Skip navigation

Quit crippling this wonderful app.....thought it was slower, but it is actually faster.

Apr 9, 2012 12:12 AM

Latest reply: Interference.gt, Apr 19, 2012 1:55 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

AtonMusic wrote:

…I cannot remember this Adam asking me to supply anything…

"This Adam", as you call him, is Adam Jerugim, one of the Adobe heavyweights. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

In case I haven't specifically asked in this thread yet, please try the following:

1.  Go to performance preferences in Photoshop and change your Advanced GPU settings from Advanced to Basic.  Then quit and re-launch the app and see if performance is better.

2.  If it isn't with the change, try disabling GPU altogether by unchecking "Use Graphics Processor" in performance preferences.  Again, after making this change quit and re-launch PS and see if performance is better.

If both these changes fail to help, let me know and we'll go onto the next set of troubleshooting steps.

I've tried to reproduce your issue on a few systems, even with the same video card and have yet to be able to reproduce the problem.  Performance on my systems is about the same or better than CS5 in all cases.

Thanks,

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:32 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Please do make a file available to me - that might help in reproducing the problem here.  You can email directly at:  first initial of my first name + last name (all lower case) at adobe dot com

Thanks,

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

I also primarily do retouching and every image I work on has a separate adjustment layer for each specific "touch-up". Just eyes for example: irises get a layer, pupils get 2 layers, whites get a layer, the whole eyeball gets a heal/clone layer, the eyelashes get a layer, catchlights get a layer. Then it's on to teeth. A simple portrait will easily have 25 adjustment layers. Typical retouches end up around 100, complex ones can approach 200.

Altonmusic's usage seems very similar to mine, but I haven't seen a significant performance difference from CS5. I am using windows, and per Adobe's advice I just updated my nvidia driver (which annectdotally seemed to help slightly).

That being said. I still see the dodge/burn, healing, blur/smear/sharpen tools get laggier the longer I keep a given instance running.  Last night I retouched about a 10 photos. All of them at some point contained at least 20 adjustment layers, as well as maybe 6 smart object/filters. When retouching the 10th photo, the lag between moving the stylis and seeing the change on the screen became too troublesome to continue. Closing and restarting PS solved the problem, but THAT is an issue I didn't have with CS5.

I'm sorry Adam per your request (post 18).  I can't seem to be successful recording an action of my worksteps most of which involve the running of actions - my workflow actions seem to fail (errors like "invert layer is not currently available") while I am recording the new one. Probably my lousy job of making actions. I will try again tonight, but is there some specific system data I could capture that would help? I was watching the windows performance monitor last night, and  as far as I could see, I never ran out of memory resources - at least 40% were always available. CPU usage was never more than a blip.

Should I move my issue to a new post rather than hijacking Alontmusic's? I am no longer convinced we are having the same problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 2:40 PM   in reply to PixbyTed

Ted,

There was another thread specific to slowdowns with tools (Dodge/Burn/etc), but I can't find it for now, so we can work on this here.  I have an action that runs Dodge on a large image with tons of layers.  I'm trying to reproduce the issue, but it would be worth watching Task Manager to see if Photoshop memory usage continues to climb beyond the limit you've set in performance preferences as you work.

I'm going to keep working with this action for now and will post an update here once I have more info.

Thanks,

Adam

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:20 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Well a forehead smacker, but far from dumb azz. A day without a forehead smack is a day without using Photoshop.

Glad you figured it out. Now you realize, I will have to try it to find out what 250 px of outer glow looks like.

Ted

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:27 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

A couple updates:

First, I need to give credit to my colleague Mike Shaw for identifying what specifically was slowing down performance in the file - I'll certainly sleep better tonight

Second, I ran an action to try to reproduce the slowdown using tools and wasn't able to - my action ran the Dodge tool 50 times in a row on a single image without any degradation in performance for the entire run.  Note that I'm not using a tablet and there might be something about the data being passed there that's slowing down the app (just a WAG).  Ted, my email contact info is above so if you'd like to contact me directly I can help you create an action on your system that might help us figure out what's going on.

