Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player 11.2.202.228 - still get this green screen on videos

Mar 29, 2012 6:24 AM

Windows 7

Google Chrome (latest) or IE9 or FireFox 9.0.1

Hi,

I had the same issue with beta versions, thought it would be fixed with the official release. Many videos show a green screen. I know I can disable hardware acceleration, but it's still a problem. I don't want to be mean but how come such a huge bug (as Flash is still a prefered tech for showing videos) is still there in the official FP11.2 release, when the bug has been known for such a long time?

For example I get that behaviour with that video (sorry if it's not funny, I just stumbled on it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rWd20QHsJkY#!

thanks

jfab

Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 29, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to rockbuilder

You should update to Firefox 11. Version 9.0.1 exposes your system to exploits. For more info, see: http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 29, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to rockbuilder

rockbuilder wrote:

Thanks. I don't use FireFox except for testing purpose but I while update it.

The green screen problem still remains. Anyone can confirm he's having the same issue?

Thanks

Try disabling ActiveX filtering: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/867968

For Google Chrome though, you need to post on the Google help forums because the Flash player is embedded in that browser and auto-updates in the background.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 29, 2012 11:12 AM   in reply to Xircal

rockbuilder,

Can you post the video section of your dxdiag report and a couple of specific URLs where this occurs?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to rockbuilder

I have the same problem, green bars all over the place.  How do I install the old version, I dont have time to spend fixing this.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to abc1723efg

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions. html

Went back to 11.1.102.63 and no more green bar/distorted picture.  By the way my computer is on Win 7 64bit, Firefox 11.0, GTX 560TI with 285.38 drivers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 9:55 PM   in reply to rockbuilder

Please check if there is a newer driver available for your display adapter: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2012 11:41 PM   in reply to abc1723efg

I also use Win 7 64-bit, and a Geforce 560TI and those same 285.38 drivers. After updating the drivers to my video card, this problem has gone away. The latest drivers as of this post is 296.10 which you can find here:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/42438

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 3:14 AM   in reply to JDelphiki

Its not the drivers, its def the flash player, you have just got lucky.Im using 296.10 and i still cant use 11.2 flashplayer, besides the green screen and degrading picture i also get a frozen screen but sound still plays, also i will get this kind of stutter/ pausing effect ever second right to the end. This flash player and its new features havnt been checked properly for compatability, theres more than just stupid youtube on the web.

|
    Mark as:
  • Xircal
    753 posts
    Mar 29, 2011
    Mar 30, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to rockbuilder

Here's the latest Adobe KB article on the subject released 10 days ago: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html

This article is aimed at Firefox, but may work with other browsers: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash#Performance_or_display_issues_with_cer tain_Flash_videos

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 30, 2012 10:54 AM   in reply to Xircal

rockbuilder,

We suspect this is due to possibly an older Nvidia driver.  From our testing using a Geforce 560 Ti/ win-7 64-bit, the bug is reproducible with the older driver dated 10/15/2011 but it is NOT reproducible with newest non-beta driver dated 2/29/2012.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2012 12:02 PM   in reply to boe323

How can you say it's not the drivers, when I specifically stated that updating them, and ONLY doing that, fixed the problem? Do you realize that the 285.38 drivers are from 6 months ago? There have been many updates and fixes addressed since this point. I agree it's frustrating, but there was obviously some sort of compatibility issue. At least write back and tell us if this has fixed it for you guys.

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Mar 30, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to rockbuilder

We're actually not claiming backwards compatibility with 2008 drivers.  We've just relaxed our driver gating to allow 2008+ drivers a chance to use our GPU code in hope that they function properly.  Sometimes, drivers do have issues that can't be worked around.  That's why driver updates are required.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to rockbuilder

Wow.

What a load of hogwash Adobe - once again you have compeltely and utterly dropped the ball.

The new player has the Alchemy disabled and preparation for USER PAYS on the flash player for performance products - DOES IT CHRIS.

AS someone who was developing with the BETA product I was testing the player well before it came out and had to disable it due to these failures - and you know it. Why not at least be honest about it.

I have worked with you guys for 15 years all over Europe, USA and Asia - pretty much the world for the biggest agencies on earth on dozens of multinational brand names - and after years of total dedication I am now ashamed of Adobes unabashed grabs for cash and total disregard for their customer base.

I will be moving entirely away from Adobe in every aspect of prodution - this is completely acheivable and I will be advising everyone I know to do the same and providing the tools to do so. This attitude of SCREW YOU to developers is simply unconscienable. I can not in good faith continue to support Adobe, nor even be impartial but absolutely MUST voice my discontent with them.

