Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

multiple users, one license, one computer

Apr 11, 2007 5:42 PM

I have purchased a retail version of Photoshop CS2. If I install the software on just one computer in my home, can my wife and children use the software when I am not using the computer, or do I need to get an additional license for that?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 8, 2007 12:23 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    James,

You do not need to obtain an additional license. The purchased copy of CS2 gives you right to use the application on a primary machine (for your use and the rest of your family) and also on a secondary machine (a laptop, for example) for the same users, but not simultaneously on each machine.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2007 7:46 PM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    hi juan, i have a quite similiar problem as james. what if i have already installed my photoshop cs3 and photoshop elements 5.0 in a primary computer and install it again on my 2 other laptops, would it still be ok? thanks..

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2007 11:00 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    Charles,

Am I reading your message correctly? You mentioned you installed Photoshop CS3 and Photoshop Elements 5.0 in a primary computer, and then in two additional laptops. If that's the case, that's three (3) not two (2) computers, which exceeds the rights of the software license.

You can only install a single license for the software in up to two computers.

Please review your specific situation and remove one of the copies if you have three.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2007 5:30 PM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    yes juan... it really helped me a lot.. i'll just purchase another photoshop cs3 and photoshop 5.0 then... i really appreciate your help..

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2007 9:45 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    Hello we are opening a magazine business and my question is, did you have some multi license in CS3 we ware thinking in have the CS3 standard edition, we have 2 Intel Mac and 2 PC for that reason I am asking.

Thank you

Denis

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2007 12:15 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    Excellent Charles!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2007 12:22 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    Denis,

You may want to consider one of Adobe Volume Licensing programs since you'll need multiple licenses for your magazine business.

You can read more information about Adobe's volume programs at: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/openoptions/

Regards and good luck with your magazine!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2007 4:04 PM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    Hello Juan,
    I have a similar question about multi-licensing. Our company has a very small graphics dept. and we currently have CS2 installed in one of our mac G4 (a downloaded upgrade version from a CS on a disk), and just purchsed another brand new Mac Pro today. We also picked up an upgrade of Standard edition for CS3, however just realized that adobe products are one license per computer (except for desktop and laptop) but we need to have simultaneously running CS2 and CS3 for our new mac pro. Please let me know what will be the best solution for us. Shall I return this CS3 upgrade and end up having to purchase a whole new CS3 full version just for the new mac pro, or is there a way to purchase an additional license for a CS and then use the upgrade to CS3 on this new machine? We would rather keep the G4 with the CS2 and have the new mac pro with CS3 installed. Sorry for a very long question!
    Thank you very much. Neal

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2007 5:54 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    Hi Juan

I am upgrading an analog studio at the New Mexico Farm and Livestock
    Bureau where they produce a radio report each week. I want to get
    Adobe Audition 2.0 for their studio computer.

They have also asked about setting up a laptop for their guy to take
    into the field to prepare reports about meeting, etc.

Can Adobe Audition 2.0 be installed on this laptop without additional
    license or do we need to purchase a second license for the laptop.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2007 11:31 PM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    My assumption would be that you have the same rights with all the products. Obviously noone knows for sure until you've actually asked the sales experts.

Good luck with your magazine.

---
    Stefan

Track your flexlm licenses with License Statistics and reduce your costs.

Protect your software with LM-X License Manager.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2007 5:54 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    Juan Carlos,

You mentioned in a post that "You do not need to obtain an additional license. The purchased copy of CS2 gives you right to use the application on a primary machine (for your use and the rest of your family) and also on a secondary machine (a laptop, for example) for the same users, but not simultaneously on each machine."

It was my understanding from reading the license agreement that only the primary user of the primary machine can install and use an additional copy on an additional computer.

Are you saying that I can install a copy on my wife's laptop, she can use the software even if I'm not the primary user of her computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2007 11:32 PM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    Hi there, we have a similar situation - we are a small graphic design and programming company, two laptops. We want to purchase CS3 premium but are not clear on the licensing issues.
    Can we purchase one license and install and use on both laptops?

Why isn't this information more clearly available in the product descrip page??

Thanks for any feedback on this :)

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2007 9:52 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    I've installed the CS3 Video production bundle on my MacBook Pro running Leopard, where I need to be able to use it under multiple user accounts (all admin level). For a couple of months it's been fine, but now it will only work under the account I originally installed it under. On others I get a dialog box when I launch PhotoShop telling me I can't run it, and that I must re-install.

