Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver CS3 Won't Open  - Tried Every Solution Posted

Feb 14, 2012 5:07 PM

After using Dreamweaver CS3 on my Windows 7 (64 bit) Desktop PC (HP Pavilion P6320Y) for well over a  year without any problems, it suddenly does not want to open.    All the other CS3 apps continue to open fine. I tried some of the other solutions I saw out there on the net 1) looking for files that might meet  the 8192kb bug critera, 2) resetting the compatibility mode back to XP, 3) I reinstalled the program, 4) I ended the processes in Task Manager, 5) I looked for the configuration  *.dat files one person mentioned to delete and could not find any of those that were named as he suggested. I am stumped. Does anyone have any ideas?  

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 14, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to dgrwebster

Have another look for the WinFileCache...........dat file in your personal config folder.

Try deleting your personal config folder.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/417116#cache

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2012 10:23 AM   in reply to dgrwebster

I had the same problem.  Solved by opening through right click and opening in administrator mode.  I then set the program to open automatically in administrator mode and will hopefully set a rule so it doesn't ask me if it is ok everytime I open it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to dgrwebster

A few ideas:

• A recent Windows Update?
    • A computer virus?
    • Hard drive failure?
    • Memory problem?
    • Conflict with Anti-Virus software?
    • Is Dreamweaver shutting down all the way when you close it?  Check your task manager.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to dgrwebster

I just ran into this problem today and solved it by systematically renaming all my Managed Site folders until it started up again. 

I found the solution at this site:

http://www.mikepadgett.com/technology/technical/dreamweaver-cs3-crashe s-and-wont-start-up-again/

Apparently Dreamweaver will crash if you edit a file to exactly a multiple of 8,192 bytes.  Renaming your folders,or editing the file outside of Dreamweaver so it is more or less than 8,192kb when saved fixes it.  I couldn't find the file causing the problem but I assume that I would find it in the last folder I tried renaming.

Leanne

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 7:25 AM   in reply to dgrwebster

Hmmmm.  The fact that it works for a couple of days, then stops, leads me to think you may have something else running (sporadically) that conflicts with DW.

(Though, I can't imagine what that could be.)

You mentioned you tried a cold boot.  Did you launch anything else? 

Since you mentioned a recent TaxCut install, does TaxCut have any processes running in the background when DW crashes?

Also, what specifically happens when DW fails to open?

Does it open and then just blank-out?  No DW window at all?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to dgrwebster

Oh man.  This one's got me stumped.

Do you have your preferences set to "Reopen documents at startup"?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to dgrwebster

Thanks for this discussion, I'm googling about this problem and found this post.

I think the problem occur after install window 7 updates.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to dgrwebster

dgrwebster wrote:

I'll check next time it opens.  About due for an opening in a day or so...

If the option is on - turn it off, close out all your open pages (if any) and restart DW.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 11:04 PM   in reply to dgrwebster

Hi dgrwebster,

Man!  I hate to admit it but I'm at a loss for suggestions on this one.

You've either got a hardware problem, a DW installation problem or a software conflict problem.

I guess we can rule out hardware, since nothing else is going wrong on your system.

I guess we can rule out DW installation, since you've already reinstalled DW.

The only other thing I can think of is a software conflict.  Something else is running (occasionally) that interferes with DW.

The only thing you see when DW fails is the "blue circle" icon?  No DW window comes up at all?

This one's got me stumped.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 5:01 AM   in reply to dgrwebster

Well, if you're going to do the "insane thing", here are a couple of suggestions:

Reboot the computer right after the uninstall.

Temporarily turn off your anti-virus program.

Then install DW, but not in the default directory - put it somewhere else like c:\DreamweaverCS3

None of this makes sense because you've had DW running for over a year.

But maybe, just maybe, that latest Win7 patch messed up something.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to dgrwebster

I have the EXACT same problem.

Dreamweaver CS3 has been working fine for years.  I've run it on Windows 7 since I got this machine - about 1 year ago.  And suddenly it won't open.  I bet it is a Windows7 patch because I don't have that Tax program on my machine and I can't think of any software I've loaded down recently.

I can open it as Administrator - so far.  I'm in the middle of a project with a deadline and don't want to try anything that would make it worse (not open at all).

I'll keep checking back to see if others find a solution.  I'm stumped.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to dgrwebster

Checking the Windows Application event log reveals an error occuring upon execution of Dreamweaver.  The error text follows:

_microsoft.vc80.mfc_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.163_none_0c187ef99ee1d2 5a\MFC80U.DLL". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc 8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

An option is given to link to the online event log, with url:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/c688bfb1-6ffb-45b0-b8b0-294 675a693a9.aspx

The explanation given there would suggest that an incompatible version of the C runtime library was downloaded to the machine at some point.  The side-by-side  functionality appears to be compromised.  The article suggests that the runtime libraries be downloaded and re-installed, and gives a link for this purpose.  I have not tried it yet.  In my experience, it could also be an update to the .net framework that's screwing things up--this happens regularly.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 2:55 AM   in reply to Ruth105-364

@Ruth105_364  - Oh man, this gets uglier and uglier.  Back to the old "DLL-Hell" days. 

