Skip navigation
wtchkrft
Currently Being Moderated

How is the XMP workflow supposed to work between CS6 and LR4.1

Apr 2, 2012 1:48 AM

Tags: #xmp #cs6 #lr4.1

Can somebody please enlighten me ?

I have a raw file in Lightroom, xmp files turned on.

I open the file as a smart object in Photoshop.

Back in Lightroom I do some edits, and to be sure, I save the edits back to the XMP.

Back in Photoshop, no matter what I try, my edits are not picked up. I tried opening the smart object etc...but ACR does not pick up the edits I just made in Lightroom (even when the XMP file is up to date).

If I resubmit the edited image from Lightroom, my edits are picked up, but this can't be the way it's supposed to work, can it ? What good is a smart object if you need to resubmit it each time...

Isn't the XMP workflow supposed to be seamless between adobe applications, picking up any edit, no matter where the edit is made (from acr to lightroom and vice versa) ?

I'm probably missing something, but would appreciate some help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 2:17 AM   in reply to wtchkrft

You need to make develop changes by double-clicking your smart object in Photoshop and adjusting it in ACR. There is no link between your smart object and you master raw file in Lightroom.

The xmp's are for interchnaging information between separate stand-alone apps and/or workflows (e.g. open in Bridge, open file in Phoshop via ACR), but not when Lightroom hands over the data directly to Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 3:00 AM   in reply to wtchkrft

you can do the same edits in ACR that you do in LR.

as long as the RAW engine of ACR and LR is the same.

so for sull support of PV2012 you have to use photoshop CS6.

but .... with editing in photoshop you end up with a non RAW file anyway.
    so why do you need a link to LR? just edit the image in ACR when you have it in photoshop.

i for example don´t want that PS changes the original file when i open a DNG in photoshop and make changes in ACR.

if ACR would write back these changes the image would look different in LR. nothing i want for my workflow.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to wtchkrft

if you have edited your image in LR and want the new version in photoshop you can rightklick the smart object layer and select "replace content".

but keep in mind that when you open for example an DNG file in PS (via open as smart object) and change the brigthness these changes will be written into the DNG file.

thought you will not see the changes in LR until you read the new metadata from the image file.

when you send an image from LR into PS as smart object (edit in -> edit as smart object in photoshop) and then you make changes with ACR, the changes will not be written into the DNG file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points