Having defended Adobe against the onslaught by Apple, and now watching Adobe simply acquiesce and then join forces to destroy their developer base is so disheartening.

For everyone having trouble - if you are using Chrome, install the old player from the downloads seciont, type in about:plugins and disable the new players.

Adone needs to be deeply ashamed of its new direction - profoundly unethical - pulling the rug on all flex developers, flash developers, mobile developers, and now alchemy. I can assure you Adobe I will be advising everyone I know not to use your html5 development tools in principle, to use Corel whereever possible, to invest in alternative video and audio software (who wouldn't) and embrace Unity and C#, Java and Python and drop the charade with flash  - by the end of 2013 I cant see how you will even be relevant - certainly NOT in the html5 dvelopment tools environment - you absolutely BURN YOUR DEVELOPERS and we all know it.

Have a nice demise.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to zx3cv1zx30vzx23c01v3zxc21

Wow.

All this rant - just because some users refuse to update their device drivers...?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 3, 2012 5:51 PM   in reply to zx3cv1zx30vzx23c01v3zxc21

I suspect you're upset about the announcement of premium features for gaming.  This announcement is not relevant to this topic, which relates to a video driver bug.  Please create a new topic if you'd like to voice your concerns, as we'd definitely like to hear them.  However, you might want to do this in the Flash Pro forums (which caters to developers) or on the blog post I've linked to.

Thanks,

Chris

zx3cv1zx30vzx23c01v3zxc21 wrote:

Wow.

What a load of hogwash Adobe - once again you have compeltely and utterly dropped the ball.

The new player has the Alchemy disabled and preparation for USER PAYS on the flash player for performance products - DOES IT CHRIS.

AS someone who was developing with the BETA product I was testing the player well before it came out and had to disable it due to these failures - and you know it. Why not at least be honest about it.

I have worked with you guys for 15 years all over Europe, USA and Asia - pretty much the world for the biggest agencies on earth on dozens of multinational brand names - and after years of total dedication I am now ashamed of Adobes unabashed grabs for cash and total disregard for their customer base.

I will be moving entirely away from Adobe in every aspect of prodution - this is completely acheivable and I will be advising everyone I know to do the same and providing the tools to do so. This attitude of SCREW YOU to developers is simply unconscienable. I can not in good faith continue to support Adobe, nor even be impartial but absolutely MUST voice my discontent with them.

Having defended Adobe against the onslaught by Apple, and now watching Adobe simply acquiesce and then join forces to destroy their developer base is so disheartening.

For everyone having trouble - if you are using Chrome, install the old player from the downloads seciont, type in about:plugins and disable the new players.

Adone needs to be deeply ashamed of its new direction - profoundly unethical - pulling the rug on all flex developers, flash developers, mobile developers, and now alchemy. I can assure you Adobe I will be advising everyone I know not to use your html5 development tools in principle, to use Corel whereever possible, to invest in alternative video and audio software (who wouldn't) and embrace Unity and C#, Java and Python and drop the charade with flash  - by the end of 2013 I cant see how you will even be relevant - certainly NOT in the html5 dvelopment tools environment - you absolutely BURN YOUR DEVELOPERS and we all know it.

Have a nice demise.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:18 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I also get the green screen on videos now i just updated my video drivers on my gtx 460 but I still have the same problem

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 3, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to Dennero1

Dennero1,

Could you post the display section of your dxdiag report?

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:29 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

diagdx.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 3, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to Dennero1

Thanks, can you also provide a sample link where this occurs?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 7:16 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZpGw1_8ukQ

I have an nVidia GTX 480 with driver version 285.62 and having the same problem.  Note I am only seeing the green screen when youtube is windowed, full screen it works normally.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 7:26 PM   in reply to derickso1

Derickso1,

Assuming Windows 7 32-Bit, the latest driver is 296.10

Please download that via the link below, and install (as suggested multiple times previously in this thread), to see if that fixes your issue.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-32bit-296.10-whql-driver.ht ml

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:01 PM   in reply to JDelphiki

Win 7 64, I intend to try this later, but releasing something used by practically everyone on the internet without regression testing older drivers is usually a no-no.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:05 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Is not working - latest drivers as well.

Seriously Adobe - this was the last straw, No longer on Mobile, no flext and now no desktop.

Unbelievable, I think the next stock holders meeting people need to seriously ask the question as to why Shantanu Narayen is still anywhere near this company.

