Skip navigation
jnsail
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone having problems with chromatic aberration is LR4.x? (purple fringing)

Apr 1, 2012 8:28 PM

Tags: #lr #purple #chromatic #aberration #4.x #fringing.

This is a feedback type of comment. 

Chromatic aberration is much worse in LR 4.x than previous versions.   Purple fringing is comparable to Powershot GS1, circa 2002 0- pre LR. 

I shoot swim meets - very bad lighting.  Light sources are often unavoidable.  LR3.x controlled chromatic aberration very well - could eliminate most purple fringing.  LR4.x not so well.  Just processed 1,000+ meet photos.  Purple fringing really bad in all versions of LR4.x - 4.0 beta, 4.0 & 4.1RC.  Mac OS 10.7.x,  EOS 7D (two bodies), 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 (latest model).  Also S95 & S100..Otherwise a terrific product. 

Can we work to get chromatic aberration back to as good as it used to be?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 8:44 PM   in reply to jnsail

Neither LR3 nor LR4 have much besides the fringing tool to control purple fringing.  PF is caused by axial (longitudinal) CA, and the tools in LR, profile, manual or automatic, are all for the other type - lateral CA.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to jnsail

I'm shooting with Canon 300D, 600D, and 5D MKII bodies and Canon 18-55mm IS, 17-40mm, 70-200mm IS F4 with no "fringing issues as you describe. Are you checking the 'Remove Chromatic Aberration' box under 'Lens Corrections, and are the lenses being properly identified under 'Lens Profile' selections? By default it is unchecked (no Chromatic Abberation removal). Also, the two Canon SLR lenses you have posted (17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8) don't have "fringing" issues, so I'm not sure what you are seeing in the images with these two lenses. Can you post 100% screen shots with details?

As Lee Jay mentioned, if this is Axial CA (i.e. Purple Fringing) it can be partially to fully corrected using the 'Defringe" > 'All Edges' tool under 'Manual' Lens Corrections. But this still doesn't explain the differences you are seeing between LR3 and LR4 Lens Corrections behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to trshaner

trshaner wrote:

Are you checking the 'Remove Chromatic Aberration' box under 'Lens Corrections, and are the lenses being properly identified under 'Lens Profile' selections? By default it is unchecked (no Chromatic Abberation removal).

Actually, in LR4 the Auto CA is not connected to the lens profiles anymore. It's auto-calculated from the image and doesn't not depend on the lens profile. And you are right at this point the the only other way to address is the Defring option...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to Jeff Schewe

Good point, but If the OP has changed his Lens Profile "default settings" to include Chromatic Abberations (i.e. checked) this may still produce what he is seeing. If some of the imported image files mistakenly got set with the wrong or NO Lens Profile, he may not be aware that Chromatic Abberration correction is not being applied to them. As he said, "Just processed 1,000+ meet photos."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points