Skip navigation
Michael Farnbach
Currently Being Moderated

Creating buttons in Indesign from imported layered Illustrator files.

Apr 2, 2012 11:29 PM

Tags: #pdf #buttons #indesign #interactive

Hello.

I'm in the process of trying to create a digital portfolio. I want to create a button with 2 different states from a file from Illustrator. When i try and import the button, only the one state is visible. What am I doing wrong?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 2:18 AM   in reply to Michael Farnbach

I have not tried this (so sorry if its wrong) but I think you would have to import it in as 2 different states, and the 2 different states may need to be on 2 different layers.

Create the frame and import the first state of the button, this will then become your [Normal] when converted to a button in Indesign. Then when you go to [Click] (or rollover) on the button palette, delete the content, BUT not the frame, and import the second state into the current frame. If the 2 different states on are separate layers you can alter them by selecting the "Show Import Options" on the bottom left of the Place browser.

Will try and test this shortly once i have finished another job.

Cheers,

James

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 2:28 AM   in reply to james_dean1986

Just tested this and it works. The different states were on different layers within Illustrator.

[Normal] = Up state (layer 1)

[Rollover] = Down state (layer 2)

Just change the layer visibility with the Show import options.

Not sure if its the correct solution but hope this helps.

Cheers,

James

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 12:26 AM   in reply to Michael Farnbach

[ Moved to the InDesign forums from the Acrobat forum ]

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 1:40 AM   in reply to Michael Farnbach

That is fine, providing they are on 2 different layers within Illustrator it can be done.

Probably my fault for not explaining it clearly as i was doing it from memory.

1) Import the Illustrator file as normal into Indesign.

2) Convert it to a button as normal

3) Within Indesign, select the next state that you want in the Buttons panel. Will either be Rollover or Click

4) Double click somewhere on the button (but not in the centre) and it should go to the solid blue frame (as opposed to the dotted blue frame or orange frame)

5) Then go File>Place

6) On the left hand side towards to bottom you should see a tick box saying Show Import Options. Make sure this is ticked and click Open. (See screen grab)

7) A new window will appear. Select the Layer tab and you can now alter which layers are visible. Switch the visibilities over and click ok

That should be it

The 2 states in illustrator

screen1.jpg

The import option you need to tick

screen2.jpg

Showing the new options you have to alter layer visibility

screen3.jpg

How it should look. i.e. the next state selected, and the correct layer has the eye symbol

screen4.jpg

End result

screen5.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points