Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Emailing a pdf "invitation" with rsvp

Mar 31, 2012 6:51 PM

Tags: #pdf #email #indesign_cs5 #mac_os_10.5.8

Can this be done? I envision emailing an invitation to a database of users. I want them to be able to open it (it will contain photo(s) and text), and then be able to click on "rsvp" which will immediately open a new email message addressed to myself where they can reply.

Thank you for responding!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to AccioWand

You can create an invitation in InDesign and turn it into a PDF file, but to give it form fields, that will have to be done in Acrobat. You can also use Acrobat to distribute your forms so they can be returned.

You should read the Acrobat 9 or X Help chapter on Forms, and ask questions in the Acrobat forums.

Do you have a copy of Adobe Acrobat (not the free Adobe Reader)?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to AccioWand

You can create the pdf document from indesign with the photos and text , and the "rsvp" :-you can make it the hyperlink, In the hyperlink panel choose the E-mail and define the e-mail address and the subject line you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 3:02 AM   in reply to AccioWand

I'm not sure waht the price is to buy a stand-alone Acrobat, but you should compare it carefully to the cost of purchasing an upgrade to one of the Suite packages that includes Acrobat. If you purchase a CS5.5 license or upgrade now, you will get a free upgrade to CS6 when it is released.

The downside to the suite packages is that they must be upgraded inthe future as a single unit, but if you upgrade all your applicatins at the same time this is less expensive than doing the individual apps contained in the suites.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 6:50 AM   in reply to AccioWand

>I can create the pdf with a link to an email reply; however, it is 

"clutzy" in that the user must double-click to actually open the pdf 

file. If I can avoid this, purchasing Acrobat will be worth it.

No amount of tinkering with the PDF file will make it do that. If you are mailing this PDF around, it totally and solely depends on the mail program *your recipients are using* whether they will "see" the PDF immediately, or as a regular attachment.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to AccioWand

AccioWand wrote:

Thanks. I am using the first release of InDesign

Do you mean Indesign Version 1? That was barely usable.

The earliest versions eligible for upgrade pricing to CS5.5 are CS3.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to AccioWand

No amount of upgrading will solve a flawed concept. Not that using the newer version(s) of at least ID (and perhaps Acrobat) isn't a good thing. Especially seeing how upgrading now will also include a free upgrade to ID 6 when it arrives.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to AccioWand

All things being equal, I would say that either you should but a CSD5.5 license now and get the free upgrade -- the CS6 license will almost surely be more expensive than the curent price for CS5.5, and you'll get two-for-one by buying now, or you should wait and subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud, presuming you want to move int the 21st century and take advantage of the features that have been added in the last 7 years.

http://www.adobe.com/products/discount-software-coupons.html?promoid=J OLJG

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html?promoid=JFQGI

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points