Skip navigation
TigerhawkT3
Currently Being Moderated

Photos being placed at very high zoom

Apr 1, 2012 5:23 PM

Every time I place an image into my InDesign document, the default magnification is equal to the dpi of the image: an ordinary 72dpi photo gets magnified 72x, so a 640x480 image turns into 640 inches by 480 inches, which then has to be scaled back down to be of any use. On top of that, I think starting with those huge canvas sizes may be affecting system performance. Is there any way to tell InDesign to place images at a reasonable size?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 6:04 PM   in reply to TigerhawkT3

I think what's happening is you're placing a JPEG file with a 72 ppi image.

InDesign can not set the resolution of your image. You need to use an image editor like Photoshop to do that. In Photoshop you would do that in Image > Image Size.

It does affect performance because InDesign has to create a huge preview image.

|
    Mark as:
  • lilia@
    196 posts
    Jan 31, 2012
    Apr 1, 2012 7:08 PM   in reply to TigerhawkT3

Sounds like you are placing an image by just doing a simple click on the document where ID places the picture at actual size.

Have you tried to click-and-drag a frame first for the graphic to be placed into?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 9:38 PM   in reply to TigerhawkT3

Just to make sure what the resolution is, try this: Select the image with the Selection (black arrow) tool. Choose Window > Info to open the Info panel. What does it say the Actual ppi and Effective ppi is?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 3:23 AM   in reply to TigerhawkT3

TigerhawkT3 wrote:

I know ID isn't intended to be able to edit an image's resolution, but can't it read the value? It's putting 1 dot per inch (not a common resolution). Is there somewhere I can let ID know what resolution placed images are likely to have, like 72dpi, so that it can size them accordingly?

This typically happens with images that are placed straight from the camera without processing first in an image editor. Not all cameras record a resolution value, so ID must make an assumption. If you click and release, ID wants to place the image at 100% size, but that size has not yet been written into the image data, so ID punts. If you click and drag while placing (since CS4) ID will scale the image to the size you drag.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to TigerhawkT3

As far as I know, ID does not read the EXIF data.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,139 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    May 29, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to TigerhawkT3

If you are using OSX AppleScript has ImageEvents which can be very powerful for resizing and formatting images—much faster than batching in PS. If you want to give a try I can post a script

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points