• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5.5 - Round one corner of a rectangle?

Participant ,
Mar 21, 2012 Mar 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

I saw a vid a little while ago that showed me how to easily round one corner of a rectangle and I can't remember how to do it.  Im sure its very simple - could someone enlighten me please??

Ta

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look on the link

This is the easiest way to do i.e using the script other wise it will invovlve lot of steps to round just one corner.

http://theitbros.com/adobe-illustrator-cs5-round-one-corner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could simply buy Vector Scribe. Might be one of the smartest plug-in investments you'll ever do...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The itbros script looks good, but you'll need to know the exact corner radius you want—or, run the script multiple times as you sort it out.

I have two different tools in my Ai arsenal.

I bought VectorScribe, and it's awesome. It offers a lot more than just rounding single corners.

www.astutegraphics.com

And my other corner rounding solution is developed by CValley Inc called "Xtream Path." It is also very cool!

http://www.cvalley.com/products/xtreampath/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's beyond belief that such a simple task can't be done in illustrator in 2012. Just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's beyond belief...

Except to devotees predisposed to defense of the indefensible.

Smart geometric primitives, Adobe. Take a look at your other drawing program. But no rush; you're only decades late on this.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2014 May 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i mean really lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the procedure includes

multiple fills

round the corner of the 1 fill

the 2 - apply transform effect using the scale or move options so you mask out the rounded corners (making visible just the ones you want)

and depends of the corner you want you use fils and move them over the object

this is a live effect which is the beauty

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well to me it does not seem to difficult to accomplish even if there is no tool for it.

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/1RoundCorner.mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well to me it does not seem to difficult to accomplish even if there is no tool for it.

Sure, drawing an arbitrary single-cornered, horizontally-aligned rectangle from scratch isn't so time-consuming. But see how long it takes you to add two corners each (different radii) to three existing rectangles which are all at odd angles. Doing it manually becomes less viable rather rapidly.

DF

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, drawing an arbitrary single-cornered, horizontally-aligned rectangle from scratch isn't so time-consuming. But see how long it takes you to add two corners each (different radii) to three existing rectangles which are all at odd angles. Doing it manually becomes less viable rather rapidly.

DF

Is that what the OP asked?

As far as d4efending the indefensible I who and where the poster sees this hapening in this tthread? Or what it has to do with this thread at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add I for one do not see how all of these complaints about what Illustrator has or does not have can serve any purpose on a User to User Forum as there is absolutley nothing any of us as users can do about it, is there a purpose to it?

I would think the feature request forum would be the place to post such concerns or the feature request page.

I really sure you guys think there is a purpose but it eludes me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photo.JPG

if you need the graphic style send me eail sddress

Untitled.png

the upper left corner will be regular

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very interseing one probably could make a sort of template with a rectangle with one round corner one with two and one with three and each could have a round corner radius adjust able independently.

I wonder if they could code that as a tool?

Very interesting and clever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had many approaches in the past, including graphic styles, actions and scripts.

All of them suffered from specific limitations. None of them may be called "beautiful". All of them are just that: Mediocre workarounds.

Although not that old-fogyish as Illustrator, FreeHand and some other programmes are antiquated as well in that area. To me, a true "Smart geometric primitive" would not just offer a couple of predefined corner styles. No, it would allow you to define your own corner styles, comparable to the way you can create corner tiles inside pattern brushes.

That would be an innovation. Just doing it the same way as FreeHand or Draw does at the moment would be a reactionary step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is probably agreed by all that what you say would be fine and as emil has shown the anatomy of the method that vasil posted it also points t6o the fact the mechanism for constructing such a feature is inherent in the Effects current capabilities so it should be possible without restructuring AI to bring this feature into Illustrator.

The question is if so using that same mechanism can the feature be applied to any shape that has corners regardless of whetrherr they are 90º corners or not and I think it is possible and probably not as difficult as my have been thought of in the past, the good thing is that Adobe could develop the feature this way rather than purchasing it.

But unfortunately what we write here will go nowhere since feature request are seldom taken from this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't this more work than just drawing it with the pen like the way Wade suggested. The only advantage I see is if it is reused for a narrow range of the same size objects with sides at 90° angles which in my opinion is not much worth. If you scale down the object it will quickly fall apart and if you scale it up it will quickly limit the size of the possible radius, and also the size of a scaled object will not be reported and control at its effected size. In fact if I have to go that route I would rather use a group of four objects and this will give me the same thing with much greater flexibility to use interactively the transform tools - the image below shows what I mean. Just scale the rounded corner with the transform box holding Shift and move the edges of the other objects to fill gaps or move overlaps. For final usage apply the Unite function of the Pathfinder.

Capture.JPG

Of course the best solution is if Adobe provides a tool or functionality dedicated to do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes then try tweaking the angle afterwards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean afterwards, after uniting with Pathfinder? As i said, you do that before final usage.

But even after that I think it is still less work to tweak it - select the two anchor points of the arc, click on one with the scale tool to place the scale center and Shift drag to create the desired round corner, move/scale snapping the edges of the object to the new size. At least you can do it with interactive tools instead of guessing and entering numeric data in multiple fills after each resize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a step by step way to change the size of a rounded corner - I don't think using the appearance panel takes less clicks and effort, nor it gives more flexibility.

roundCorner.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator bezier support is complete junk. Sure it's an awesome piece of software for logo design and small print jobs and web pieces but just don't call it an illustrator.

If you are into complex vectoring either get plugins like Vectorscribe or XtremePath or just switch to new CorelDRAW X6 or Autodesk Sketchbook 2013. You will be amazed by polygonal control of both, heck X6 even offers vector 3D cast shadow of single two point line if you desire so with one click and drag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2013 Mar 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way for me is to create the rectangle w/one rounded corner in InDesign and save it as an eps then open it in Illustrator. I don't know why Adobe can't make this InDesign feature work in Illustrator too. Maybe next version?

Audrey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2013 Apr 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a simpler way:

1. Create a square or triangle

2. Create a circle with the radious you want your corner to be

3. Copy Circle (if you want more than one corner rounded)

4. Place Circle over the square to create the radious you want on square corner

5. Select Circle and sqaure - make sure circle is on top

6. Click Divide

7. Ungroup it all

8. Delete unessessary parts

9. Select all pieces again

10. Click Unite....Done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange enough, InDesign has it all! Do what ever you want in ID copy and paste into AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that was a lot of really complicated and/or possibly unnecessarily expensive (pluggins!) ways to get a very simple job done.

Believe it or not Illustrator DOES have all the tools you need to accomplish what you need to do.

1. Create your square object.

2. Go to Effect > Stylize > Rounded Corners and choose the radias at which you want the corner rounded.

3. Then use the Scissors tool (its hiding behind the Eraser tool) to cut the object in half or in quarters, depending on what corner you wish to keep rouned.

And whala! You've got your one rounded corner object. 😃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines