Skip navigation
chopsticked
Currently Being Moderated

Text Frames and Threads

Apr 1, 2012 1:18 PM

Well, this has got to be one of the least user intuitive apps I've seen.  Glad it was given to me, they went on to Quark.

These text frames and overset text... Who thought of this.

I have some kind of overset issue.  So, turned on the threads and well, for a 50+ page document, guess what.  The threads aren't conveniently displayed in the page palet (fly-out thing), no.  User must scroll though the (whatever it's called, document, story, chapter), I'll just say document, and then the blue lines representing the threads mysteriously appear and disappear, for given pages.  If I had to guess I'd say there are about 3-5 sets of them at various points throughout the document. When one set ends, the next begins. 

I suppose it was too much to either by default or have an option to allow threads to be seen in the page fly-out thing, so that then it could be expanded to the entire window, and the pages displayed at whatever size necessary to view the entire thread status for the entire document of 50+ pages, naaa - that'd be too easy.  In case there is some issue where it's not displaying all threads at once.

Another funny thing.  I'll just call each "thread group" A, B, C and D.  So that someone responding can actually imagine what is happening.  For the sake of clarity, each thread group is 10 pages long.

A pages 1-10

B pages 11-20

C pages 21-30

D pages 31-40

(If there are supposed to be different thread groups, I'm guessing yes, though it was too difficult to code the app to distinguish one from another).

With group B selected (clicking any text frame in pages 11-20) and the blue thread lines showing, none of the other "groups" display the thread lines.  However, clicking on the lower text frame on the preceding group A, on page 10, then displays the thread from page 10 to 11. How nice is that, wow.  And it goes like this through the document.

CS3, default install settings.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to chopsticked

So what's your question?

My memory is that Quark displays linked frames (and overset text) in much the same way, so I'm not sure why you think that will be easier.

It appears from your description that you have 4 stories that were placed in your document. I don't quite understand what you mean about page 10 though. A screen shot would help. embed it in your next post using the camera icon on the web page, like this:

CameraIcon.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 1:57 PM   in reply to chopsticked

The fact that they are not currently threaded to one another means they are separate stories. It's easy to thread them together, though if that's what you want, though there is really no compelling reason to do so (and it would be a big error to thread a TOC or Index story to anything else).

Click the outport of the last frame on one story, then click inside the first frame of the story you want to follow it. If there was empty space in the last frame of the first story, the second story will flow back to fill it and oopen more space in its last frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 2:42 PM   in reply to chopsticked

The colour of the text threads is based on the colour of the story layer.

I don't quite see how your attitude is going to help you learn anything

about InDesign, though.

Ariel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to chopsticked

You want the multi-color thread then use layers because thread show up as the color of the layer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to chopsticked

chopsticked wrote:

Two text frames overlay eachother on one page, so it gave the impression of only a single text frame on the page

That's user error, not ID. This is a professional application and there is a learning curve. If you ditch the attitude, read the help files, or buy a good book like Sandee Cohen's Visual QuickStart Guide or Real World InDesign (more advanced), or spend some time doing tutorials someplace like Lynda.com you might actually see the logic and utility of how ID works compared to other layout apps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to chopsticked

chopsticked wrote:

Annnd.. Rather than manually clicking to "re-link" each story together, how about a single function to do all at once.  That would save some time and effort.

There are a lot of things that can be done via scripting. This is probably one of them, but I caution you to be careful what you wish for.

You still haven't provided a reson why the currently independent stories SHOULD be linked. More than likely there's a goood reason that they aren't.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to chopsticked

Again that would be user error. One should not be using autoflow to place stories onto pages that already have a full compliment of content.

The only reason I've ever heard that makes any sense for using multiple layers to flow text is if you intend to hide layers to use the same document ofr muliple versions, as in multiple languages (and our main translation volunteer expert feels this is decidedly not a good workflow).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points