Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is Bridge creating XMP files in CS6?

Apr 2, 2012 12:12 PM

Tags: #bridge #cs6 #beta #cs6_beta #cs6-beta

I'm using the CS6 beta on a new set of photos.  All I've done so far is batch rename all the files (all raw, all CR2) and edited the IPTC metadata - to add my name, the project name, etc.  Now I've got a side-car file for every photo.  CS5 just included this stuff in the original file, why not CS6?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 2:11 PM   in reply to Aaron D in KC

Hi Aaron,

The Camera Raw preferences are likely set to 'Save image settings in: Sidecar ".xmp" files'. To change this in Bridge, go to:

(WIN) Edit> Camera Raw Preferences...

(MAC) Adobe Bridge CS6> Camera Raw Preferences...

and then change the top pull down menu.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to Aaron D in KC

Hi,

The 'Camera Raw Database' is written to a local directory on your machine, and won't travel (without an extra step) if you copy the CR2 file to another machine. If you use DNG then the metadata will be stored in the file.

If you store the camera raw settings in the Camera Raw database and plan to move the files to a different location (CD, DVD, another computer, and so forth), you can use the Export Settings To XMP command to export the settings to sidecar XMP files.

You may have been using, and wanting, sidecar .xmp files, but just had them hidden in previous Bridge versions. To hide the .xmp file from the Content panel's display, go to View> Show Hidden Files and toggle the checkmark OFF, by selecting it.

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points