Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bug? Normal new crop tool behavior?

Apr 3, 2012 8:59 AM

Tags: #crop #tool #bug_report

I am having an issue which might be as intended, but makes no sense to me.

If I crop an image that has a "background layer" using the new crop tool,

1. As I have the crop overlay on but haven't commited to the crop, the background layer changes to "Crop Preview"

2. If I do NOT have the option "delete cropped pixels" checked, the background layer becomes Layer 0

3. If I DO have that option checked, I still get that temporary "crop preview" renaming of the background layer, but I don't lose the background layer.

Which makes me wonder: if before saving, I go to Layer>New>Background from layer (to convert layer 0 to Background layer), do I then lose the "invisible pixels?"

And, when I save w/o a background layer, is my file going to be larger than it would have been? You do get that warning when saving in Tiff. (That seems to have been the behavior previously, which is why I usually make sure to have an official  Background layer).

I work in tiff w/ no compression. I don't know if the same thing happens in jpg.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 3, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to ckc48

Yes, a Background cannot support pixels beyond the visible edges.  Therefore, if you want to preserve those pixels, Photoshop must make your background into a full layer.

Yes, if you save a document with pixels being maintained beyond the edges on one or more layer(s) it will be larger than if you deleted the pixels.

A TIFF can support saving data beyond the visible edges of layers, but a JPEG cannot.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 3, 2012 6:30 PM   in reply to ckc48

You're welcome.

Life was simpler when cropped pixels were just *gone*, but now we have this ability, and it does actually seem to be getting more and more polished.  I believe I've noticed at least some of the filters actually will work on the pixels you can't see now, so that if you do end up anti-cropping (or moving or whatever) the image you won't be left with a weird edge.

Out of curiosity, why not save in the PSD format?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points