Destroying it from the inside out - could not do a better job if he was being paid by Apple - some say he is.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:17 PM   in reply to derickso1

@ derickso1 - Look, I agree that this whole thing sucks and it shouldn't have happened. People can fight about this for days, months, weeks, years. This thread is about fixing the problem so that you can get back to using flash. Try out the fix and let's see if this puts the problems that ZX and Dennero1 in the minority.. which is good because it means there is something else affecting it, and makes it easier to narrow down by using commonnalities. As I stated before, I use Win 7 64-Bit and had older drivers. I updated and it immediately resolved the problem. I also got the benefit of a few of my games working more efficiently.

@ zx3cv1zx30vzx23c01v3zxc21 - Continuing to bombast about how Adobe sucks isn't going to fix this problem nor make it go away any faster. You've been given options, and I suggest you utilize them instead of beating a dead horse here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:23 PM   in reply to JDelphiki

Yeah I guess it is good it's small for now >.< i downgraded my firefox back to old flash and it works fine >.< but i mainly use google chrome is there a way to downgrade flash on chrome?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:30 PM   in reply to Dennero1

I believe that Chrome actually incorporates Flash in a different way. Are you certain that you have the LATEST drivers for Nvidia? 296.10? Just good to double check

Also, have you updated Chrome? Checked for Windows Updates? Have you tried installing the Nvidia drivers and doing a CLEAN install when you did? I also assumed you rebooted afterwards, just to rule it out...
    Those are things that I would try.

Chrome's latest version by the way (for me) is: 18.0.1025.142m

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:59 PM   in reply to JDelphiki

JDelphiki - all the latest drivers - there is something on the release notes about not supporting VIA Chipsets - tucked away.......one slight mention.

ATI Radeon HD 4800 Not supported.....??? Driver version  8th march 2012.

Roll back to Flash player 11.1 no problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:08 PM   in reply to Dennero1

Dennero1 - I am a Chrome user as well - install older versions, type into the address bar about:plugins and it will bring up their plugins, simply disable 11.2, I am currently switching bacwards and forwards in order to use my debugger version of 11.2 in development and then back to 11.1 in order to see the World Wide Web, because I can't see the web with Adobes latest release.

Testing more : -

11.2 debug version will not play Alchemy, this may need an update.

11.2 debug version displays green screen which I am suspecting is showing up with stageVideo and hardware acceleration (possible NOT on teh base layer, OR with some alpha, OR with old FLV).

11.2 standard player WILL NOW PLAY ALCHEMY

11.2 standard player display green screen issues as above on debug player.

Will now test video issues.

This is all on ATI Radeon HD 4800

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:16 PM   in reply to zx3cv1zx30vzx23c01v3zxc21

ok i will go and disable it  and try to download older verison

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:19 PM   in reply to rockbuilder

Worse problem here: I have Nvidia GTX 570 videocard (Win 7 64bit, SP1 installed and up-to-date) and I have recently tried all versions of drivers from early 270 to the latest 296.10, did the clean boot, all the tricks with installing/uninstalling... No way. There is one reproducable glitch for me that always occurs, the site advertised on adobe itself: www.tankionline.com. They have recently implemented the hardware acceleration and for my card turning that on = TDR crash. Older drivers and flash 11.1.102.63 allow to play for about 15 seconds while newer drivers or the latest flash version guarantee nearly instant TDR. Plus, I have had issues with video playback (sites like youtube) for months now. Please don't start blaming the card, overheating, system or whatever else, because I can usually work or play modern games for hours without problems... As long as no flash video involved. At first I thought it's drivers, but I see that there are many people having this issue and I tried soo many drivers - can't believe they ALL fail.

I will gladly accept any hints and hope that either Adobe will fix those problems soon... Or finally disappear from the scene, personally, I hate sites running on flash anyway Thought that the games and applications might be a reason for flash to survive, but it looks like I am going to change my mind very soon...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:22 PM   in reply to BuggyFlash

Right click a green screen video, select>settings>display>hardware acceleration and restart teh video and it will play. This is an issue with stageVideo hardware accleration not being correctly set for some video cards !

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:29 PM   in reply to zx3cv1zx30vzx23c01v3zxc21

Most of the time it's TDR now and flash plugin crashes completely, forcing restart of IE or reload in Firefox, so that's not an option.

Oh, just in case - I have Intel P45 chipset, tried both IE9 and Firefox 11 - same result with IE9 basically holding on for a little bit longer before crashing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:33 PM   in reply to BuggyFlash

What is TDR crash ?

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)