Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Convert PC Pagemaker docs to Mac Pagemaker docs?

Aug 26, 2009 2:33 PM

I've recently switched to iMac from PC and need to convert documents/booklets created in PC Pagemaker 7.0 to Mac Pagemaker 7.0. Possible? My docs are already labeled with .pmd; now what

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 26, 2009 6:10 PM   in reply to Linda Ahlers

Just open it with Pagemaker 7 on your Mac.

but you say you just recently switched to Mac I take this to mean you own an Intel Mac?

If this is true, you need to know Pagemaker does not run on an Intel Mac.

It will run in Classic mode on a PowerPC Mac With Tiger (10.4.11) or less. PM will not run in Leopard even on a PowerPC Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2009 5:43 PM   in reply to Linda Ahlers

If the goal is only to view or print (or extract text from) a Pagemaker file on an Intel Mac which is incapable of running in Classic mode (and therefore unable to run Pagemaker at all), an option is to use Adobe's Create Adobe® PDF Online subscription-based service which converts a number of application file formats to PDF. It's $10/month or $100/year, but they offer a free trial.

https://createpdf.adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to EllsworthC

Interesting, PM is suppose to make files you can send to associates. BUT!!! Unless those associates have PM

They can't open them. I run support for a company worldwide, and to do this so all of our clients can get/read

said PM material, I have to print the file(s) to an output file, whereas then I can open it in Adobe Photoshop, and give

the file a extension that can be read by any program. (Most cases .jpg) Most of my clients have MS Paint, and luckily for them MS Paint can read an .ocx file. (.ocx is the output's extension when you print to file). NOW this is totally ridiculous that someone has to go thru these steps so a PM file can be sent to clients! NOW Adobe Photoshop is a premiere product of Adobe, BUT yet it cannot read a format from another of same company's products. In  this case Adobe Pagemaker. I happen to be a programmer, and seeing as to how Adobe makes Photoshop, they know how to give their program multiple extensions. Who ELSE sees the problem here?  LoL Adobe? Wake up!! Stop playing games and using proprietary file formats.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

If this had been posted yesterday I’d have pegged it as an April Fool’s joke.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

First, PageMaker has been an officially dead program for years.

Second, I would say it's not uncommon for special files produced by programs to require that program to open them. Excel and FileMaker are two non-Adobe examples easily coming to my mind...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Actually this isn't a Mac problem, it is just what I found as a way to state it, The operating system PM 7.0 is on

is Windows 8 cp. But not with standing, the product should of been created so that it could be saved in more than

2 formats, both proprietary PageMaker. And if it is a discontinued product, why is Adobe still selling it? And from what their tech support had said, a new version is in programming right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

PM is dead and has been for years. End of story.

There is no pagelayout application that you can just pass the files around with. That’s what PDF is for.

I’m not going to even bother commenting on installing it on anything newer than Windows XP.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

Nobody has mentioned Macs to you.

As Bob says, files produced by layout programs are not interchangeable amongst them.

If you want to know why Adobe continues selling a dead product, you'll have to ask Adobe. Just fellow users around here.

No new version of PageMaker will ever be produced; see the many threads on the subject.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 12:48 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Passing an original file to a client is something I would never do, they would invariably mess up the file physically and aesthetically. Sending a pdf copy is the standard, most people know how to deal with them (ocx files not so much) The smarter clients can mark up a pdf with suggested changes and comments.

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:10 PM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Actually Jay, it came out just as if it when thru the printer. Even after converting it to .jpg

No lost in quality what so ever. All an .ocx file is the type of information sent to a printer.

And as you know when you get out a physical paper copy, it retains all the information that

you had sent to the printer. Then opening it up in either MS Paint, or Adobe Photoshop keeps

the graphics and reliability so you are able to convert the file to .jpg format. My problem was

why is it NOT built into Adobe PageMaker? Would seem to me, with Adobe Photoshop having

all the type of image files that it has, ALL Adobe products should. I can’t image that Adobe wouldn’t

have that file type available, to also answer the question why didn’t I use Portable Document Format

(PDF) there is NO such option in Adobe Pagemaker to create a .pdf. Trust me on this, what needed to

be done by myself HAD to have been. Too many end-users needed that in something that they could

read without getting tech support to walk them thru it, and .jpg is the best for that. I even ran a poll and

the end-users that I support only 38% have a version of MS Office.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

Bottom line is PAGEMAKER IS DEAD!

If you want to output to JPG from a pagelayout application then move to InDesign.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Ummmm Bob? Want to explain that to close to a million users of Pagemaker that it is dead?

Lots of luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

To be perfectly frank, that’s not my problem.

