Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Should I wait for Lightroom?

Apr 1, 2012 4:26 PM

Hello, I am not very technical, but enjoy taking photos, and editing them - I have been using Nikon Capture nx2, and thought I had decided to change to Lightroom - that is until I spent many hours on the internet reading about the problems with Lightroom 4. I just wonder if it is usual to have these problems when there is a software upgrade, or should I be worried, and for those who may have experienced this sort of thing how long might it take before I can buy L4 safe in the knowledge that a)my photos will be safe and b)I can just use it.

It just seems to be that some people on this forum appear to have more interest in problem solving for Adobde than taking photos, editing them and having a

life - or am I being unfair? It just seems that, as far as this forum is concerned, I am in the minority, but I think not. Surely this forum should be about how to get the best out of Lightroom to make better photos - and not about doing something Adobe should be sorting out.

I am also looking to buy NIK plugins, but an email I sent to them 2 weeks ago is still unanswered.

I am about to change from a laptop pc to an imac, and spend more money on software - I do not earn a huge wage, so this is a big expense and I therefore expect a product that works. Adobe is a big software company, so I expected more from them, but they worry me now.

So, my big questions are a) should I wait  b) how long should I be expected to wait  and c) should I play safe and just buy Aperture?

Sorry to sound negative, but what if you bought a tv/washing machine etc. that didn't work.

I'm just putting my oar in for all the non-technical people out there who just want a workable product, and are scared stiff that they will end end with something that takes more than they are capable of to get working, before thet even start on learning how the software works

Many thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to Roy Kaye

Probably best to wait for Lightroom 4.1 to be released. They seem to have worked out a lot of the major issues and that release should be worthy of your money. Aperture is also a good piece of software, but it is getting a little long in the tooth and is probably due for an upgrade, so to buy it now may be throwing money away, as there seems to be no upgrade path in the App store, only full versions. I suspect a new version of Aperture is coming, but no one knows for sure. Just get your Mac, start off using iPhoto (which comes with it) and see if that does what you need. Coming from Capture NX2, I imagine you'll want Lightroom 4 in the end. The price of Lightroom is now 50% less than previous versions, so well worth the money.

Either way, download the free trial versions of each and spend 30 days with them before plunking down your hard earned cash.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 6:26 PM   in reply to Roy Kaye

Download the trial and see for yourself.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 4:13 AM   in reply to Roy Kaye

Roy Kaye wrote:

No good waiting for L4.1 as it seems to have arrived, but still with variou problems.

No, it's LR4.1 "Release Candidate".  Not quite the same thing.

Over this (note: over this) I have some sympathy with Adobe.  I don't for a minute doubt the integrity or capability of the developers, and I'm sure they were confident that LR4.0 was fit to go, but it appears to have a number of bugs and issues not apparent in the beta.  These were serious enough that they needed to rush out a fix asap, and hence LR4.1 RC.  But the speed of getting this version out has clearly meant it's still "work in progress".  Presumably the release version of LR4.1 will appear fairly soon, but I wonder if it will take a further release to get rid of some of the issues. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

CSS Simon wrote:

...but I wonder if it will take a further release to get rid of some of the issues. 

I'm guessing it will be similar to how things went with Lr1, 2, & 3... - the .0 version works well enough for most people, but each dot release gets a little better...

PS - I'm not sure buying Aperture is "playing it safe" ;-}

PS - No reason to wait to try - the majority of people are not having the issues of the vocal minority... - if you are one of the unlucky ones, then of course wait and hope...

R

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Hi, I'm old and computer-challenged and just plunked down some of my Soc Sec bucks to upgrade (to take advantage of the prices) from LR2 to LR4 and to upgrade my CS3 to CS5 and the discs will arrive in a couple of days.  So, have been reading for several days, here and elsewhere, to see what I need to know before installing.  Although there appear to be some 'problems' I've had LR since the very beginning and never had a glitch (knock on wood) in upgrading.  My inclination is to go ahead and install the new discs, see how it goes, and then wait for LR4.1 (NOT the RC, but the final version) before updating LR 4 and NOT jump into LR4.1RC (which, it appears, is a whole NEW UPGRADE). 

