Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

GPU Accelerated De-interlacing issues

Jan 25, 2012 8:18 AM

Having just bought an Nvidia GPU with which to use GPU acceleration, I was very excited to use it for my latest project. I ran some tests on footage and the scaling and deinterlacing is so much better and faster using GPU acceleration. Unfortunately I have come across an issue. When a timelime contains footage with mixed field order (e.g. some footage interlaced and some progressive), Premiere Pro is unable to de-interlace the footage on export. I know this is the case as I disable GPU acceleration and went back to software mode, and the footage exported correctly with all footage deinterlaced. Is this a known issue and is there a way around this, I don't really want to create proxy's for all my footage just so they can all play nicely together in a timeline with the same field order. Cheers in advance!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 3:24 AM   in reply to medi-ochre

Hi I am also having this issue. Can anyone help?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to medi-ochre

Hi medi-ochre,

I can confirm the problem.

My workaround at the moment is to use the direct export via Premiere Pro instead of the Media Encoder. Most of the time this works. Of course you have to wait till the rendering ends to go on working with PremPro.

One time I disabled the GPU acceleration for the Mercury Engine in PremPro and reactivated it afterwards - the interlacing issues were gone. May by by chance? Professional editing software where the render result depends on fortune? Hmm...

One time nothing helped and I hade to "deinterlace" (frameblending) every single clip on the sequenz "by hand".

BTW if you take a sequenz with interlaced footage and take it (nest it) in an sequenz that is progressive, you will get the same awful result with interlaced frames in an progressive output.

I had no time for further testing (I have to waste my time with Adobe bugs...). Do you know if this issue is mentioned as bug?

May be we have only to wait for the next release (6.0) to give Adobe our bugs to get this bug fixed.

Sorry for my sarcasm, but after over 10 years working professional with Adobe products and trying to get bugs fixed or getting help via the support this is my only way to deal with that.

Greetings

"Pristidae"

CS5.5

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Nvidia GeForce GTX 285

16 GB RAM

RAID0 for project data

Processor?? One fast Intel CPU..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to Pristidae

I made mention of this as well. When using GPU acceleration PP CS5.5 cannot deinterlace the video on export. It also can give a color shift when cetain effects and filters are used with transitions.

I cannot wait to see what PP CS 6 can offer. I hope we get true realtime and not just realtime previews. Edius has always been true realtime.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to medeamajic

Hey guys. if this bug is as prevalent as it sounds, please report it here. Adobe relies on users to help squash bugs.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to medeamajic

I hope we get true realtime and not just realtime previews

I'm curious what you think the difference is?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Download the trial version of Edius and see for yourself.  If you have a PIP or a title with fast movement they will jitter a little when using PP or even FCP. Edius is smooth. I used Edius for years. The realtime of Edius is awesome but the DVD Blu-ray option are not that great. PP suites my needs a little better but I Can see why some folks like Edius better.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to medeamajic

That doesn't really answer the question about what you think the differences are between "true real time" and simply "real time previews".

(On a side note, how do you have fast motion in titles?)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Actually it does answer the question.

You asked "how do you have a PIP or a title with fast moton"? Is this a joke a real questions?

I will answer your question even thought I hope your are pulling my leg but I don't think you are are you would not have responded at all to my post. Just copy and paste the url below into your browser. Premiere Pro CS 4.2 or even CS 5.5 does not play as smooth as Edius. FCP's and PP's realtime previews look a tad bit jerky with fast motion for title or PIPs. Obvioulsy what I did with the PIP you can do with titles incase you didn't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XqRrRw5LOo

Having said that you never know if PP CS 4.2 or even CS 5.5 will drop frames or not. With Edius I think the blue line means it is true realtime but I have not used it in over 4 years. Edius does not have a half resolution options. It is always true realtime. I hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 5:13 AM   in reply to medeamajic

Hi medeamajic, hi Jim Simon,

of course this is an interesting discussion.