Is there any way around that without a re-install?

thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2008 12:37 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    Eric,

Could you please elaborate on the exact error message you're seeing? That will help in trying to figure out the root cause and a potential solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2008 1:02 PM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    I'm getting the same thing. We have two user accounts on a MacPro running Leopard with CS3. The error states:

Licensing for this product has stopped working.
    You cannot use this product at this time. You must repair the problem by uninstalling and then reinstalling this product or contacting your IT administrator or Adobe customer support for help.

Are you telling me Adobe will only let you use CS3 for only one user on the computer. I seriously hope this is not the case.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2008 1:16 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    No, that's not the case. You should be able to use the applications with all users on the machine. If you can't find a solution in the database (tip: search for "FlexNet"), contact Adobe's Technical Support.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2008 6:17 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    You can only install ONE license for the software on a maximum of two computers.

You will need to remove one or more copies!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2008 4:48 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    I have CS3 installed on my PC and my laptop, but when I tried to activate my laptop I got a message that I needed to either transfer the activation or buy a new copy. How do I get it to work on both computers?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2008 7:00 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    Mary, you're allowed to have two activations at the same time. You (or someone else) must have installed and activated your application on another computer and did not deactivate it. If you want to use the application on both computers you need to contact Adobe by phone (the number appears on the activation screen) and explain the situation to them. It's very likely that they will grant you another activation.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 24, 2008 7:43 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    I would like to know how adobe keeps track of how many licenses are used within a company. If we only purchase 1 license and install on 50 computers, how would adobe know?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2009 3:51 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)
    Matt, (AFAIK) they don't. It's a legal issue. If you're using the product on more computers than you are allowed to, you're breaching your contract with Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 5, 2009 2:07 PM   in reply to (TSA)

(TSA) wrote:

Hi there, we have a similar situation - we are a small graphic design and programming company, two laptops. We want to purchase CS3 premium but are not clear on the licensing issues.
    Can we purchase one license and install and use on both laptops?

Why isn't this information more clearly available in the product descrip page??

Thanks for any feedback on this :)

Ha... nice to see it appears no-one's anwered this.

From what I understand, unless just ONE employee would be using BOTH laptops (and NOT simultaneously) - then a single user license would not be enough.

Unfortunately, trying to find out the additional cost of an "additional" license seems near on impossible. I'm tempted to think you basically double the price (to buy two).

m.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Jul 30, 2009 7:12 AM   in reply to (James_Laning)

I am wanting to buy the adobe master collection CS4, but wanting to have multiple users on certain programs in the suite. Can I buy one single license or do I have to buy a multi user license or such? Please explain what I need to purchase to help me out. Any info is greatly appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2009 11:58 AM   in reply to chazbcb03

Each user must have their own license unless you have enough users to purchase a multiuser license.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2009 12:58 PM   in reply to (James_Laning)

I am purchasing a student copy from my school and I want to install on my laptop and pc, but they said tthat this "single user" version is only for one computer. Period.

Is that true?  Or can I buy it and install on both machines.  I will be the only user.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to TXZach

Hi all,

I've got a slightly different but related issue.  We're running a small Mac network in the art department of a high school running Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).  We're finnaly getting our hands on a few newer machines now and are upgrading to Leopard (10.5).  The version of Photoshop we use at the moment won't run on Leopard.  So we need to upgrade to a newer version.  But the new machines won't be capable of running CS5 / CS5.5, so we we're going to have to go with CS2 - CS4.  I have my own personal license for CS2 on my own Mac and would be willing to transfer the license to the school and deactivate CS2 on my computer, but we will need licenses for up to 10 users.  Is it possibe to upgrade a single user license to multi user for Photoshop CS2.

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to victor_check

Ordinarily, each Adobe product can be used by one primary user on up to two computers, although not at the same time...

If you need more users, you can just purchase an Adobe Volume License (also called a "Business" license) for as many seats as you require.

So in your case Victor, 10 users would probably qualify you for a volume discount there.

And typically with business licenses you can "downgrade" the software to an older release if you need to, although it goes only one major version back...  So CS2 would be too far back now - but CS4 would be okay.

Hope this helps

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)