Skip navigation
LydiaCraneTurner
Currently Being Moderated

Help with Illustrator Clipping Mask!

Apr 2, 2012 3:22 AM

Tags: #illustrator #problem #cs5 #path #objects

Hi,

I am trying to make a clipping mask over a alot of vectors (to be specific, have made an envelope design so am trying to use the template/evenlope outline as the clipping path) however when ever I try to create the clipping mask - command 7 - all the vectors inside are deleted mostly or half dissapear.

I have tried;

Making sure the clipping path is the top layer in the layers panel

Ungrouping the vectors and selecting individually to mask all together

Putting all into a new document and clipping

Seperating the clipping path and what I want to clip into differnt layers

None of the above has worked as yet, I have done this plenty of times before but am not sure what I am over looking. I am using CS5 on a mac.

Thanks for anyones help!

here is what I am trying to do; I need all of the vecotrs to be masked by the envelope outline.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 4:18 AM   in reply to LydiaCraneTurner

You cannot mask using an envelope or a mesh

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 4:59 AM   in reply to LydiaCraneTurner

Hi, maybe I can help since most of my pupils uses to find the same problem sometimes:

1. make sure that all the objects to be masked are only ONE entity, a group for example.

2 make sure your template is either a path or a compound path, never a group.

3. if you are using a template, make sure that the vectors are not in "guide" mode.

As Illustrator is likely to create groups with asking no permission is a common issue to find yourself trying to make a mask with a group not knowing it.

Excuse my english

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:18 AM   in reply to LydiaCraneTurner

The hape for the clipping masl has to be on the same layer as that which is be masked.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to LydiaCraneTurner

You can use  envelopes and meshes in an Opacity Mask. Will that work for you? Advantage is, you can have graduated transparency.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to LydiaCraneTurner

Wade is right. You must have all that you want masked on the same layer as the mask itself. Do this first then let us know if you're still having issues.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to LydiaCraneTurner

To understand masks and how NOT to lose your layers, have a look here:

http://rwillustrator.blogspot.ca/2006/01/beauty-behind-mask.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to LydiaCraneTurner

Select the "future mask" and go to the menú View - Guides - Release Guides (if avaliable).

In Ill you can convert any vector object into guides.

When i said "guide mode" i meant object converted to guides ir order to not print them and use just as a template, when you said it was a template for an envelope the idea that maybe you were dealing with guides instead of an object seemed a possibility.

GL

PD. Nevermind, i just tried to create a mask with guides and the message you get is pretty descriptive. I ran out of clues, if its not a groupping problem I dont know what else can be.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:39 AM   in reply to LydiaCraneTurner

Without having the file to investigate it's hard for me to guess at this point Lydia. If you can post the file I could take a look at it for you. Sounds like you've done most of what I would have tried so far though.

J

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to LydiaCraneTurner

I you are using a template in AI CS 4 or 5 then it is possible thgat the template is an artboard which you cannot use as a clipping mask.

You would have to draw a rectaangle to the size of the enevelope template and use that rectangle path as a clipping mask.

Ok! Besides from that possibility if yiou are printing an envelope withy objects that have to be clipped to the edge of the front of the enevelope that is not a very good idea.

Even if you are printing and then converting the envelope it is a bad idea as you8 would definitely need a bleed and that would wrap around to the back of the envelope and in a nott so pretty way.

OK so say you are using an inkjet that can print on an envelope and it can even successfu8lly print it with a bleed feature the way thoise  bleed features have to work is that they enlarge the art slightly and so whyat every you design and create will be enlarge and trying to figure that out is not going to be very easy.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points