Time marches on but if you want to live in the past that’s your business.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:43 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

Don't get me wrong Bob, no offense was meant, but the customer base I have to support
    aren't into change, they feel it works for them, why change it. I basically can do what Adobe PageMaker can

in Microsoft Publisher. It is simple enough, another thing Bob, did Adobe to your knowledge let their register

users know that they had discontinued the product? If they haven't have them send those customers to me, I'll

be more than happy to give them technical support. Nice money to be made with obsolete products that the

end-user(s) JUST don't want to let go of.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

Yes, they were informed years ago.

http://www.adobe.com/products/pagemaker/pdfs/pm_up_faq.pdf

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

Based on the number of questions that are posted per month in this forum, I would very much doubt that there are still millions of people using PageMaker.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:59 PM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

MikeLonewolf wrote:

Actually Jay, it came out just as if it when thru the printer. Even after converting it to .jpg

No lost in quality what so ever.

Jpg is a lossy format.  it throws out information to reduce file size. by defitnition it will lose image quality

All an .ocx file is the type of information sent to a printer.

.ocx sounds like microsoft format that upholds the horrible OLE tradition that is a recipie for disaster in the print industry

.prn or better .ps (Postscript) are printer formats

And as you know when you get out a physical paper copy, it retains all the information that

you had sent to the printer. Then opening it up in either MS Paint, or Adobe Photoshop keeps

the graphics and reliability so you are able to convert the file to .jpg format.

Photoshop doesn't "keep the graphics and reliability" what photoshop does is rasterize the informatin. it turns the text and images in a file into an image. This kills of a lot of the information in the file, like the ability to edit the text/ images, as well as alot of the image quality, furthermore when you print to a postscript file (.ps) the type will rasterize at the output resolution of the printer. This may not mean much to you, but for people dealing with professional printing this is important..  Type sent to  an office printer can rasterize at 1200 dpi, If  you try that with photoshop you would get a ridicuolously large file.

My problem was why is it NOT built into Adobe PageMaker? Would seem to me, with Adobe Photoshop having

all the type of image files that it has, ALL Adobe products should. I can’t image that Adobe wouldn’t

have that file type available,

An image type does not allow for editability, only for a copy, just like a pdf

to also answer the question why didn’t I use Portable Document Format

(PDF) there is NO such option in Adobe Pagemaker to create a .pdf. Trust me on this, what needed to

be done by myself HAD to have been.

I have several thousand pdf files created from pagemaker, so I don't trust you. You need to check your instalation and make sure you have acrobat distiller installed along with pagemaker. Pagemakers pdf creation is a quite archaic, but it does work, you can either export to a pdf file, but that was always a bit unreliable, or you could print to a postscript file (.ps) and run that file through the version of distiller that came with pagemaker

Too many end-users needed that in something that they could

read without getting tech support to walk them thru it, and .jpg is the best for that. I even ran a poll and

the end-users that I support only 38% have a version of MS Office.

Even more reason to use a pdf file, Adobe reader is free, and installed on most computers, better yet you can preserve the vector parts of your file which will keep your file size down while maintaining the quality of your file. With a pdf file you can easily contorl the quaity/size of file, making it easy to email  a proof to a client, as well as being able to send a High quality pdf to a printing company.

As has been stated Pagemaker is zombie ware, yes Adobe keeps selling it, but it  has been replaced by Indesign, which does have a direct output to jpg, amongst many other formats, but it's own file format is proprietary, just like any other page layout program out there.

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 7:04 PM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Jay Chevako wrote:

As has been stated Pagemaker is zombie ware, yes Adobe keeps selling it...

They offer it for sale...I'm exactly sure if they're still selling it. <g>

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:13 AM   in reply to Linda Ahlers

Jay Chevako said [quote] .ocx sounds like microsoft format that upholds the horrible OLE tradition that is a recipie for disaster in the print industry .prn or better .ps (Postscript) are printer formats [/endquote]

Jay, .ocx stands for Open Compact eXchange it is a printer/scanner format, PS is PostScript a FONT SET, nothing to do with a scanned image, or printer output other than what you created with the software used to make the document ready for printing..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

Mike, do yourself a favor and quit while you’re ahead.

Considering the fact that you had no idea PM had died years ago and hadn’t had any notable development for many years before that I’d say you’ve done zero in the way of research on this topic.

Good luck with your idea of providing paid support for those millions of PM users. Maybe you could sell them buggy whips, too.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but as already pointed out, this forum is just about as dead as PM and you reopened a thread that was more than two years old. Your complaint would be like going to Ford and wanting to know why they didn’t include power seats and air conditioning in the Model T.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

MikeLonewolf wrote:

Jay, .ocx stands for Open Compact eXchange it is a printer/scanner format, PS is PostScript a FONT SET, nothing to do with a scanned image, or printer output other than what you created with the software used to make the document ready for printing..

