Hi guys -
Any update on Content Viewer? I know, I know...it's in the hands of Apple...but are you experiencing any problems?
It seems like it's taking particularly long this round to gain Apple's approval.
The opportunity to build custom viewers is great...but it is not a solution for sharing folios with external customers.
I while I think it admirable that you released the new Folio Producer Tools early (prior to release of content viewer) in practice it comes off as a bit of a hassle for those of us in production.
You wouldn't release a new version of Acrobat without ensuring that from day one, an updated (and freely accessible) Reader was available to open any of the newly created PDF's.
Early release should be the venue of beta testers.
And if you need to update - even a mandatory update to Folio Builder Panel - for me - that is fine. It keeps the cloud running as smoothly as possible, but it doesn't need to be on the same schedule as updates to the Tools, Viewer, and Viewer Builder.
In fact my vote would be to not bake Folio Builder Panel updates into a "Single Installer" as is alluded to with ID6.
Maintaining cloud integrity, integration with ID on the desktop, and basic server uptime should have nothing to do with the actual applications running on it whether those applications are DPS or something else down the road.
I checked in with the person on our team who handles this process and she's had an, ah, entertaining morning.
Apple rejected the v19 Adobe Content Viewer over the weekend due to a misunderstanding of app behaviour. We have resubmitted explaining how the rejection was incorrect, and as soon as I hear an update I'll report back.
That's what I suspected...I think the $600/share valuation has gone to their head.
Seriously, if you wait long enough in line at the USPS - at least you will get a clerk before 5:00 that day.
We will continue to hold off on installing Folio Producer Tools for now...
Adobe needs to kiss ***, grease palm, or whatever euphemism is needed to strike a deal with Apple for streamlined approvals or approval-less publication of Content Viewer updates. This is very big business for both companies and their mutual consumers and content producers. Surely both Adobe and Apple can set aside their animus for the benefit of their share prices and customer bases.
When do you think the new Content Viewer app will be available?
I keep getting the message that I need to update the app in order to download a new version of a publication I am trying to view on my iPad.
Do I need to download an older version of DPS tool/Folio Builder in order to access my new content?
I have a presentation tomorrow morning and can't get the new magazine onto my iPad.
Surely both Adobe and Apple can set aside their animus for the benefit of their share prices and customer bases.
@Pariah – I would not count on that. Or was it plain sarcasm from your side?
OT: I cannot respond to several Adobe forums this morning. Inspite of being logged-in, there is no reply-button at threads InDesign Scripting, InDesign SDK, InDesign Feature Requests or InDesign.
I already made a comment at the Forum Comments-forum…
Well, going back to 18 when you have built your articles using 19 does not work well at all. (I had an v.18 on a laptop)
I transfered my InDesign files over to the laptop with the older version. They open fine, but when previewed in the desktop Content Viewer many of the overlays/actions do not work since they were built using v.19. They will all need to be rebuilt using v.18
But thanks for your help Bob. Much appreciated.
Well, I rolled back to 18 two weeks ago... and it worked well. But since one hour I am not able to update my folio on the ipad.
The Content Viewer says I need a new app-version.
I Have NOT UPDATED anything today, i am still using v18.
ANYONE, ANY HINTS, ANY ADVICE ???????
I have to admit, I am going as crazy as you.
Had a show and tell scheduled this morning with a major client and I cannot get their publication to the iPad to show it to them in the real environment it is designed to be seen in.
They will think I am "speaking in toungues" if I try and explain the 'technical' reasons their publication is stuck up in the cloud.
I promised an update as soon as I had one, and checked in on this first thing this morning. Unfortunately we were rejected again. We understand the importance of getting this resolved quickly and we are opting for the fastest path to approval, which means a targeted change to the content viewer. I sat with the engineer just now and the change is complete. We need to do a verification on the resulting viewer, then we'll re-submit to Apple.
In case people are concerned about their own custom viewers being rejected, this issue is specific to the Adobe Content Viewer. It is not an issue in any custom viewer you may create.
I'll keep everyone updated as I have new information.
I aprpeciate the additional info, Neil. Thank you.
As an aside, when considering the various platforms to get our content to the iPad and other tablets, the ease with which we can test is a heavy consideration. The Mag+ system, for example, is slick and doesn't seem to get hung up with the approval issues Adobe is having. I recognize the difficult position Adobe is in with Apple's approval policies, but it seems Adobe is a big enough player to ensure their Content Viewer app is a high priority to Apple's approval team. And if that's simply not the case, Adobe needs to develop a different system for on-device testing.
But again, my main reason for posting is to thank you, Neil, for shedding additonal light on the matter. It helps.
If you are a Professional or Enterprise Edition customer then yes, you can create a custom Adobe Content Viewer using Viewer Builder and use that to preview v19 content today. We specifically added this feature so pro and enterprise customers do not have to wait for the ACV to be approved by Apple before experimenting with new features in a given release.
Verification of the updated viewer is complete and I just watched as we pushed the submit button to send it off for review by Apple. Once I hear an update on the review status I'll let everyone know.
That is the best news I have heard all day, or week or whaterver it has been.
The frustration at not being able to show my clients the progress we have made on a major project has been a b---ear.
Thanks much for keeping us informed as this saga has unfolded.
Good job Neil (and you too Bob)
Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I know it takes some extra bit of effort to convey this information publicly...but even small updates like this can be extremely helpful in our own conversations with customers (both internal and external).
Hopefully the re-submission sails through App Review!
Morning update: there's no update, the viewer is still pending review. I'll reply to this thread every morning so everyone knows I haven't forgotten about this. Hopefully one of those updates soon will be "it's approved"!
I hate Apple for such behaviour.. such monstrous company as Adobe should wait when it's majesty Apple will start reviewing it's content viewer. I am 100% sure that the only purpose of it is to delay Adobe and show how bad Adobe is.. clients waiting, clients angry. If Adobe were 'frendly' company it would be done in 30 minutes after submition (rather than 1 month). I don't how what's going on behind the scenes but such huge companies should have extra priority, now it looks like Adobe is in queue with 1000s rubbish apps made by kids... 'oh this farty app is not cool enough.. who is next? Adobe? oh, let's look closer at current app.. pressing the button..blurp..cool, Adobe can wait'
Good morning everyone. Unfortunately my update this morning is essentially the same: we are still "in review". I will update when the status changes, or tomorrow morning, whichever happens first.
Europe, Middle East and Africa