I really don't want to screw up the smooth-running programs I've had for several years.  Does that sound reasonable and are there any other things I should adjust, watch, change ??? 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to justjoia

You can download the free 30 day trial and test with a sample of images. It will install seperately from your existing version of Lightroom and you can upgrade your existing catalog to make a compatable version for LR 4. Your present catalog will remain in place. One thing I would suggest is that you do not activate "auto write to .xmp" so you do not interfere with the existing .xmp files from your earlier version of Lightroom. When you are satisfied with the performance of the new version you can just imput the new license key when you receive the disks in the mail.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to Roy Kaye

I've upgraded to LR 4 with no problems at all. As many people have found, it is slower than LR3 and I hope that can be addressed.

I agree with the OP that most of this forum seems to be concerned with complaints and faults and it would be nice if more of it were about using LR. Nonetheless, I am a bit of a dab hand with the program now and I learnt much of what I know from asking questions and getting good answers from people here.

From my own experience, I don't think that LR has more problems than any other piece of software. It is doing a complicated job and always developing. User input here must be very handy for Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 3:15 PM   in reply to Roy Kaye

Roy as has beend eatiled, the vast majority have no issue with Lr4 (me included) but rest assured the Adobe Lr team are working hard on sorting out issues. I know of no Apple forums like this where the interaction is only moderately moderated so pretty much anything goes including people letting off steam, that says something about Adobe.

This is a user to user forum but is loosely watched by the Adobe team and problems picked up on. The correct site for problems, ideas, etc is Photoshop.com.

Also Lightroomforums.net is a great resource for getting assistance using Lightroom and is independent of Adobe but run by experts in Lightroom.

Roy Kaye wrote:

Thanks for your advice. I think Lightroom is a better bet over Aperture as long as there are no problems, but I will buy Aperture

if my patience with Adobe runs out. Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 1:28 AM   in reply to Roy Kaye

It is a good idea to first install the trial version and then make a purchasing decision.  I ended up upgrading to LR 4 despite the problems a lot of people have reported, and am very happy I did.  LR 4 (I haven't installed the RC LR4.1) runs just as fast as LR 3 did on my lower-end system. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to Roy Kaye

I used to run Nikon Capture Nx2 and switched to Lightroom.  Now on Lr 4.1 RC and have no regrets.  Would never go back.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 6:52 AM   in reply to glugglug

>I agree with the OP that most of this forum seems to be concerned with complaints and faults and it would be nice if more of it were about using LR.

This is a technical support forum, not a "how do I use Lightroom" forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 11:13 PM   in reply to Danny Michael

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 1:25 AM   in reply to Roy Kaye

Hi Roy,

Most of the bugs in LR4.0 or 4.1RC bite people with data from previous versions.

If you start afresh you are unlikely to get hit by most of them. Just maybe do not create a book yet.

As a newbie you are far more likely to hurt yourself by misunderstanding of basic concepts and features. As we all have been...

So before actually doing much inside LR take your time and -depending on your learning style- watch videos of Adobe TV and read good instruction material (e.g. http://www.lightroomqueen.com/category/book-news/excerpts/).

The most important topic to cover is how to organize your photos in storage and in LR.

Have fun,

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to Danny Michael

dmcrescent wrote:

>I agree with the OP that most of this forum seems to be concerned with complaints and faults and it would be nice if more of it were about using LR.

This is a technical support forum, not a "how do I use Lightroom" forum.

I seem to have been taken in by the title Lightroom Discussion - I assumed it meant anything you wanted to discuss about Lightroom.  In the OPs case, this is the wrong forum then because he is asking whether he should wait to buy LR, if so how long, or should he buy Aperture instead? Those are definitely no technical discussion.

Are you an Adobe employee, dmcrescent? If so, can you confirm that the OP should not have asked his question on this forum (and presumably advise Geoff the Kiwi, as a community professional, that he should not have answered it). Maybe Geoff could confirm that this forum is for technical discussion only?

I had never realised that since much of my working knowledge of LR was garnered from helpful people here and I 'd be sad not to have the benefit of such a learning resource.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to glugglug

I stand corrected. Have at it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to Roy Kaye

Roy Kaye wrote:

Hello, I am not very technical, but enjoy taking photos, and editing them - I have been using Nikon Capture nx2, and thought I had decided to change to Lightroom - that is until I spent many hours on the internet reading about the problems with Lightroom 4. I just wonder if it is usual to have these problems when there is a software upgrade, or should I be worried, and for those who may have experienced this sort of thing how long might it take before I can buy L4 safe in the knowledge that a)my photos will be safe and b)I can just use it.

