Skip navigation
Methvin
Currently Being Moderated

If I upgrade to LR4 from LR3 can I download D800 NEF raw files and transfer to PSE10 as raw?

Apr 2, 2012 2:25 PM

This may be the way to go if it would work. Anyone know?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 2:12 AM   in reply to Methvin

If you did that, PSE10 still will not be able to read the RAW files until the new camera raw was available.

If you use a card reader, you should be able to see the files a NEF when using explorer (if windows) and they can be copied to your hard drive.

Doesn't the D800 come with any software that you use as a temporary measure to convert your RAW images? You can always reconvert them using the new camera raw when it is out.

The new version of camera raw should be out fairly soon.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Apr 3, 2012 2:32 AM   in reply to Methvin

No that would not work. LR4 has a brand new raw engine ACR 7.0 with different sliders. It would be incompatible with PSE10 at present.

However, LR4 would probably meet most of your editing needs. I rarely find I have to go into Elements except for layers and text.

ACR 7.0 click to view

ACR-New.png

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Apr 3, 2012 2:58 AM   in reply to Methvin

Your camera shoots at 36mp which is akin to medium format. I think you will find LR will handle very large raw files more efficiently especially doing bulk edits. You can also export a fresh set of jpegs, tiff or PSD files with a single click from Lightroom, directly from your NEF’s and then work on those in Elements.

ACR 7.0 produces some amazing results in the highlights and shadows areas of images. The old brightness, fill-light and recovery sliders have disappeared.

ACR7 requires a new way of thinking and a new way of working with raw images. However Adobe have produced an excellent default starting point with all the sliders set at zero, with the ability to make positive and negative adjustments. I have found that almost perfect results can be achieved with the new exposure and contrast sliders. The highlights and shadows sliders offer even greater control. I only use the blacks and whites if extra punch is needed at each extreme end of the histogram.

I would not recommend automatically changing raw images to Process Version 2012. Use the new version going forward as you import from camera and leave previously edited raw images on PV2010, where the old sliders will still be available.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to Methvin

LR never transfers photos to PSE as RAW. You can only transfer to PSE as PSD or TIF.

And if you have LR, there is no point to use the RAW/ACR capabilities in PSE. Total waste of time. The RAW/ACR tools in PSE are the same as in LR, plus LR has a few that PSE doesn't have.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Apr 3, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Methvin

You may be interested in trying the CS6 Beta. You can download it here and use it free for 60 days.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs6/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Methvin

Methvin wrote:

Thank you all for your kind replies. Looks like I need to re-examine LR and learn how to use it better. Didn't know it was such a complete processor.

I was very careful to refer to using ACR in PSE. It is less capable than Lightroom.

However, the rest of the PSE Editor contains many many many tools that are not available in LR. Many people use PSE as a secondary editor, after doing initial edits in LR.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points