Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Setting preferences

Mar 1, 2012 9:52 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2012 9:52 PM   in reply to Community Help

Adobe support states that "Press and hold AltControlShift (Windows) or OptionCommandShift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator." or deleting the AIPrefs from the application folder will delete the prefs file and reset the prefs. NOT TRUE!

The keyboard commands do NOT work. You must manually delete the file. I have tested this exhaustively on a PC (win 7 64bit/CS 5.5) and on Macs.

Please, Adobe, update you application support to reflect this appalling shortcoming.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Mar 2, 2012 1:37 AM   in reply to keereekee

This photoshop instruction manual says to press alt/command/shift (on a mac) will reset the prefs, but the Illustrator manual says to find the current Illustrator preferences and save them.  Having failed to find the startup drive/Users/(username)/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings/en_US (where they are supposed to be), I'm not getting very far.  Please help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 3:38 AM   in reply to keereekee

Hi Keereekee

I´ve tested in Windows 7 64 bits and it works correctlly in my side.

Illustrator CS5 does not show any warning...but reset normally the preferences.

Best Regards

Gustavo.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to Community Help

Hello Gustavo,

Using keyboard modifying keys :

[ Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator. ]

will reset some application prefs but in certain cases where there is a serious conflict in the application you

must delete manually from the AIPref folder:

PC(Win 7) <startup drive>\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings\en_US*\AIPrefs.

Mac OSX <startup drive>/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings/en_US*/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 6:34 AM   in reply to keereekee

Hi Keereekee

Sure. You are right.

One thing it´s good to know is in Windows systems..normally the folder where AiPrefs are located is an hidden folder. So...to have a good shortcut...it´s best to type AiPrefs in Windows search engine (or Adobe Illustrator Prefs in the Mac OS finder).

And like this page in user guide describe, it´s safe to remove the entire Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings folder. This folder contains various preferences that can be regenerated.

Best Regards

Gustavo.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 6:34 AM   in reply to Community Help

Hello Carol,

I am assuming that you are on a MAC

For Mac OSX Hold down: Command, Option, Shift while starting up Photoshop. A dialog box will appear asking if you wish to delete the preferences/settings file.

Select yes.

To delete the actual file go to: ( Mac OSX )

Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings

The file will be named: Adobe Photoshop CS5 Prefs.psp

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 10:06 PM   in reply to Community Help

can anyone help me...I make rectangle and then try to scale down and they go out of shape, and this is happening on text as well.  I thought it was the stroke preference in the preference panel but it is on to keep the strokes even while scaling.  I cannot for the life of me figure out what is happening.  As an example.... I make a rectangle box to make the plug for an electrical socket (very rustic), and then I put two rectangle "Prongs" coming out of it...when I scale it down the two prongs are WAY out of shape, one being almost gone but a faint line, the other is almost as thick as three would be together.  I have typed plug beside it and once resized the word plug is crazy too with the l as a faint lin and the g has the bottom cut off....please can anyone answer this question asap....? 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 2:58 AM   in reply to keereekee

keereekee, Carol, you may try to  Move the folder

kmeaney, apart from the above, do you have Align to Pixel Grid ticked (to can untick it in the Transform panel)?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Thanks Jacob, it was the align to pixel grid....I thought I had un-checked it so I wasn't using it, but saw when you mentioned it that I had in fact turned it back on.  Thanks so much, a lot of future headaches averted....LOL

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to kmeaney

You are welcome, kmeaney.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to Community Help

HELP!! I removed the Illustrator folder after reading, "Note: It is safe to remove the entire Adobe Illustrator CS5 Settings folder. This folder contains various preferences that can be regenerated." I removed it from my HD but didn't trash it, put it on the desktop. When I opened Illustrator again I have lost all the tools. There is not longer the settings for Essentials, Painting, etc. When I click on the drop down Window for tools, they are all gone. I've rebooted the computer but nothing has changed. I'm freeking out because I am working on a final presentation!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 1:46 AM   in reply to marym51

Not sure where "Essentials, Paintings, etc." is since I've never seen those things regarding Illustrator.

However, if you simply moved the Settings older to your desktop, move it back to the Adobe Illustrator application folder and relaunch Illustrator.

From the sound of things, you didn't move the Settings folder, but some other folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 4:49 AM   in reply to [scott w]

Hi

Marym51

Essencials, Painting like you mentioned are workspaces. If you acess Window menu and try to open the panels you use...are you able to do it?

Best Regards

Gustavo

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 11:05 AM   in reply to Gustavo Del Vechio

Hi Gustavo,

When I click on the Window drop down menu where you can choose Tools, Brushes, etc. there are no longer options available. They are all gone.

I no longer have choices in Workspace. In fact, workspace is gone. All I have is a blank page with no tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to [scott w]

Hi Scott,

Essentials is the workspace option that has disappeared on my screen. I have no tools any more. If I click on Windows for the drop down of all the options to use, I have none.

I removed the Illustrator Settings CS 5 as the instructions said but put it on my desktop in case. When I discovered what happened, I tried to put the folder back where it was and it won't take it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to marym51

Hi marym51

It´s very strange. Never listened to this problem.

Does the problem persist if you try to reinstall the Adobe illustrator?

Please let me know.

Best Regards

Gustavo.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to Community Help

marym51,

#1 What operating system? OSX or Windows?

#2 When you tried to move/copy the settings folder back to the original location

was Illustrator still open? If so, you should close it and make sure it is completely

closed ie for Windows check the Windows Task Manager for Illustrator.exe.

#3  When you tried to move/copy the settings folder back to the original location was there

any error message such as a Windows permissions block/access denied message(If you use Windows).

If so, there are steps you may take to allow this action.

Finally, I believe Gustavo makes a sensible suggestion to reinstall the software.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 6:55 AM   in reply to marym51

marym,

In a case like this, between uninstalling and reinstalling, it is always best to use the Cleaner Tool.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to Gustavo Del Vechio

Hi Gustavo,

I haven't tried that. I'm not sure how to do it. Do I have to remove illustrator and then download it again? I appreciate your help.

Thanks so much,

Mary

Sent from my iPad

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2012 8:58 PM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

Hi Jacob,

Thank you so much! I'm a little confused at the instructions but maybe it will make sense when I do it.

I really appreciate your help, Jacob.

Mary

Sent from my iPad

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to marym51

Hi marym51

Yes...please remove Adobe Illustrator from your operacional system then install it again (not necessary to download it again if you already have the setup).

Please let me know what happens after reinstalling. Thank you for bringing this issue.

Best Regards

Gustavo.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to marym51

You are welcome, Mary.

Have you made things work?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...