It's really amazing all those .ps files I sent to my old rip were actually font sets, I wonder how they magically manged to create finished pages with images and text..
    Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to Jay Chevako

You're right Jay, QUITE amazing. Just curious as to what printer format you supposing used that turned

ps extension as you stated created the output of a printer when in actually a printer is a type of scanning device and uses optical character recognition, Seriously if you believe that a .ps extension is a printer output file, show some evidence of that statement. I can show tons of pages that agree with me that when you output to a file a print job.

You are given a .ocx extentsion.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to Bob Levine

BUT Bob, a Model T did have Air Conditioning. It was a windowed vechile, so therefore when you opened

the windows AIR CONDITIONING *laughing* Bob, you have to remember back then there was no global warming

as how it is today, so in actuality an open window was  the perfect air conditioning of the era. As for power seats,

people were much stronger back then, and could slide them into position!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:01 PM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

Then just open your windows and slide your back in Pagemaker...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to Claudio González

http://www.adobe.com/products/postscript/

"in actually a printer is a type of scanning device and uses optical character recognition"

Seriously where do you come up with this stuff? A printer doesn't scan stuff, and it certainly doesn't convert scanned images into text

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to Jay Chevako

With a Xerox multifunction printer, you can scan to create both a print and digital copy of any document that can then be easily archived, stored, shared, retrieved, emailed, faxed or printed. Now are you sure of your statement that a printer cannot double as a scanner Jay?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

Surely you know that there is a slight difference between a printer and a multifunction printer which explains why you can scan a document with the second and not with the first?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:00 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Of course I do. It was meant as saying that both a printer, and a scanner are OCR devices.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:48 AM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

Printer and multifunction device are not interchangeable words. 

http://www.adobe.com/products/postscript/

No comments on postscript?  Many Xerox printers/copiers have postscript (or postscript emulation) so I'm surprised you haven't run into postscript before.
    Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

None of my two printers has OCR capabilities. Maybe they are too old?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to Claudio González

None of my scanners have OCR capabilities. They came with separate OCR software to install on the computer, but the scanners themselves are not OCR devices.
    Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Jay, going to shut you down real quick. I hope you like that Mac, it is the last one that will give you either MacOS, or Debian Linux (O/S-X) Panther. YOUR next operating system will be WINDOWS! Apple has stated they are out of the Operating System business, and if you have a modern Mac, you know it is now CICS, and nolonger RISC. I really JUST want to welcome you to Windows Jay. BUT not to worry, Windows 8 metro desktop is sort of like the icon based Mac O/S 7 & 8. Once I found out that you were a MAC user it told me, you wouldn't be familar with Windows's extensions! Might I suggest to you Jay, is go over to your local University's TTC and grab a couple of classes in Windows, and system files, & extensions. All in all you hadn't a clue with the Adobe program on a Windows 8 system, and just made a simple Q&A session a personal witch hunt because like most Mac users, you have a hated

of ALL things Microsoft. Have a good life Jay. I won't be replying to this board anylonger.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio? ALL printers have OCR that's HOW they can distinguish various font sets. OCR stands for Optical Character Recognition HELL even a line printer from the 1960s has OCR. This is WAY to hilarious! 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

Of course, stupid of me not to realize that digital files contain printed images of characters, which the printer in turn optically scans to recognize them. Naively, I had vague notions of things such as ASCI and Unicode having something to do with the process. Hilarious, indeed. My apologies.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 2:18 AM   in reply to Claudio González

You know I  reinstalled windows 7 yesterday, before I realized that I was only a mac person. I wish I knew I had a hatred of all things microsoft before I attempted to do something I knew nothing about.  It's amazing that I'm able to use this machine at all.

That was amusing and a little scary I fret about the state of our programmers

Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 2:48 AM   in reply to Jay Chevako

Jay Chevako said [quote]

You know I  reinstalled windows 7 yesterday, before I realized that I was only a mac person. I wish I knew I had a hatred of all things microsoft before I attempted to do something I knew nothing about.  It's amazing that I'm able to use this machine at all.

That was amusing and a little scary I fret about the state of our programmers

Jay[/quote]

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 2:55 AM   in reply to Claudio González

Claudio Gonzalez said [quote]Of course, stupid of me not to realize that digital files contain printed images of characters, which the printer in turn optically scans to recognize them. Naively, I had vague notions of things such as ASCI and Unicode having something to do with the process. Hilarious, indeed. My apologies.[/quote]

I wouldn't know about ASCI Claudio, I use ASCII Weird things they are having you do there.

Have a wonderful day now. This strikes me as funny, usually it is some site visitor that's a Troll

BUT here, it's the board Admins that are!  hahahahahahahhahahahhaha.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 4:19 AM   in reply to MikeLonewolf

Of course, that I that my fingers refused to print is much more important than printers optically recognizing each letter of a digital file to print them...

Funny that you seem to think that I am some sort of administrator or member of some board here. I am just an ordinary user, far more ignorant than you of course, but at least I have not concentrated on your typos. And I do know what ASCII is about.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points