Did a quick G-search on piece of that error text you posted.

Some folks are getting this error when a trial version of DW CS3 is (or has been at some point) involved.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to Ruth105-364

Ruth, can you describe the exact behavior when you do not run as Admin?

i.e. from the time you click the shortcut to launch Dreamweaver CS3, a step-by-step of what you see/observe. (If you see nothing happening, not even the splash screen, let me know that. However, if you see anything at all, it would be helpful in identifying what may be causing this.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Okay.

I click on the application (either the shortcut or the icon on the desktop) and the hourglass appears, turns around a few times and goes away.  The application does not open.

Your help would be most appreciated.  As I said, I've used DM for years and have a project on it right now.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 11:45 AM   in reply to dgrwebster

I do have a laptop and it does still seem to be working fine - it's not on Windows 7, though.   I think it has to have been some Windows 7 update - although I tried to restore - to no avail. 

My PC is more convenient to work on and that's where I am working - because I opened the application by running as Administrator and have not closed it.

As long as it stays open, it works fine.

Strange, right?  I hope Carey from Adobe can help us.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to Ruth105-364

So, I'm not alone. I began having this same problem today. I was working with DW CS3, likewise on the same Window 7 computer I've been using it on for over a year, when it suddenly crashed. I reopened it and after a minute or so, it crashed. Now it will not open at all, whether I try to run as Admin or not.

When I click on the icon, I get the little splash screen very briefly, then just as a full-size wondow starts to open, it all disappears. No process is left running. There have been no Windows updates in three weeks. I have not installed any new software.

Here's what I find in the Windows Application Event Log:

Faulting application name: Dreamweaver.exe, version: 9.0.0.3481, time stamp: 0x4600622f

Faulting module name: Dreamweaver.exe, version: 9.0.0.3481, time stamp: 0x4600622f

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x009b4df4

Faulting process id: 0x1964

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd2c59605f6cd3

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Dreamweaver.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Dreamweaver CS3\Dreamweaver.exe

Report Id: dce0047e-984c-11e1-8d39-78acc0985288

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to srcoffee

This might be a different issue.  I've kept Dreamweaver opened and it hasn't crashed (yet).  It never did.  When it doesn't open, there is no Spash Screen - just nothing.  And I've been able to open in Administrator mode (so far).

I'm sorry this is happening - but there might be something else going on on your computer.

I hope that Adobe answers soon - Carey Burgess posted on May 2nd and nothing since then. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to Ruth105-364

I'm reporting back to the team that my problem was actually caused by the famous 8k bug. I found a  jpg file that was exactly 65536 bytes in size. I reoptimized that and am now back up and running.

Don't overlook this possibility, no matter how unlikely it seems.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 3:23 PM   in reply to dgrwebster

Hello All,

I recently had the same issue. I didn't believe that the 8K bug was responsible. I mean really? But it was. I've included a pic. The strange part was that I was using SpryTabbedPanels.css, but I hadn't modified it yet. Therefore it was the culprit - having a default size of 8,192 bytes. Perhaps Adobe should add a few characters to that default file. All the same, I just added a few characters to this file and Dreamweaver CS3 opened again. Odd but true. So just as a thought if you were using Spry you may want to check out the default files as well.

8kbug.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2012 1:08 PM   in reply to bug8k

Looks like the culprit. 

I had just started using Spry for a drop-down menu - probably why it just started happening. 

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!!

I hope Adobe is paying attention.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to dgrwebster

Appears to be a possible conflict with Windows Aero, at least it was on my workstation.  I was finally able to get it to work by changing the following settings ....

1. Right-click on the Dreamweaver shortcut and select Properties.
    2. Switch to the Compatability tab.
    3. Under the Settings section, select 'Disable visual themes' and 'Disable desktop composition'.  (It typically worked without disabling the visual themes, but another time it didn't so I just left it checked.  I'm pretty sure all settings are restored when you close DReamwevaer anyway.)

I guess you could disable Windows Aero altogether, or at least the Aero Peek feature, but I like both and really didn't want to see them go.  This option gave me the best of both worlds.  Hope this helps!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 25, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to dgrwebster

Finally, after trying all the more exotic ways, I found that it is the most reliable.  I open Photoshop first and a few projects there - then Dreamweaver obeys and opens very nicely.

It seems to need the PC to slow down in order to get itself open.  Also always works opening as an Administrator - also probably because that slows it down.

Weird, but I've been using this method and had no further problems.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points