Skip navigation
BlackoutzDK
Currently Being Moderated

When i try to use lighting effects it's just closing down Cs6

Mar 26, 2012 3:29 AM

Tags: #crash #bug #cs6_beta

YEah every time i try to use the lighting effect it just says straight "The problem has stopped working http://screensnapr.com/e/ht6aPT.jpg

Please help me!

Replies
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,058 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to BlackoutzDK

Hello! Welcome to the beta. please take some time to review the FAQs. There is one in particular that asks you to share some info about your setup when posting possible bugs: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/963366?tstart=0

If you are on XP, the 3D features are not supported. There is a minimum power needed for the graphic cards, and you want to make sure that you are using the latest drivers.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to BlackoutzDK

I have same problem w/my windows 7 64 bit and 2 gb graphic card,

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 7:26 PM   in reply to BlackoutzDK

sounds like it could still beGPU or driver related. Can you try out GPU troubleshooting issues below and let us know what happens?

Pattie

GPU/OpenGL preferences in Photoshop CS6

The advantages of using a compatible video card (GPU) with Photoshop are that you can experience better performance and more features.   Problems can occur if you have an older video card with limited VRAM or if you use other programs at the same time as Photoshop that use the GPU.

1. Choose Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences (Mac OS).
    2. In the Performance panel, make sure Use Graphics Processor is selected in GPU Settings.
    3. Click Advanced Settings and specify the following options:
      • Mode > Basic
      • Mode > Normal
      • Mode > Advanced Provides the benefits of Normal mode as well as newer OpenGL advances that can result in improved performance.
      • Use Graphics Processor to Accelerate Computation
      • Use OpenCL Uses the GPU to accelerate the new blur filters (Field Blur, Iris Blur, and Tilt-Shift) – OpenCL will only be available on newer GPUs that support OpenCL v1.1 or higher
      • Anti-Alias Guides And Paths Allows the GPU hardware to smooth the edges of drawn guides and paths.
      • 30 Bit Display (Windows only) Allows Photoshop to display 30 bit data directly to screen on video cards that support it

Quick GPU Troubleshooting StepsYou can experience problems such as artifacts, errors, and crashes if there are incompatibilities between Photoshop and the display components that access the GPU.If you experience crashes, incorrectly rendered windows or objects, redraw issues, or performance issues while running Photoshop, first determine whether OpenGL is causing the problem.

1. Turn off OpenGL.
      • Choose Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences (Mac OS).
      • In the Performance panel, uncheck Use Graphics Processor. Click OK.
      • Restart Photoshop, and perform the same function.

If the problem recurs while OpenGL Drawing is disabled, OpenGL is not the cause. For additional troubleshooting, see Troubleshoot system errors and freezes | Adobe software on Windows (cpsid_82252) or Troubleshoot system errors and freezes | Adobe software on Mac OS 10.x (cpsid_82414).If the problem resolves, proceed with the rest of the troubleshooting steps to fix OpenGL.

1. Make sure that you're using the latest update of Photoshop.
      • Updates fix bugs and issues.
    2. Update the display driver.
      • Updated display drivers can fix many issues, such as crashing, incorrectly rendered objects, and performance problems. See Update the video display driver. Then, turn on Use Graphics Processor in Photoshop preferences.
    3. Reset preferences.
      • Resetting preferences returns OpenGL settings to their default status. Reset Photoshop preferences by pressing and holding Shift+Ctrl+Alt (Windows) or Shift+Option+Command (Mac OS) immediately after you start Photoshop.
      • Click Yes when asked if you want to delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings File.
      • Retry the function that caused the problem.
    4. Change the OpenGL mode to Basic.
      • Setting the OpenGL mode to Basic uses the least amount of GPU memory and the most basic GPU feature set.
      • Close all documents.
      • Choose Edit > Preferences (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences (Mac OS)
      • In the Performance panel, click the GPU Settings Advanced Settings button.
      • Choose Mode > Basic
      • Restart Photoshop.
        If this solution resolves the problem, switch to Normal mode. See if the issue recurs. If the issue recurs, return to Basic mode.
      • Note:  If you’re changing GPU preferences to troubleshoot a problem, re-launch Photoshop after each change.
    5. If you are using more than one video adapter, remove the additional cards.
      • Multiple video adapters can cause problems with GPU accelerated or enabled features in Photoshop. It's best to connect two (or more) monitors into one video adapter. If you have to use more than one video adapter, make sure that they are the same make and model. Otherwise, crashes and other problems can occur in Photoshop.
      • Note: Using two video adapters does not enhance Photoshop's performance.
    6. Check your Cache Levels setting.
      • If you've set your Cache Levels to 1 in Photoshop preferences, you can experience performance issues with GPU features. Reset Cache Levels to the default setting, which is 4.
      • Choose Edit > Preferences > Performance (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences (Mac OS)
      • In the Performance panel, choose Cache Levels > 4.

The GPU Sniffer

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to BlackoutzDK

Hi,

Can you provide your system info, please?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4209321#4209321

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to go4jcww

Hi Pattie,

Thank you for hope, I tried this step but still doesn't work, ... JC

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to SG...

Hi Steve,

Here is the system Info. Thank you, .... JC

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.0 (13.0 20120305.m.415 2012/03/05:21:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:10, Stepping:5 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 4

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2793 MHz

Built-in memory: 12279 MB

Free memory: 9952 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 11005 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 100 %

Image tile size: 128K

Image cache levels: 4

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Basic

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

Video Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.

Video Card Renderer: ATI Radeon HD 5570

Display: 1

Display Bounds:=  top: 0, left: 0, bottom: 1600, right: 2560

Video Card Number: 1

Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5570

OpenCL Unavailable

Driver Version: 8.740.0.0

Driver Date: 20100517000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,ati umd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdv a,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll

Video Mode: 2560 x 1600 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Caption: ATI Radeon HD 5570

Video Card Memory: 2048 MB

Video Rect Texture Size: 16384

Serial number: Tryout Version

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\

Temporary file path: C:\Users\JIMMY~1.JIM\AppData\Local\Temp\

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Scratch volume(s):

C:\, 119.1G, 25.6G free

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to go4jcww

Hi JC,

You have an older video driver:

Driver Version: 8.740.0.0

Driver Date: 20100517000000.000000-000

Try going to the AMD/ATI website and downloading the latest driver 12.3:

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64. aspx

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to SG...

Hi Steve,

Thank you for help, I updaded driver it works, but Lighting effects is closing down Photoshop cs6 sometimes. Take care and be well, ... JC

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to go4jcww

Hi JC,

Glad that got you nominally working. What size files are you using; 8 bit or 16 bit mode? With a discrete card that has 2GB and the latest driver, you shouldn't be crashing. Do you have files that consistently, if intermittently, crash Ps?

regards,

steve

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to SG...

Hi Steve,

Thank you for quick response, I use camera raw open to PS w/16 bit file, size around 20 mb,

I changed the Graphics processor settings from Advanced to Basic in the Photoshop, it is geting

better. By the way, I have to uncheck Use OpenCL, when I use the Gallery Blur such as Iris Blur.

Why?

Best regards,

JC

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to BlackoutzDK

In my case, PS CS6 Win 7 64-bit, Lighting Effects loads OK but there are no on-image controls --just a light that you cannot move or control.

I have an nvidia 9800GT with the latest drivers.

HOWEVER, it works if I load the 32-bit PhotoShop.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points