Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Repeatedly asked to install Flash 11 on IE 9 Windows Home Premium 64 bit

Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my admin account - I successfully install the latest version of Adobe Flash Player 11.  Everything works fine (in that same admin account) until a system reboot.  Then I receive messages from websites stating that they want me to install Adobe Flash.  I do so and all is well until the reboot.

I have followed all the instructions on the Adobe main troubleshooting pages from uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting through the deletion of folders at run %appdat%\Adobe - Flash Folder and %\Macromedia and then uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling etc. 

Again, I receive a successful installation message and everything works properly until the reboot.   Looks like a lot of users have had this problem, but I haven't found a clean answer. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

I followed one suggestion and downloaded and ran Secunia PSI and found no older version of Flash Player installed.  I do also have Adobe CS 5 Suite installed. I also started receiving messages from HP Solution Software that it would not operate until the latest version of Adobe Flash is installed.  I uninstalled the HP software pending resolution.  Uninstalls and reinstalls of Flash were not successful after removing the HP software either.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Thanks all for your suggestions.  In response:

1) Flash did not become disabled upon reboot - it remained "enabled."

2) Was running 64 bit IE, no difference with 32 bit or other browser.

3) Permissions seem to be fine in all Flash folders -> BUT, they were not correct on the parent folder

%appdat%\Macromedia. Perhaps the "clean uninstall" directions meant to delete this folder.  I took them to mean delete the contents of this folder.  I changed the permissions to broader rights for all users, f

Votes

Translate

Translate
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering if perhaps this isn't an installation issue, but rather that Flash somehow becomes disabled after you reboot. That would result in the same error message on sites as you see now.

Could you check by rebooting and then run IE9, click "Tools", then "Manage Add-ons", set the dropdown menu to "Run without permission" and then check to see whether Flash is installed, but not enabled? Here's a screenshot which shows its default location and enabled status.

flash_ie_installation.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you find that disabling isn't the issue then we might be running into a broken permissions issue.  I've found that this problem, being prompted to reinstall after reboot, is typically caused by missing or incorrect permissions on either Flash Player folders or registry keys.

Out of curiosity, can you try running the 64bit version of IE9 and see if the Player works there after reboot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all this as well and nothing works. Am still being asked to download the most recent version of Flash Player every time I open my browser. Is affecting what I can do at many types of sites, not just ones with video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but did you try the 64bit version of IE9?  Have you tried testing a different browser (Chrome for example) to see if it also occurs there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded IE9 but didn't see a choice between 64 and 32 bit. Where does one find that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Devorah18 wrote:

I downloaded IE9 but didn't see a choice between 64 and 32 bit. Where does one find that?

Click Start, then Programs. You should be able to see both versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works on some pages, not others. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for your suggestions.  In response:

1) Flash did not become disabled upon reboot - it remained "enabled."

2) Was running 64 bit IE, no difference with 32 bit or other browser.

3) Permissions seem to be fine in all Flash folders -> BUT, they were not correct on the parent folder

%appdat%\Macromedia. Perhaps the "clean uninstall" directions meant to delete this folder.  I took them to mean delete the contents of this folder.  I changed the permissions to broader rights for all users, followed the clean uninstall directions and then did a full reinstall and have resolved the issue.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  jimsup33 ive been having the same problem its driving me nuts i would be grateful if you could describe how you did this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2012 Jun 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes thanks I managed in the end had a bit of trouble finding the files to delete but got there in the end and everythings working fine so far 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I too have experienced the repeating of installing Flash Player after performing a successful install. The PC is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421, and Flash Player 11.4.402.265. The installation of the latest FP indicates a successfull install. Then when going to any site that uses FP, for example, weather.com, yahoo news, youtube, a message window indicates the latest FP needs to be installed.

I've went through the steps in thread 4613512 (FP uninstaller), 928315 (clean install), 987370 (permissions errors), the steps in this thread including deleting the %Appdata%\Macromedia folders prior to the install, removed references to Adobe 7 in the Windows registry (running Adobe 10.1.4). Also checked that Windows Media Player was not installed. It is not. All of the functions in the steps within these threads seemed to complete successfully. No errors or other problems were indicated. Would you have any suggestions on something else to try?  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe you just need to enable it: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/885448

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2012 Sep 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pat,

Sorry for the long delay in getting back with you. Schedule conflicts on the remote system where the error was occurring. Initially there was no Shockwave Flash Object in the add on list. Peformed the install from the suggested link then enabled. That corrected the problem. Thank you for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines