move the zip file to a USB stick.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to BillCz

In PSE10's Catalog Manager, you have to click on the "Convert" button in the upper right corner for it to look for older versions of the catalog.

(Glad you're up and running!)

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points