Skip navigation
Janusz Chudzynski
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting fla to mov.

Jan 27, 2012 9:21 AM

I have a fla file and I am trying to export it to MOV format.
I have removed all the stop(); calls from the project, but the flash works for 20 minutes and than stops on Recording Flash Content.

How can I deal with that?
I am using Flash CS5.5 and tried on both Mac and PC

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2012 3:22 PM   in reply to Janusz Chudzynski

There is an almost endless list of things that might be wrong. Your timeline may be too long, you may be changing the aspect ratio or the frame rate from the Flash movie to the Quicktime movie, you may have some actionscript that can't be executed while the export is running, you may be using a video, or audio, compressor that can't work with your movie's animation properly, you may be running out of memory or cache space, your processor may not be up the work needed for the video, or audio, compressor to work properly. There are many, many, others.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to Rob Dillon

How's it possible to change the frame rate accidentally?

How do you figure which compressor type is best suited for the animation?

I'm getting this message when I'm done with my save-settings that says "The Quicktime frame rate has been set to match the Flash Document frame rate.  The export frame rate needs to match the Flash Document frame rate." What do I need to do to fix this??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to triggered2nite

When you first select to save a file as a Quicktime movie, the QuickTime Export Settings window opens. At the lower left there is another option button, interestingly named QuickTime Settings... When you open this window, you will see the Audio and Video compressor settings. You actually need to dig one level deeper by using the Settings... button for the audio and the video compressor settings to see the actual settings that will be used.

This is yet another example of Adobe's classic commitment to quality. The listing on the second window, Movie Settings, may or may not be the same as the settings in the individual compressor window settings. You need to look at these compressor settings and adjust them to the settings that you actually want.

Choosing the best compressor for your movie is a research project. Sometimes the compressor will be specified by the publisher. Sometimes you will have the opportunity to choose the most appropriate compressor. Once you've chosen a compressor you still have a number of options for optimizing playback. Beyond the frame rate, there is keyframing, data rate, color depth, image size and on and on.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to Rob Dillon

But how do I figure which one is the right compressor? Until the message doesn't pop up anymore? I'm unsure how to adjust the frame rates to be the right ones...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to triggered2nite

Unless you're destination device is a DVD or something else esoteric, choose H.264 or MPEG-4 as your compressor. Set the frame rate to be the same as the frame rate that you used in Flash. Set the keyframing to automatic, if possible. Set your quality to whatever you want and set the Data Rate to automatic, if possible, to start. Let Flash compress the movie and evaluate the results.

You're going to have to evaluate the effect of keyframing changes and Data Rate changes have on your final movie.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 4:17 PM   in reply to Rob Dillon

Well unltimately I want my mov to go into a dvd... The frame rate is that 24fps thing, right? (I have it set to 24fps.)

I've managed to get rid of that message popping up but the "recording" is taking a REALLy long time.....is that normal? It seems as though the blue-bar is frozen......it's been like that for 30min now I think.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to triggered2nite

Are you going to distribute your video on a data DVD or do you want to author a DVD to be played on a commercial player? The normal frame rate for broadcast video is 30 fps. 24 fps is the frame rate for film, although you can use any frame rate that you like if you are distributing your video on the web or as data.

If you are creating content that will go on to a DVD to be played on a commercial player, then you should not be compressing your movie at all. Save your movie as uncompressed video and then use a DVD preparation app like DVD Studio Pro or Adobe's Encore.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to Rob Dillon

Whenever I try to export it says unknown error while I was saving as uncompressed and compressed......

Also, nothing shows up, only the audio (while I go through my .fla)...all the frames and tweens are still there though.. D= And when I test the movie only a small white screen shows........ What's happened?!?! It took so long and now it's all blank T.T

But when I save as an swf I can see the mov through the html...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 12:34 PM   in reply to triggered2nite

First, a DVD is 29.97fps not 30fps and 0.9 pixel aspect ratio for NTSC, 25fps for PAL. I'm going to assume you want North America so NTSC but you tell me. 24fps is strictly for HD content (1280x720 and 1920x1080) and sometimes 23.976.

If you have Adobe Encore it can help you create your DVD and do some conversion for you, although I've used the app less times than I have fingers.

That said, export to movie is Adobes "best shot" at letting you export to a video format but it is not very flexable. You need to stick to a strict diet of timeline tweens to see anything happen properly. If you start coding, chances are your movie will fail to export properly.

You said .mov. That makes me assume you're playing a movie somewhere in the timeline. Is this using a "component" like FLVPlayback or is it a MovieClip? The component is a code based video player so (I assume) it would probably not work at all. You'd need to literally lay the imported MOV into a movieclip and play it like that.

Export for movie should be treated as a very dumbed down function that rarely works in Flash. You might have more luck exporting a working SWF and using a SWF->Movie converter utility. There's been tons of post on the forum even recently about utilities to convert SWFs to movies.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points