Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Pixel Bender Plug In

Mar 23, 2012 8:48 AM

Tags: #pixel_bender

Hello.

I can see you integrated the Oil Painter Filter.

What about integrating Pixel Bender as a whole?

Thank You.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to Royi A

Hi,

Sorry, but we don't have any plans to provide support for more Pixel Bender filters in CS6. Ps CS6 also won't be able to load and use the Pixel Bender plug-in for Photoshop that's on Adobe Labs.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to SG...

well that sux.... another stillborn child.

Sorry, but we don't have any plans to provide support for more Pixel Bender filters in CS6. Ps CS6 also won't be able to load and use the Pixel Bender plug-in for Photoshop that's on Adobe Labs.

why the decision to kill it?

looks like you killed as many features as you implemented new ones (options in liquify gone, pixelbender gone, twain support killed a few version ago, ... etc...)

ok i admit it´s a bit overstated.

but i really liked some of the pixelbender plugs

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

I think it ultimately came down to not having the demand to justify the necessary resources to keep it moving along.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:22 AM   in reply to SG...

SG... wrote:

I think it ultimately came down to not having the demand to justify the necessary resources to keep it moving along.

well your management really has it with demand.... right?

i heard the same excuse about 16/32 bit filter support.. for all filters in PS.

maybe you should invite some of the managers into this forum.. so they KNOW what is demanded.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4283357#4283357

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to Royi A

I agree.  That really sucks!!!  I love pixel bender.  Not being able to use it in CS6 is going to be a pain.  Guess I'll have to keep CS5 operational just so that I can use that plug-in.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 31, 2012 7:20 PM   in reply to SG...

SG..., someone at yesterday's Connect session asked about Pixel Bender, and one of the Adobe folks there said sure, it would be available as a download.

Do some of you have different information than others?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 9:25 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel,

Yes, the information given in the Connect session was not accurate. At this time, CS6 will not properly work if you try to load the Adobe Labs distributed PB plug-in for Ps CS5. There are also no working plans to support upgrading it to work in CS6.

I and others would much rather state that the Ps Pixel Bender plug-in is continuing, but that's not what I'm hearing from the proverbial horse's mouth.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 4:35 AM   in reply to Royi A

This is very bad news. You should ask yourself, why the demand was not hight enough. The reason is, because Pixel Bender was a very well hidden secret by Adobe. Nearly nobody has ever heard of the Adobe Labs! Why don`t you make a link to Adobe Labs in Photoshop`s help menu? If Pixel Bender had been integrated in CS5, people would have loved it and there would have been "demand". 99% of the people I teach Photoshop have never ever heard of Pixel Bender. So what will be the future of other PS related Labs stuff? DNG profile editor, lens profile creator etc. Those programs are simply unknown to most people. But you shouldn`t conclude that there is no demand.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to klsteven

This is bad news. It's a great plugin but for those of us that only can only afford laptops without separate graphic cards on them we're out of luck. It literally won't run or open up using ram from your motherboard. Like someone said early a person will have to go back and forth to CS5 or buy a laptop with a graphic card, which I can't afford right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to Benchie

Just a second thought about the missing demand for PB: That app was shown even before CS4 came out. But it simply did not get developed any further. So many basic features that were missing from the beginning and never got added. How can you expect to get attention for such a plugin?

- No colormanagement

- not even hand or zoom tool (I know the shortcuts...) That`s a joke, right?

- Very few really useful filters? Most of them are needed once a year. Why didn`t you make some useful ones? Did you really expect those few users that actually found the Adobe Labs to also find the Adobe exchange platform to find some useful filters?

You nearly took Pixel Bender any chance from the beginning. You should have done it right, but you did not, so it was just a waste of engineering power.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:47 PM   in reply to Royi A

I and a lot of other people are REALLY REALLY hoping Adobe will reconcider its decision to kill the Pixel Bender plug-in.  It's a gem.  How could Adobe possibly benefit by not making CS6 and Pixel Bender compatible?

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,929 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 6, 2012 9:13 PM   in reply to Repp7

If we need to occassionally resort to the 32bit version of Photoshop to use some filters, then I guess we could as easily leave CS5 installed for Pixelbender.  A bit of a clunky solution mind you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 7, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Repp7

Repp7 wrote:

How could Adobe possibly benefit by not making CS6 and Pixel Bender compatible?

That's a great question.

Given that they've embraced the GPU all the more in this new version, and that they ported one of the Pixel Bender plug-ins to become the provided Oil Paint filter (which is good fun to use, by the way), it is a bit hard to imagine that Pixel Bender is deprecated.  Perhaps it just causes too many service calls and Adobe feels the downside is too great.  I wonder how they judge the value to customers (which is fairly intangible to say the least) against their support costs - that can't be easy.

