Skip navigation
Sundog7
Currently Being Moderated

Transferring/Upgrading to Photoshop Elements 10 from PC to Mac - Problems with backup and restore

Apr 3, 2012 1:49 PM

I've been attempting to transfer my entire photo collection (WITH TAGS) to my new Mac to no avail.

What I have done:

Installed PSE10 on my new Mac.

Successfully exported and imported my tags (created and transferred a .xml file) into PSE10 on my Mac.  (Perhaps this duplicates the next step I took writing tag info to files??)

After using the File>Write Tag Info To Files command on my old PC (this took a considerable amount of time to write), I followed the instructions for backup of my photos.  This also took a considerable amount of time (10,000 photos).

I now have a backup file on an external drive (10,000 files labeled B****.JPG, one Backup.tly file, and one My Catalog.buc file) ready to restore on my Mac.

The problem:

All attempts to restore the file from the external drive to my Mac have failed.  I have attempted to restore the file to a 'new location'. . .a folder on my C:\ drive.  Error message:  "The disk in drive does not contain a valid backup."  This error messages occurs regardless of whether the box "Restore original folder structure" is checked or not.

I would appreciate any specific advice someone may be able to provide. . .thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to Sundog7

You need to choose the backup.tly file, not the enclosing folder as the source for the restore.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to Sundog7

Oh, sorry. I thought you were just going cross platform. You will need to install PSE 9 or 10 (if you bought the boxed version you have discs for both mac and windows) and update your windows PSE first. Then you can uninstall the upgraded version from windows if you don't need it there. The mac version can't read catalogs from pre PSE 9 versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to Sundog7

Well, another option, since you already wrote your tags into the files, would be to just copy over the images to the mac, put them where you want to keep them, and then use File>Get Photos and Videos>from Files and Folders

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

What about transfering "albums" from a PC to MAC?  Some but not all of my tags made it through.  Also over the years I had not loaded all of my 15,000 photos into Photoshop but now it looks like I'll have to, and then spends hours and hours fixing everything.  Very sloppy Adobe, Very sloppy!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points