Skip navigation
jbcclc
Currently Being Moderated

video not playing in Premiere Elements 9

Apr 2, 2012 3:45 PM

I have Premiere Elements 9 and can't get the video clips to play. It is just black but can hear the audio fine. When I click on the preview window the video pauses and I get a still image of that point in time. If I preview from the clip section it is blank but also with audio. I have updated my drivers etc and it worked briefly but as soon as I exited the programme and came back in it had stopped working again.
This programme is driving me nuts...Please, how can I get it working?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to jbcclc

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Have you ensured that any audio files are in the form of WAV files?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If you've selected the correct project settings for your video there will be NO red lines above your clips when you add them to your timeline. Is this the case with your project?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to jbcclc

This camcorder shoots in a very strange format: 704x480 AVC.

I don't know what to recommend for you. I've never seen that resolution before, and it certainly doesn't match any of the standard presets Premiere Elements has.

It's possible you can edit it in Premiere Elements -- but only if your computer is powerful enough to make up for the strange incompatibilities of this non-standard format.

Maybe somebody who's worked with this camcorder has some suggestions for you. But there's no solution within the program that I know of. You may want to look into another video editing program. If the camcorder came with its own, that would be your best choice.

Sorry. I'm not sure why Panasonic chose to build a camcorder with such non-standard specs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 4:09 AM   in reply to jbcclc

The lack of red line above the clip shows you have the correct project setting (PAL-DV). Your choice of graphic card is not really an issue but the drivers are. Ensure you have the latest version (check the nvidia site, don't rely on Windows Update to give you the latest version). Also ensure you have the latest version of QuickTime 7.7.1.

More advice here:

PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 4:43 AM   in reply to nealeh

Haha?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to jbcclc

Have you tried all the steps from the link I gave you? In particular the disabling of your antivirus software.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:54 PM   in reply to jbcclc

The article, that Neale linked to, covers about 99% of all issues.

Can there be other variables? Of course there can, but the article offers solutions to the vast majority of issues.

With a PC, there are inherently many variables, that can cause problems, from hardware, to other software running. Each, the hardware and the other software, can lead to problems. That is why, when I edit Video, I turn OFF everything, that is not totally necessary. I also do NOT have any Internet presence, nor do I check e-mail, when editing. My workstation is basically a video-editing machine, though my laptop does many thing for me - just not while I am editing. In that article is a link to Clean, Lean, Mean Editing Machine. I adhere to those general tenants.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 2:36 AM   in reply to jbcclc

I have the same problem as you.  It's driving me crazy. I thought I might be doing something wrong so I brought the instruction book for $54 and that hasn't helped either.  I've tried importing video from our old video camera, my new Canon DLSR, old video footage on DVD and nothing works.  It all plays on the computer but not once I import it into Premier Elements 9.  I hope someone has a solution for us soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to Paula Ann Hallam

Paula,

Can you post the specs. of your computer, and the Project Preset, chosen at New Project?

That info might be helpful in trying to troubleshoot the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 6:21 AM   in reply to jbcclc

Could you try this method from John T Smith :

This one is about your problem http://forums.adobe.com/thread/769303

I use it sometimes on my Prem Elements 9 on Vista.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points