I have no direct experience with Pixel Bender myself, though I have developed my own GPU-capable plug-in framework independently, so I do know that it's not an insignificant amount of code!  Mine has Zoom and Hand tools though. 

In any case it's certainly a good idea to keep the prior version of Photoshop around.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 12:45 PM   in reply to Royi A

my cs5 closes wenever i try to ese pixel blender...can u help me w this? im using 64 bit windows ultimate...tnx...Godbless

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to tiagosalva

my cs5 closes wenever i try to use pixel blender...can u help me w this? im using 64 bit windows ultimate...tnx...Godbless

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 12:47 PM   in reply to SG...

my cs5 closes wenever i try to use pixel blender...can u help me w this? im using 64 bit windows ultimate...tnx...Godbless

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to tiagosalva

Tiago, this forum is more about the Photoshop CS6 beta, which WILL ultimately solve your problem , but I'll see if I can help...

First thing I'd do is to visit the web site of the maker of your video card, and get the latest display driver for your hardware and OS.  Display driver updates solve many problems.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to SG...

Hi,

I found the description about Pixel Bender in Photoshop CS6 features list.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/features._sl_id-contentfilter_ sl_featuredisplaytypes_sl_all.html

it says;

"Adobe Pixel Bender Develop and/or share filters for Photoshop CS6 using GPU-acceleratedAdobe Pixel Bender® technology (available separately).*"

Is that true ?

Cheers,

Hiroshi

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 11:35 PM   in reply to Royi A

Sorry guys...no Pixel Bender.  We'll fix the website.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 11:51 PM   in reply to Royi A

That really is disappointing!  I'm not alone in hoping that Adobe will still change it's mind and make CS6 compatable with Pixel Bender.  It's a gem of a program, and there are a lot of people that will want to continue using it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 11:55 PM   in reply to Pattie F

Pattie,

I am awfully sorry pixel bender haven't got opportunity to survive...

Thanks anyway!

Hiroshi

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 2:58 AM   in reply to tiagosalva

Tiago: here is the Pixelbender forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/pixelbender

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,524 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 27, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to Royi A

We may have seen the "golden age" of computing come and go already, where complex, high-powered software that requires more than minimal knowledge to work is avaialable to those who are willing to put in the effort. 

Support costs for things that don't "just work" must be high, because virtually everyone in the software industry seems generally to be eliminating expert "geek" stuff and pushing more mass-produced, pre-packaged, dumbed-down systems and applications.  I'm sorry for stepping on any Adobe toes here.

The modern trend is moving toward providing more bland, pre-packaged software for the masses that doesn't cost as much to support - but which also doesn't provide all the power of its predecessors.  I don't know if lowering support cost is Adobe's main motivation here, or maybe they just want to gather up their GPU development stuff for their own use, but the elimination of the Pixel Bender capability just seems wrong for a product that is at the cutting edge of graphics technology.  I feel sorry for the companies that grew up around building Pixel Bender plug-ins/applets.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 3:56 PM   in reply to Pattie F

Seems to me the decision to remove PB from photoshop was not due to a lack or demand but rather a lack of resources or resource mismanagement on Adobe's part. How were you able to acurately determine that this "demand" you speak of, did not exist, and within less than a single product cycle? That's a blanket excuse, in my opinion.

Everyone I know loved it. Everyone I've read about in the forums loves it. Across the board. I love it. The things you can do with Pixel Bender filter is cutting edge. I have to go back to 3DS Max to obtain some of the same looks I got here in a few minutes. I'm not expecting you'll reverse your decision of supporting this, but a little more forthcoming honesty to the community that supports you would be nice.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2012 7:41 AM   in reply to Royi A

I'm quite angry about this change, too, as I have invested quite a bit of time in writing PB shaders for my personal use, fully expecting to use them a few versions forward. There is no upgrade path or alternative solution aside from MATLAB, a GIMP/Gluas combination or writing an actual Plug-In (which means a lot more work and dealing with ancient 68K relics like PiPL resources and stuff like that, and how many people really know enough C++?). Plus, PB was great for prototyping stuff and testing ideas where a fully fledged plug-in just wasn't feasible, or where a specific problem could be more easily fixed in code than with Photoshop's built-in tools. I'd write a quick PB shader if I had a very complex edge fringing problem Photoshop's tools couldn't fix without excessive manual work, but I certainly wouldn't write and debug a plug-in in such a situation.

Any word on whether PB will at least continue to be supported inside After Effects?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points