Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audition: making changes to two mono tracks acting as stereo?

Apr 2, 2012 5:22 PM

MODS: Firstly i would post this in the Audition forums but i cannot post there for some reason

This is the first time I am really working with audio in a film (and Audition)  I ported a bunch of cilps/tracks in a work area over to Audition. Now the thing is that some video clips have two audio tracks assigned to them, i'm guessing these are two mono tracks acting as stereo? So I was thinking that if I highlight both clips, whatever effect I am doing to one clip in the window, like normalizing or taking out audio hiss is affecting both clips at the same time but i guess it isnt. So is there a way to affect both clips at once with the edits? Are these two tracks necessary? Apologies in advance for what are probably noob questions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to Velzz

Hi Velzz.... I'll take a stab at this.  Have used 1.5 for a long time, but am admittedly not an expert, and have found my own workarounds for such issues.

I had a similar problem, but not with video.  I typically record acoustic guitar parts in mono (sometimes manually doubling) but more recently wanted to start doing stereo recording. I initially set up two separate mono channels (in Multitrack View) for the two mics, thinking that would give me ultimate flexibility later on for EQ, effects, etc, etc.  Only problem is that I also prefer to composite my tracks, not being a perfect player doing perfect takes.  I don't like to mess around with punch-ins, I just do multiple takes and create a composite track from the best takes.  Pretty common so I understand.  But... how to precisely edit two mono tracks of the exact same part?  In short, a lot of unnecessary surgical work (I'm sure someone out there knows the secret).  My workaround was to record into one stereo track instead of two mono, do all the editing necessary, then I can split the stereo L and R into two mono tracks (by copying and pasting L and R into separate new mono tracks) and treat them separately as originally needed.

I don't know if you can do this with audio tracks within a video view window, etc, as I never work with video.  But you might be able to take those two mono tracks, combine them into a single stereo audio track, do your effects edits and cuts, and then if needed in the video track, break that edited stereo audio track back into two mono. And finally, fly them back into the video clip. It's a clunky method and I'm sure that other users probably have a more streamlined and elegant way to do this.  (I'd love to hear it, anyone?)  But it works for me at present.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:43 PM   in reply to Velzz

>>>>once the clips are on the timeline from the source, you cannot change them from mono to stereo or vice versa.

I figured that might be the case.  What I was wondering was whether you can copy each of those two mono tracks into a separate Audition stereo audio track, not part of the video clip at all, do the edits, break the completed edit back to two mono tracks, then fly them back into the video timeline.  I have no clue if you can fly audio back in without a complete re-edit, as you suggest.  I recall a friend working at a public television station years ago, working with Final Cut Pro.  It seemed to my limited exp, watching him work, that he could fly in the audio tracks and move them around (I had done some minimal music tracks for him).  Anyway, sorry if I'm completely off base.  Just wanted to help. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 5:36 PM   in reply to Velzz

Did you bring this timeline into Audition via Premiere Pro's "Edit in Audition" command, or are you coming via Final Cut Pro or OMF? 

Premiere interchange should maintain the proper channelization, but FCPX and OMF break stereo down into separate mono clips on separate tracks.

If you create a Bus track and set the output for each of your audio tracks to the Bus, rather than the Master, you can apply effects and automation on the Bus track which will affect both of the incoming tracks signals. 

As for the issue posting on the forum, can you be specific about which forum you were attempting to post?  There's a main "Audition" group under which are several sub-forums.  Posting is only possible within the sub-forums. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to Velzz

Okay.  From what I understand from your description, your friend probably exported his Final Cut project as FCPXML, which is an interchange format that Premiere supports.  Final Cut treats ALL audio channels as separate mono clips for each channel, however within its own interface it links those clips together.  When it exports, however, those "separate" channels are no longer linked.  They are exported AS separate files and placed into separate tracks and generally treated as if they were completely different clips/assets.  (I believe this would be the case if you imported that FCPXML file back into Final Cut, but am not at a location where I can verify that right now.)

You may want to post over on the Premiere forum as some of those folks will have much better knowledge than I on whether this issue is easily addressable within Premiere.  If so, then Premiere should be able to send Audition proper stereo clips.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,591 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 12:50 AM   in reply to Velzz

Velzz wrote:

Durin, suddenly i am able to post here now.. i made sure I was logged in every other time I tried. Weird. 

Wasn't just you - it was everybody. That's why there were no posts at all on any of the Audition forums for the last couple of days. Somebody's clearly reset things.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 3:39 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I wondered where my Reply button had vanished to yesterday.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points