As a newcomer to LR my guess is you will have far fewer issues with LR4 than "experienced" LR users. LR4 incorporates the first radical change to the Develop module's Basic tools (Process 2012). User with considerable experience using LR 1, 2 & 3 (Process 2003 & 2010) Basic tools are the ones complaining the loudest, and for good reason. After spending countless hours (years?) honing skills using LR's tools, they now have to sort of "start all over." You still have the choice to use LR3's Process 2010 Basis tools in LR4, but then "you're throwing away the baby with the bath water."

I think you will be pleased with LR4 coming from NX2. That said there are some bugs that LR 4.1 RC fixes, so I suggest downloading and reviewing it over the LR 4 released trial version:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/

I'm not sure when LR 4.1 final version will be released, but IMHO it's worth the wait. In the interim you can get some experience with what LR4.1 RC has to offer you by actually working with it. I suggest you continue using NX2 on your image files and compare the results to what you can obtain with some of the images in LR4.1 RC. To prevent "messing up" your image files (a valid concern), make copies of the files you want to use for comparison purposes and put them in a separate folder that you only import into LR.

For guidance Rob Cole has provided a link to a great mini-tutorial he posted in the forums, started here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/968940?tstart=0

and continued here:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom4-1/

As already mentioned LR4 will only get better in future update releases (LR4.x). The situation is no different for Apple's products, just Google Aperture 3 problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to trshaner

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 2:39 AM   in reply to Roy Kaye

Lightroom has a lot of happy users and all the users who doesn't have any problems will not write a post of their positive experience. This is a "help me with a problem" forum and you should not base you opinion on Lightroom quality from reading here.

I used Capture before and had a lot of issues. It was slow and had a lot of bugs. Nikon had no forum and employees didn't contribute in other forums when questions was asked. The workflow was very time consuming.

I've used Lightroom since LR 1 and I am extreemly happy with the software. No problems at all   For every version LR has been improved a lot and I think it's much better then Capture now.

If you like Nikon color I will suggest you use the Camera profiles included in LR. I think Nikons color are too orange and use Colorchecker to get better color.

Sverre

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 2:44 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

continued here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4259091#4259091

Rob contribute a lot in this forums with more advanced issues/ideas but I don't think it's a good idea to start her for a new user. No reason to make things more complicated then needed. Start with videos from Julian Kost (free) and Liminous Landscape (a few dollars).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to Roy Kaye

I would start wih LR4 and see if you need the NIK plugin at all...

NIK or any other external editors (like Photoshop) will not change your DNG file. When you start an external editor LR make a TIFF file with all the editing from LR included. NIK use this for further editing. The DNG file are still there but usally hidden in a stack with the TIFF on the top.

When LR comes with a new version it doesn't change your TIFF and JPG files. It also keep the old process version for all your RAW files - only newly imported RAW files get the latest process version automatically. In my library I still have files edited with process version 2003 and 2010. I only upgrade old photos to process version 2012 when i want to reedit a picture.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to justjoia

justjoia wrote:

Hi, I'm old and computer-challenged and just plunked down some of my Soc Sec bucks to upgrade (to take advantage of the prices) from LR2 to LR4 and to upgrade my CS3 to CS5 and the discs will arrive in a couple of days. 

If you ordered your CS5 (I assume you mean Photoshop CS5) on or after March 26 from the official Adobe store, you get a free upgrade to Photoshop CS6 when it comes out http://store.adobe.com/store/en_us/popup/offer/cs55_cs6_faq.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:02 PM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen, how kind of you to send the 'heads up'!  I had ordered both LR 4 and PCS5 on March 27 - made it under the wire evidently for the upgrade to PCS6!  Thanks for the link.

Incidentally, I, too, went ahead and upgraded to LR 4 - BUT will wait for LR 4.1 until they shake out any glitches in the RC.  LR 4 is doing well - the only problem is that the larger folders to not show the photos in the Library.  Can still work in Develop module, though.  It's just not very convenient, particularly for filtering searches in ALL PHOTOS . . . . . . . . . . . . . ahhh, well!  

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points