• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to get the app settings to be part of the device settings panel (iOS) ?

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to include some of my app settings outside the actual app to the device settings, so those could be changed without opening the actual app. Is there anyway to accomplish this?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

You can add settings dialogs to individual iOS AIR applications that appear in iOS System app. It is exacty the same process as you would for a native Xcode developed iOS app - you simply make a settings.bundle file, and include with the app when its compile via ADT.jar or right from the Flash IDE and then its accessible. You then use AIR's file operations to read the results of interacting with the settings.bundle via its .plist file that is stored/updated.

For reference on creating settings.bun

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of app settings ?   You could do it via XML.     Just make sure to have a default solution in case the user doesnt have an interenet connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean almost any setting that is set on device settings and those settings the app could then read on startup. To make my self clear, when saying "device settings", I mean the settings that can be found behind this icon:

http://assets.ilounge.com/images/uploads/settings.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh ....   I havent seen this possibility in AIR yet.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a big flaw in AIR development when targetting for iOS. Hopefully this will be added to future releases of AIR sdk, so we can compete even better with native development tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add settings dialogs to individual iOS AIR applications that appear in iOS System app. It is exacty the same process as you would for a native Xcode developed iOS app - you simply make a settings.bundle file, and include with the app when its compile via ADT.jar or right from the Flash IDE and then its accessible. You then use AIR's file operations to read the results of interacting with the settings.bundle via its .plist file that is stored/updated.

For reference on creating settings.bundle files:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#DOCUMENTATION/Cocoa/Conceptual/UserDefaults/Preferences/Pref...

Also Julian Dolce wrote a book iOS development with Flash for the Visual Blueprint label - ISBN:978-0-470-62204-9 and he covers this extensivley in several sections starting on page 260, including creating settings.bundles and all their UI options even if you don't have a Mac and xcode to work with (sinces its essentially XML files that make up a settings.bundle file),

Julian also put together some classes for the book, for reading in preferences and that is available on google here:

http://code.google.com/p/as3iphone/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2FClasses%2Fcom%2Fflashiphonedevelopme...

His book, although almost 2 years old at this point and a bit out of date in places because AIR has evolved so much, is still a fantastic reference filled with nuggets of good information like this. I'd also recommend Veronique Brossier's bool for OReilly - Developing Android Applications with Adobe AIR - if you are doing AIR/Android work too.

Also reference the following other threads:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/air/build/WSfffb011ac560372f-5d0f4f25128cc9cd0cb-7ffe.html

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928952

Hope this helps!

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2012 Apr 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rhall, thanks for the comprehensive reply, the given info is much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2013 Dec 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How to include with the app when its compile via ADT.jar or right from the Flash IDE and then its accessible?

I'm using Flash Builder (AIR SDK 4.0).

I have tried:

Properties for my app -> Flex Compiler -> Additional compiler arguments:

--source-path=Settings.bundle

I'm doing this correctly? Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines