Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

using layers for scrollable content

Apr 1, 2012 5:57 AM

Dear All/anyone :-)

I've been doing some testing today with V19, and it seems that the original method for scrolling content, (using 2 layers etc) no longer works

It also seems that I can no longer create any kind of scrollable content that the user can swipe on to navigate to anothre page; IE have a vertical scrolling text on the far right

of the screen, users swipe up and down on the content, but they still need to be able to swipe on the content to move right to the next article.

Currently all I can do is swipe on a non-interactive area to do this.

Any thoughts? is this just V18/19

Cheers

Alistair

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 6:20 AM   in reply to mobly

Haven’t tried the old layer method since there’s really no reason to but as far as not being able to swipe right and left, yes, I noticed that, too.

I don’t like it but I think we’re going to have to live with it.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 7:34 AM   in reply to mobly

I have no insight at all into this but I can’t argue with you. I have an app ready to go with scrollable frames and it’s a bit clunky getting to the next page.

I’ll chalk it up to growing pains.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to mobly

My apps due to go live end of the week and it's riddled with Scrollable Content layers. From a production point of view I like the old ways, kind of meant that anybody subbling scrolling copy could quite easily do so by isolating that layer. Now they have to rely on story editor because the physical copy is masked. I've yet to start checking the next issue but can I just confirm with you Alistair that this method doesn't work at all? We've had it working on the desktop viewer but as yet not on an iPad?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to Yellow Christian

There is no way in the world I would submit an app without fully testing it on the iPad.

Just my $0.02

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Don't worry Bob I'm not. All pages are done and we start building tomorrow for testing. Ideal world we'd test as we go but two weeks on print edition, two weeks digital edtion doesn't leave much maging for error.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 12:55 PM   in reply to mobly

Mark, but close!

Dead space would be an issue for me. I use scrollable frames to flow in sheet music, pretty much full screen width

Sounds like its going to be a long week...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to Yellow Christian

This actually makes some sense. Scollable content can now scroll from any direction. What if you had a frame that scrolled left to right?

I'm just thinking out loud here.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,641 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 8:43 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

One possibility is to create a dummy slideshow in the area that you don't want to be active. The tab area would be active and alide over the dummy MSO, but if you swipe in the dead area, you turn the page. I haven't tested this yet -- I will tomorrow -- but you might want to experiment with dummy buttons (navto current article) or slideshows (two invisible states set to auto play once).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:10 AM   in reply to mobly

I think you'll find Quark would be the worst case scenario…

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to Yellow Christian

Dead space experienced over scrolling areas on PDF articles doesn't occur when the article is set to jpg or ping.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points