Skip navigation
operator 3
Currently Being Moderated

Viewing over printing Issue

Apr 2, 2012 10:44 AM

Hi,

I am having a problem that my customer wants resolved and am unsure what to do. They are viewing a pdf and see the L's and I's looking odd but yet it prints fine. The fonts are embedded subsets and when you zoom up on the area it is fine. The PDF also prints fine. My hands are tied when it comes to the fonts because I am not allowed to change them.

I can ask them to change their viewing preference but not sure this will solve the problem because they have many people who view them.

Any help would be appreciated

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to operator 3

This is likely a font-specific or a viewer-specific problem. What font is this occurring with or with all fonts? Could be an issue with the hinting in the font (as supplied by the font foundry). What is being used to view the PDF file? Adobe Reader or Acrobat? MacOS preview?

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to operator 3

If in fact what you are saying is that you have converted the text to outlines, that would explain what you are seeing. Outlined text loses all the hinting of text realized with hinted fonts. Except when you need very specific artistic effects, at Adobe we strongly discourage the practice of outlining text. You end up with text problems in term of viewing as well as the lack of searchability! And certainly you lose accessibility (for those using screen readers) and the ability to use Acrobat's text touch-up tools.

Why were you outlining in the first place?

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:18 PM   in reply to operator 3

Do you have any flattened transparency in the region where you get these anomalies in character display? That would cause live text to be converted to either vector or raster causing a similar effect. A sample file would help.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points