Skip navigation
asianpeanut
Currently Being Moderated

I could really use your help converting to mP4 files

Apr 2, 2012 11:01 AM

Tags: #mp4 #premiere_elememts_9

Hi Everyone,

I really need your help in converting from the ".prel" file to an mP4 file in Adobe Premier Elements 9. I am new to this program, so I learned how to edit the videos but don't know how to do this part.

How do I do this? When I open my project file, the "File>Export" button isn't highlighted for me to select it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jennifer

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to asianpeanut

All the export features, except for titles, are within the Share tab.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to asianpeanut

prel is the project file, not a video file

User Guide PDF http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/index.html

Right click the PDF link in the upper right corner and select to save to your hard drive

-the page also has links to help pages for previous versions

Steve's Basic Training Tutorials http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_ faq

TIPS http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements/premiere_elements_ tips

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to asianpeanut

Neale and John T. have provided you with the answers, but for a little more background on the PREL (Project) file, see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 2:15 AM   in reply to asianpeanut

The .prel file is not a video file. It contains 'instructions' on how to change the appearance of your video clips when Shared to a DVD or other output. Your original video clips remain in their original state.

Cheers,

--

Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:24 AM   in reply to asianpeanut

Jennifer,

That FLV output is because you chose Adobe Flash Media for the Export/Share settings. In the Settings Panel, there are scroll bars on the far-right, but they do not really stand out that well, and are often missed. To see all possibilities, just click+drag on the scroll bar, and more possibilities will be revealed to you.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - As Neale points out, PrE is a "non-destructive" editor, so the original files are not changed in any way. As for the PREL, it has no media in it, and only links to Source Files, and instructions in XML code.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to asianpeanut

FLV is certainly an option for YouTube.So is H.264 in an MP4 wrapper.

I normally Export to FLV, and have not noticed an issue with YouTube, but I am usually doing tutorials, or quick display material, so with my SD Project, it has worked fine.

Steve Grisetti has done the full Export/Share specs. for H.264, for YouTube in this FAQ Entry. Were I doing HD Projects, I would most likely use H.264.

For most Export/Share Settings, one will find them under the Advanced button. As for the scroll bars, look to the far right of the Share Tab's Panel. They are there, but not easy to see.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to asianpeanut

Jennifer,

Here is a look at the Share Tab from PrE 4.0, but it should be very similar in your version. Note: in Share, Personal Computer was chosen, then the scroll bars manipulated to get to the QuickTime section, and then H.264 was chosen for the CODEC/Compressor.

Share_PrE.png

Hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I'm on this forum pretty regularly, peanut. What's your question?

There's nothing wrong with operating on faith. That's what we all do. We find the best solution and then we share it with each other.

Those specs will give you the best possible quality on YouTube, based on the experience of a number of people. Is there a reason you'd prefer not to use those Share specs?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to asianpeanut

If you have Windows, you have Windows MovieMaker, which used to be a great program for converting files. But not since Vista, when Microsoft redesigned it as MovieMaker Live.

I'm not sure how else to say (1) though. Go to the Share tab, select Personal Computer (or Computer -- it depends on which version of the program you're using), then select the AVI option with the DV preset. Is that not an option you're seeing?

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to asianpeanut

how long does the conversion process usually take?

This will depend on three factors:

1. Duration of file being converted
    2. CODEC in original file and CODEC of the conversion
    3. Speed of one's computer

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to asianpeanut

Personally, I seldom use Windows Movie Maker (have the old, non-Live version), as I will just convert WMV material to another format/CODEC, to suit the needs. However, I use a shareware converter, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7 (older version from Deskshare), and it's not free.

I did use WMM recently, as I had 5 WMV's, that only needed a quick Trim and assembly into one WMV file. That was the first time in probably 6 mos. I also have issues with WMM, and it crashes often on computers that run PrE and PrPro with very large Projects, just fine.

Not sure if you need to use it, but it can be utilized as a conversion program, and especially for WMV materal. My older version will only Export to DV-AVI I, but that is close enough to work in PrE, or PrPro, in most cases.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 24, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve Grisetti wrote:

If you have Windows, you have Windows MovieMaker, which used to be a great program for converting files. But not since Vista, when Microsoft redesigned it as MovieMaker Live.

Windows Movie Maker 2.6 works just fine with XP, Vista and W7 32 & 64 bit. It retains the export to DV-AVI that was dropped from the Live version.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 12:29 PM   in reply to nealeh

That's great news, Neale! Thanks for the tip!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points