Skip navigation
suliabryon
Currently Being Moderated

Microphone issues with Premiere Pro CS5.5 (iMac)

Mar 21, 2012 5:03 PM

Tags: #adobe #pro #audio #premiere

Hello all,

I am a recent convert from Final Cut to Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5, mainly so I can start burning to blu-ray. I am finding the switch a frustrating experience. The latest issue I have is with audio recording. I have an external firewire mic set up that worked flawlessly with Final Cut for two years for recording commentary tracks. Today, I tried recording a commentary track in Premiere Pro, and it worked fine for about an hour, at which point it suddenly stopped. Now I can only reocrd about 6 seconds of audio before it stops recording, and repeated attempts result in a "serious error" and Premiere crashing.

I have searched everywhere and tried everything I can think of. Restarted Premiere. Uninstalled/reinstalled premiere. Shut down/unplugged/replugged in C-1 microphone. Updated software. Restarted iMac. Nothing works. I am out of things to try, and hoping someone here might have a suggestion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to suliabryon

The only thing I can suggest is to use a mic that connects normally, via the mic input on the computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 3:02 PM   in reply to suliabryon

Hi,

What is the version of Premiere Pro CS5.5 ?

Enable the root account in the mac, and test premiere pro cs5.5 with the same setup.

If the setup works then log back into your regular user account and test the application once again.

See how that works.

Good Luck,

Chesterr

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to suliabryon

Hi,

As far as updating the application is concerned you can update it from within the program menu.

Go to help in the menu bar then click on updates.

Adobe Application manager will automatically find the relevant updates.

Make sure once the updates are downloading you have to quit Premiere Pro.

BTW here are the instructions on how to enable a root account.

Good Luck,

Chesterr

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to suliabryon

it won't work even with the microphone built into my iMac

That's not my suggestion, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to suliabryon

suliabryon wrote:

I have searched everywhere and tried everything I can think of. Restarted Premiere. Uninstalled/reinstalled premiere. Shut down/unplugged/replugged in C-1 microphone. Updated software. Restarted iMac. Nothing works. I am out of things to try, and hoping someone here might have a suggestion.

You're not done troubleshooting until you repair permissions, rebuild your directories with Disk Warrior, zap the PRAM, and run utilities on your hardware and RAM (TechTool, memtest/HighLoad, etc. 

"A serious error occurred" suggests to me a harware or OS issue, esp. since un- and re-installing the app didn't fix it.  Did you delete the Pr prefs when you uninstalled? 

Audition may have worked because it's 32 bit, and Pr is 64.  Mull that over a bit, and maybe you'll have a revelation. 

Good luck and glad you found a workaround.

What OS are you running, BTW?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to Jim Curtis

I have the same issue, only there is no hardware error. The Mic I'm using is being recognized just fine by the OS on my iMac. (10.6.8). Neither my Logitech microphone or the internal mic are being recognized by Adobe Premier Pro. I'm using 5.0.0 right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 4:22 PM   in reply to bellevue scott

Now Adobe Premier Pro is just crashing repeatedly. I don't do anything at all. Open Premier and it crashes. Restart the iMac and it crashes. Reopen and it crashes. It's like a terrible loop and I can't do anything. Every time I open it now it crashes.

Any ideas?

Process:     Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 [205]
    Path:        /Applications/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5
    Identifier:  com.adobe.AdobePremierePro
    Version:     5.0.4 (5.0.4)
    Code Type:   X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [118]

Date/Time:   2013-08-29 11:44:31.601 -0700
    OS Version:  Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:      -2507017 sec

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  97 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   5

Anonymous UUID:                  6C9EEA26-1796-4F96-B35B-6E6E790853E0

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00007fff5f3fffc8

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to bellevue scott

[Please don't post full crash logs to the user forums.]

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 1:03 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

So aside from scolding me for posting the crash log, do you have any suggestions or ideas?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

So, I came here looking for answers to this problem, as is Adobe's recommended way to get support. Microphones don't seem to be working within Adobe Premier, which is more than a minor inconvience because it makes it impossible to do voice overs.

Again, aside from scolding me for posting my crash log, which I thought might be helpful, do you have any recommendations? work arounds? It seems others have this problem and it's persisted for over a year and a half. Not to sound whinny, but it seems like a fair question to me. I'd love to hear any ideas and suggestions that might resolve this.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2013 5:34 PM   in reply to bellevue scott

do you have any suggestions or ideas?

There is my very first post.  That's still the best idea.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Your very first post suggests that we use a mic that connects via the Mic port, not USB. But as others have pointed out, it doesn't work. None of the Mic options work, and yet my Mic is recognized by every other application, and the OS. So with all due respect, that's not a helpful response.

How does one get Adobe's attention for something that is an obvious bug in Premier? This is a bug, and a very obvious one, and it's lasted for over a year with no help from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to bellevue scott

as others have pointed out, it doesn't work.

No one has yet tried that suggestion, at least not in this thread.  All that has been listed as being tried are USB mics and the built in mic, neither of which is my suggestion.

Connect a microphone to the 1/8" mic. input (pink) of the motherboard or internal sound card.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points