Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Deleted page loading without CSS

Apr 2, 2012 8:47 AM

Not sure what's going on here (may be normal, and just not something I've seen before!).

I've been revamping a site, and am deleting some old static versions of pages, that now have a database behind them.

For example, this page:

http://www.learners-guide.co.uk/instructors/driving-schools-fort-willi am-fort-william-som/index.html

I've deleted the /driving-schools-fort-william-som/ folder from the remote server, but the page is loading up the site's index page, but not seeing the CSS, as the paths are wrong.

Shouldn't this just bring up a page not found 404?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to johngordon12

No, because the page can still be found on the server.

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

Altruistic Gramps wrote:

No, because the page can still be found on the server.

Gramps

How's the server finding the index.html page in the 'driving-schools-fort-william-fort-william-som' folder if the OP has deleted it?

You positive you have deleted the folder Iain because the server say otherwise?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to johngordon12

What makes even less sense (if as you say you have deleted the folder) is the folder/absolute path to the index.html file is still on the server:

http://www.learners-guide.co.uk/instructors/driving-schools-fort-willi am-fort-william-som/index.html

Even if you had some kind of re-direct going on to another index.html page it makes no sense that the server is saying the index.html is in the  'driving-schools-fort-william-fort-william-som' which you have deleted.

Mind you having taken a look at the code it looks like its partly Wordpress?

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    Apr 2, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to johngordon12

If you go to the page in Firefox and try to edit the html, everything from the opening body tag up is gone. I have seen cases where the old pages were cached on the webserver. If this is the case, it should clear up soon.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    Apr 3, 2012 11:51 AM   in reply to johngordon12

Have you made custom error pages for the site? Is it possible your 404.htm page was accidently written over with the page that is being delivered?

That's the only think I can think of.

Jim

Edited: If you are on an Apache webserver, it's possilbe that you .htaccess file is pointing the 404 to another file.

ErrorDocument 404 /404.htm

ErrorDocument 500 /500.htm

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:48 AM   in reply to johngordon12

Iain71 wrote:

Actually, that didn't work out, as that just redirected every page to the home page.

So I just deleted the .htaccess file.

I assume that's not a problem?

This was it in full:

# BEGIN WordPress

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . index.php [L]

</IfModule>

# END WordPress

Thought it may have something to do with Wordpress and redirecting.....Wordpress works in a very complex and confusing way unless you know the secrets.

If that was all that was in the htaccess file then it's ok to delete it but you may want to re-instate it at some stage later if you want to redirect users to different/updated pages based on what you do maintenance wise.

As long as the Wordpress Module is removed the htaccess file on the server alone shouldn't do any harm

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points