Skip navigation
Tom Pellegrin2
Currently Being Moderated

Looking for help with getting hyperlinks within pdf files, to work when using iOS Reader.

Apr 2, 2012 1:35 PM

Having trouble with hyperlinks in my pdf files when viewing the files in iOS Reader.    At this point, nothing happens (in iOS Reader).     Thanks   TP

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to Tom Pellegrin2

I'm having a small percentage of my hyperlinks work. But I have no clue why some do and some dont. All these links work fine on a PC.

Also, all links are tinted blue. In our PC version of the PDF we allow clicking anywhere on an ad to open the advertiser's web site. But this blue tint makes for a weird blue tint over much of the magazine.

Another problem with these full-page hyper-linked ads is that tapping on them initiates the link...which, while nothing usually happens, it also prevents the Reader menu bars from activiating. I have to page-through to a editorial page to access the Reader tool features.

The in-document links do seem to work well, but they are also tinted blue. How can we make links be transparent like on a PC?

I'd also like to have email addresses linked to a new document in Mail. This feature works great on the PC version.

It is highly possible that I am not properly creating the PDFs for iOS/ReaderX Mobile, or that I am not using the iPad properly. If so...please set me straight.

Thanks,

Ben

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to Home Power

The mobile Reader currently only supports links that are explicitly defined by the author as link annotations. The desktop Reader attempts to detect links in the document even if they are not designated as link annotations. This could be why some links work in the Desktop, but not in the Mobile Reader. If you have examples where link annotations are not working in the Mobile Reader, please send them to me at pawibbel@adobe.com.

The Mobile Reader supports html and internal document links. It does not yet support mailto (email) links. This is something we may consider for a future release.

The Mobile Reader does not have a way to change the link highlight color. We've considered turning the highlight off by default, or only on tap. We chose to always highlight because we don't have the option of having a "hover" state like we do on the desktop. The hover state gives additional information to the user that a particular piece of text is clickable. Without the hover state, we felt we needed to always highlight by default to make it clear that a piece of content was actionable. Your feedback here is appreciated though. It's always good to hear an alternative veiwpoint. If you can share the document with me at pawibbel@adobe.com, it may help us consider the usability of this feature.

Thanks!

Pat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to Pat Wibbeler

Thanks for the clarification.

I will research how a "link annotation" is different from other "links". Perhaps that is the issue. Is this something that you can elaborate on or define easily?

E.G. we are creating all of our links within Acrobat Pro after the distillation of the PDF, in no cases are we relying on automatic recognition of URLs. Nor are we relying on hyperlinks as defined in InDesign before creation of the PDF. Is a link annotation a differentiation of link type within Acrobat Pro?

Thanks,

Ben

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to Home Power

Hey, I think I got it.

It seems to have to do with whether we used "http://www..." or just "www...".

With the former working properly, and the latter doing nothing.

Thanks for your help.

And please yes, do add to the collective wish list: mailto links.

And I'm not sure about the blue thing. I understand your descrption of lack of mouseover. I guess we have to decide how to not have our links interfere with Reader commands, but at lease in Acrobat Pro there are options we can choose for how to define and highlight a hyperlink. Options are good.

Ben

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)