Skip navigation
EricWB
Currently Being Moderated

Why do mxf files crash Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

Apr 27, 2011 8:13 PM

I can import Sony HD XDCam .mxf files and I can play them and I can edit with them.

But SOME of these files, not all, when played back -  get to the very end of the video file - there will be a slight stutter (in the last second or two of the clip playback)  - then clip ends - then Adobe has a short freeze up (5 seconds) - then a pop up saying Adobe has encountered a problem and must SHUT DOWN. And then it shuts down.

I am importing HD XDCam .mxf files from Sony PDW F350 camera - optical disc.  Audio on four channels mono.  High def files. I can set inputs and outputs before the end of the clips and they do export. But playing back - I get the freeze and the SHUT DOWN... only on certain files. What's up?

Cannot work this way. Thanks for any help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2011 3:41 AM   in reply to EricWB

What version of Premiere Pro? I.e., have you installed the recent updates?

What operating system? What other software are you running? Do you have any third-party effects or codecs installed? Are you using any third-party video hardware? Are you using Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2011 11:57 AM   in reply to EricWB

simple logic dictates that it would most likely be a corrupt file. if you have mxf files that play every time and then run into a file that does not play every time you would think there must be something corrupt at the end of that file that is crashing premiere.

As another test i would take a bad file and drop it in AME and export it out and see if that works.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 11:54 AM   in reply to EricWB

VideoLAN - VLC: Official site - Free multimedia solutions for all OS!

That'll play XDCAM MXFs. As far as "fixing" the broken MXFs, it's possible that FFmpeg, or more likely, FFmbc could losslessly rewrap these into fresh containers. The footage itself is probably not the issue, but something with the container itself.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2011 12:49 PM   in reply to EricWB

No, FFmpeg is an open source command line tool for compressing, converting, and rewrapping media files; FFmbc could be considered the more "professional" variant of FFmpeg. There's a bit of a learning curve, and a tremendous lack of information about how to use it, but it has the ability to ocassionally fix or change media files that don't work as they are in Premiere. I'm no pro with it, but I'll try to write up a little instruction sheet for something you can try later on.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 11:42 PM   in reply to EricWB

Meh, why do I stick with this software?  I've been forking out for years and always have to baby this application along, always issues, always crashing, for years!  I guess PS is the saviour

Fresh install of windows7 64, updated, then fresh install of Master Collection 5.5.  I load PP and the thing wont even close without crashing + the above and other issues.  Now I have to download the 245mb update!  Cummon guys; you must have this software development thing licked by now...

Dooooo!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points