Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Didn't they try this blur update in Lr 2 also?

Mar 31, 2012 10:10 AM

Seems like Deja Vu to me. I seem to recall they tried to pass off this blurred image and no update until releasing the mouse in Lr2 when everyone was complaining about speed issues.

People better start making it clear this is not a solution or they may find this is how Lr4 will work going forward. I don't know how anyone can work like this. I sure can't. Going back to 4.0 until this is fixed, if it ever is.

If no one starts complaining about this issue they may move forward with it like it is and that would be the death of this product to many. What the heck were they thinking?

If you don't know what I'm referring to, check this thread. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/982697?tstart=60

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2012 12:43 PM   in reply to Danny Michael

As the thread starter at the link above I completely agree. I cannot work with 4.1 at all becuase of this

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Danny Michael

No.

The previous approach was to use "pixel doubling", meaning to render at 1/4 resolution first, and then update to full-resolution when time was available.  This approach renders at full resolution but without the sharpening applied.

Frankly, I don't even notice it.  I don't care if sharpening is applied or not while I'm adjusting the general image tone.  Note that the sharpening IS applied when adjusting the sliders in the detail panel, where it actually matters.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

I'm running 4.1RC on Windows.

I don't know if they intend to leave this feature in or not, but I know for a fact that the sliders in the detail panel are supposed to update instantly WITH SHARPENING APPLIED as you move the sliders, and they do exactly that on my Windows machine.  If they aren't doing that for you, then that's a bug in the implementation.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent wrote:

I get a blurred image until I release and move my mouse off the slider in 4.1RC.

Using the sliders in the detail panel?  The need to move teh mouse off the sliders in the other panels is a confirmed bug.

I remember they tried this "hack" before and there was an outcry of complaints and they changed it back

As I described in detail above, that is not quite correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent,

I am seeing the exact same thing. Mac, Snow Leopard. It is not possible to

tell what individual adjustments in the develope module have done until you

release and wait for update. This is kinda like "hit and miss". Not good. Did

not update to 4.1RC on windows 7 laptop so can't speak to that.

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent,

Did you reinstall LR4 and then update to RC4.1 again or just reinstall??????

asu_chic

sorry, you must have read my mind and beat me to it!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent wrote:

Now I feel like I'm losing my mind. It works correctly.

What do you mean "correctly", specifically?

Correctly should be:

Non-detail panel sliders:  Sharpening is not applied until time is available, but is applied as soon as it is, no mouse-up, no moving off of slider required (note that this is not how it works for me on Windows).

Detail panel sliders:  Sharpening always applied as you move the sliders.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 8:20 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

Ditto. I have just reinstalled LR4 and will now try a fresh update to the RC and advise.

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent wrote:

Everything I'm referring to is using the Sharpening slider in the Detail panel.

By correctly I mean that now when I move the slider I see immediate feedback with no blurred image.

Previously, I saw a blurred image until I released my mouse.

Okay, so let me ask you this.

If it worked as intended - as I described above - would it be okay?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent wrote:

Yes, it works now as intended. I have no idea why my previous installation was broken other than possibly some sort of installation glitch. I'm now using 4.1 RC without issue.

Okay, so to be clear, you don't mind not having sharpening applied during sliders movements for the sliders outside of the detail panel (saturation, exposure, etc.)?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

Lee Jay

The problem was that the sliders in the develope module did not respond until you actually took the mouse off the slider and there

was no visual  indication of what your effect would be until it "reset". Not usuable. I can report that the fresh reinstall of the 4-1RC

over a fresh install of LR4 is now working on my mac/Snow Leopard. Note that I did upgrade from the beta and do not know if this

is of any significance. I did have to download a fresh LR4 as the beta is expired and the sliders are now working as they should with

no lag in updating.

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent,

Your description of the effect I was seeing is exactly dead on and yes, I am glad that it appears resolved. It was unusable.

Hope the other RC1 issues discussed in other threads are resolved quickly. I kinda wonder about the install over the Beta

thingy as the file downloaded shows the same file size and name. It does not look like the RC1 was changed, but I guess

we may never know.

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

Well, I can see how the lack of sharpening while adjusting sharpening could be a problem!

Must be a bug of some sort.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

Likewise! I did not want to believe what I was seeing. I really wanted to wait on LR 4.1 until

the actual update was done but need the MKIII update as the new kid arrives tomorrow!

asu_chic

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

I went back to LR 4 when I saw the "blur" effect... I'm also suprised that so few people are complaining about it... For me it is clear. If LR4.1 has it , then I will stay with LR4. I hope Abode gets it fixed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 10:42 AM   in reply to correspondanc

I hope this is fixed as well.  I will remove 4.1 and resinstall 4.0 and then 4.1 from a fresh download as tiem allows in the next day or so and report back

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points