Skip navigation
Yazan Malkosh
Currently Being Moderated

UI Feedback: Would prefer dialogs matched UI darkness setting

Mar 27, 2012 11:03 PM

Tags: #color #theme #ui #feature_requeset

I am digging PS6s new look and feel. However it still feels like an add on instead of a complete UI improvement. I started with the new blur tools which are really cool. However once you use the older filters you are back to the same small preview window, limited control and a break in the UI theme. The filter gallery is especially annoying. Jumping in and out of it with the current UI really provides a bad experience switching between the dark gray and back to the light gray background. This is very straining on the eye. especially for those that work in dim conditions.

Additionally, lack of color highlight on tool selections makes it harder to visbily track current selections in the UI. Its harder with the darker UI. Having a user specified color selection (yellow, blue...) would be an added welcome.

Overall I appreciate they effort but I would like to see CS6 move towards a comprehensive experience. Great job and I look forward to the next build.

Yazan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 21, 2012 11:37 PM   in reply to Yazan Malkosh

Thanks for the feedback. Tackling every last pixel of our UI was a bit too much to do for CS6, but continuing improvements to our UI is on our radar.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 11:41 PM   in reply to Yazan Malkosh

Yeah, we won't have time for doing major work like that at this point. Sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 11:42 PM   in reply to Yazan Malkosh

It's a bit of both. We're always welcome to suggestions. We'll make changes that make sense and the time we have left in development.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 12:28 AM   in reply to Jeffrey Tranberry

Please explain why the ui on recent adobe applications is taking a "backseat" to actual features:i.e first photoshop elements now photoshop.

Does adobe want people to actually see the interface without eyestrain?

One can hardly tell when something is highlighted in the new cs6 ui no matter what ui selection is choosen in the preferences.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Mar 22, 2012 1:03 AM   in reply to Yazan Malkosh

Yazan, you might want to change your user name to something else than an email address, to avoid spam.

Jeep57, could you post actual examples of areas that you have a hard time to see highlighted. Without a clear example, the team can't do anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 5:15 AM   in reply to jeep57

Jeep57. Yes. People have asked for the ability to change the darkness of the user interface to match their working environments. The interface should be more or less the same contrast as CS5 if you select the lightest option in Preferences>User Interface... - are you saying that you're having a hard time seeing UI selections with this option enabled?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2012 10:49 PM   in reply to jeep57

The surrounding environment affects how you perceive color. This includes the environment of your app's interface right up to the image you are working on.

If you adjust a photo with a bright UI and bright background (stage, canvas, whatever) and then plop that image into a dark website you'll be shocked at how different it will look.

Being able to adjust the color and brightness of the UI helps you to adjust an image in a similar environment to where it's headed.

And it looks cool, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to John Stanowski

^^^ agreed however LR, ACR and CS6 should all have the same UI adjustment capabilities.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to John Stanowski

"Being able to adjust the color and brightness of the UI helps you to adjust an image in a similar environment to where it's headed."

Maybe, but a totally monochromatic UI does nothing for productivity (including excessive eyestrain from complex, miniscule menus). Neither does changing stuff because it "looks cool". I'd prefer the option to preserve those little hints that are instantly recognizable from previous CS versions.

Like this

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Mar 23, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to TLL...

You can also try to uncheck the enable text drop shadows from preferences>interface to see if it helps for you.You can also change the text interface size, but that's not new, so I guess you already know it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to TLL...

i think the 2 lighter UI's need much more contrast. like CS5

i would help usability alot for those (me) who do not like the 2 darker UI's

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to Yazan Malkosh

It would be great if the Windows application frame would match the Bridge UI just as in Photoshop. Has that been given any consideration?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 9:31 PM   in reply to Yazan Malkosh

^^^dito

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2012 10:53 PM   in reply to Yazan Malkosh

+1 for this thread

It is a shame the liquify tool and Camera RAW panels were not updated to the new darker UI when they were redesigned for this release.  I realise it is probably too late for changes on this scale to make this release but I hope the UI team will focus on updating the UI on these old Photoshop tools, as a priority and provide this as an update rather than make us wait for Photoshop CS7. I personally find it harsh on the eyes switching from the dark interface to the lighter one of these old tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to Yazan Malkosh

Please, a uniform color interface between Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop ! And also more contrasted logos on the buttons under dark interface.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to Yazan Malkosh

@Yazan : Totally OK with you : we need a uniformed interface look (either dark or light grey) in all panels : Bridge, Camera Raw, Photoshop (all panels of it).

Without such a uniform color interface, I won't buy.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to Yazan Malkosh

The no-thumbnails verison of the layers palette is so watered down that it's non-funtional in an effecient environment.

I can't even see colors on vector shapes any more???

I don' t know if it's the green shape, the red shape, or the orange shape.

And I just can't take the time to title every vector shape.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Yazan Malkosh

I agree, I can't encourage my company to upgrade our stations if Adobe takes away the things that made Photoshop efficient.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points