Skip navigation
rickjolson
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 and 4.1 backup problem

Apr 2, 2012 3:31 PM

Tags: #lr4

Recently I've had problems optimizing and backing up my catalog to an external Drive (with plenty of free space). Its been working fine in 4 until last week when it gets about 80% through and just hangs. Installed 4.1 today but same problem. Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to rickjolson

Just try it again. I had this happening in Lr3 mostly when I hadn't done a backup in a while.

It usually went through to the end on the second try.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to rickjolson

Try optimizing separately from abckup; you know >File >Optimize catalog.

I don't know of any other way to create a new catalog, except >File >Export as Catalog. And I doubt if that would solve the problem because if there's a problem in your current catalog you'd export it to the new one.

Can you let it backup over night to see if it just needs more time?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 12:23 AM   in reply to rickjolson

Try eliminating hardware as the possible cause.....temporarily set your backup destination to be an internal drive and try it again. If it works, you need to be looking at the hard drive. If you have the same problem, chances are it's a catalog issue. Before doing anything more drastic, I'd personally try a Preferences reset. There are other things that could be tried later if needed, let us know how this goes first.

In the meantime, are you taking backups of the catalog manually using the OS file system?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to web-weaver

web-weaver wrote:

I don't know of any other way to create a new catalog, except >File >Export as Catalog. And I doubt if that would solve the problem because if there's a problem in your current catalog you'd export it to the new one.

I have done this several times, mainly after upgrades from 2-3 and 3-4, and it did solve a lot of strange problems for me. It can leave some problems behind.

Trashing your prefs and creating new ones can also solve strange problems.

Bob Frost

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points