Me too tried another product: just bought Avid Media Composer because of the experience with Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Support, but I will go on working with both - for the next time. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I hope there will always be some competing products (Edius, PremPro, MC, FinalCut, Vegas Pro ...) so each company tries to get better, and we, the professional users, can benefit from this competition. Adobe just had a big chance to win new customers with that flagging FinalCutX. But in my opinion Adobe has to do more than building on a weak competitor. Adobe has to proof that they care about us, the customers, and our problems. That the marketing guys (or the product description: automatic deinterlacing...) don't tell about features that don't work in reality. That really bugs (not new features) are resolved within one version without buying the next version!

And @medeamijic: Yes you can wait for 6.0. It will be offered in the next weeks, because I just got an invention for a roadshow in beginning may, where they will demonstrate the new version. The question is: Will you be willing to pay for the new version, just to get some really bugs fixed?

But all of that doesn't concern the theme of this thread, the interlaced problem/bug.

I tried to figure out, if there are many others who have to struggle with that problem and if anyone has a solution for that or knows the reason for that problem.

I knew that there would be the usual link to the bugreport:

@lavidoe: How effective do you think it is to report a bug some weeks before a new release?

Greetings

"Pristidae"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Pristidae

"Pristidae" - There are no guarantees your bug will be fixed by just reporting it. But when lots of people complain about that bug it gets Adobes attention and makes it more of a priority. Who knows, maybe its already be fixed in CS6. But its better to let them know than not let them know.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to Pristidae

Pristidae,

I admit there is a bug in PP that needs to be fixed. The problem is that all NLE systems have bugs and little quirks. Having said that I would like to see PP CS 6.0 be true realtime like Edius. I don't think Avid is true realtime like Edius and Newtek's Speed Edit. Keep in mind that while both  Edius and Speed Edit are true realtime they both had limitations as far as using masking layers and keying layers together. They also did not have as good of keyframing for all the filters. The realtime of Edius was great but the restrictions were a pain in the buttocks.  I like Edius but the intergation of the Adobe products is what makes PP CS 5.5 out shine the competition even if they cannot fix the interlacing and color shifting bug in CS 6.0 (although I think they will).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to medi-ochre

Yes I am also having this issue and reported this thread to the bug report

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 3:17 PM   in reply to Northern-Loop

I have 2 clips 1920*1080 25p and 1440*1080i 1.33 - If I export at 1920*1080p the interlaced footage is still there. If I export at 1440*1080p its fine. Only seems to be a problem with 1920 HD footage.

This was fine on CS5 its only occured on CS5.5

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:28 AM   in reply to medi-ochre

Hi

My clips are 1920x1080i and have come from an Atomos Samurai and are listed as 'unknown field dominance' in the bin.  Have tried modifying properties for each clip to 'upper' and to 'lower' field but it makes no difference to the output via AME.

I am also trying to export at 1920x1080 25p.  Have not tried any lower resolutions to see if this solves the problem.  My workaround has been to disable the MPE GPU acceleration which gets rid of the interlace problem but increases the encode time x 10 which has been a pain given that there are 300+ timelines in this project.

May try variations on export when I have a moment spare and report back.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to Rob Gibby

source footage is 50i - forgot to mention that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to Rob Gibby

Rob yeah using AME also had the interlaced footage. If you export from PP direct it deinterlaces it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to Northern-Loop

Not for me!  The only way I could get deinterlaced output was to switch off the Mercury Engine.  Slower but got the job done.  Also AME seemed more stable with the MPE switched off... ?  Less of the annoying stalls which seem to happen so often. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 6:34 AM   in reply to Rob Gibby

Rob Gibby wrote:

Not for me!  The only way I could get deinterlaced output was to switch off the Mercury Engine.  Slower but got the job done.  Also AME seemed more stable with the MPE switched off... ?  Less of the annoying stalls which seem to happen so often. 

I agree. I think Adobe should give Open CL a try for the Windows OS.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points