Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Saving .ico files from PE10?

Apr 3, 2012 8:36 AM

Hi

I downloaded and installed a copy of Photoshop Elements 10 to run in Windows 8, because it won't let me run my CS3 which is installed in Windows 7 unless I deregister it first.

My problem is that after installing the pluggin when I try and save an Icon (.ico) file it always says "Could not save D:\...\Explorer "name of flile" .ico because of a disk error".

I can save in any other format with no problem, the file is't too big I do this a lot in my other Photoshop installation.

I also notice that when I open the save window I can not see the other .ico files in the folder, which I'm pretty sure I can when I open it with Photoshop CS3.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Also are all pluggings created equal?

I just downloaded this on from some place at random, is there a recommnended site to get these things.

I tried to find a place to get it from Adobe but no luck when I searched their site.

Is there an Adobe source for pluggins?

Thanks for the help,

Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

You're at the mercy of the plugin's developer -- unless that developer can test and guarrantee that the plugin works with your version of PSE and Windows, you're out of luck.

That Adobe plugin site you found is the only Adobe source, and even then, there's no guarrantee the plugin will work on your system.

For working with icons, I use the IconoMaker specialized program:

http://www.iconempire.com/icono-maker/

It's not free, but is a great tool for icons.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

I've got an icon plugin that works in pse 10 ,but i haven't tried it on windows 8, so i'll post back with the results.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

This one seems to work in win 8 with pse 10:

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/

Your allowed to have cs3 on two computers at the same time without deactivating the other.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

You usually get the message about having deactivate if you already have cs3 installed on two computers.

Did you have cs3 installed on another computer before windows 7?

As far as i know all the adobe programs allow installation on two of you own computers at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to Nohjekim

I find windows 8 pretty good as well once you get past the metro stuff. (still metro is a lot better than that unity on some linux systems)

Although after almost twenty years of of having a start orb on the desktop i installed classicshell so the desktop looks complete.

If you want a version of photoshop on windows 8, you could try the cs6 beta, which is good for 60 days.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs6/

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points