Thanks again,

Adam

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 6:32 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

That's good news, AtonMusic.  Glad to hear it wasn't a bug!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:17 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Thanks Adam ...

I will definitely send you an email. Tonight I only did 8 images, but on the last, I began to notice a slow down of the healing brush.

Here is my system info:

i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40 GHz

Windows 7 Home Prem build 6.1.7601

RAM: 16GB

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti with 1 GB

NVIDIA Driver: 9.17.12.9610

Wacom Intuous 4

PS preferences:

memory for PS 8703 GB (59%)

This  memory table I created from the Windows Resource Monitor

Stage:                    In Use          Modified          Standby          Free

----------                   -------------     -------------          -----------          --------

Fresh Start             2070MB      44MB               866MB          13394MB

Start Bridge           2230            64                    1179               12863MB

Launch ACR          2780            86                    1640               11800

Open 1 smt Obj     5090           112                   1833               11333

close 2 images      5775           112                   2628                 7841 - edited / closed 2 photos, , PS running, no active img

close 1 image        6516           159                   3318                 6374 - PS running, no active image

close 5 images      6732           247                   4543                 4843 - PS running, no active image

close PS                2318           108                   4613                  9327 - PS closed, Br still running

close Br                  2090           108                   4652                  9530

Somehow during the process of launching PS & Br, editing 8 images, and closing PS & Br, free memory was reduced by

just shy of 4GB. The troublesome part is that in use memory increased after each image was closed. Although it wasn't as bad tonight (with only 8 images) by the time I did 12 last night, the tools were noticably sluggish.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:45 PM   in reply to PixbyTed

>> The troublesome part is that in use memory increased after each image was closed.

That's normal: photoshop reuses memory, and freeing memory all the time would make it much slower and more likely to have problems with address space fragmentation.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Thanks Chris. That makes sense.

What happens if "in use memory" exceeds the amount I have set in PS preferences (in my case 8.7 GB)? Would that result in sluggish tools?

I haven't watched it long enough to see if that happens when the tools get sliuggish.

Ted

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to PixbyTed

Photoshop's "in use" as measured by the OS includes things beyond Photoshop's control (OS buffers, display/UI buffers, the size of the loaded binaries, etc.).

But Photoshop's measured memory use tries to take that into account, and limit actual allocated space to less than you specify in Photohop's preferences.

Allocating the full amount would not make Photoshop sluggish.  But if you edit a document larger than RAM and hit the scratch disk a lot - then that could make Photoshop sluggish while it waits for disk IO.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 11:30 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I don't think it's writing to scratch disk frequently. The largest file I was working on last night was only about 760MB and 21 layers. The most "in use" memory reported by windows was 6.7GB and I have 8.7 allocated to PS out of 16GB total installed. But last night, I only noticed a slight increase in sluggishness as opposed to previously when I had opened and closed a dozen or more documents.

What I will do today is just keep running the current instance until the tools become what I would call painfully sluggish - in other words when I would normally shut PS down and start a new instance. What statistics would be useful to you when I reach that state?

Ted

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to PixbyTed

The basic memory stats might be useful.

Beyond that we need to figure out how to reproduce the problem so we can profile it and see where the time is going.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Images attached to eMails don't get into the forum, Morten.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 4:51 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

What Noel is trying to tell you is that no one can see the image you thought you had attached, not even Adam.

Images attached to emails just disappear into cyberspace, nobody gets to see them even for an instant.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

…and what I want to add is that, without seeing your screen shot, I don't know what you're referencing.  Everything looks fine under snow Leopard 10.6.8, if that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 1:55 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

I have just uninstalled it because I am too busy to deal with the performance issues. After using it for a while, my whole system becomes unusably slow - not just PS6. Also it won't quit completely. I'm used to Adobe programs taking forever to quit - especially Acrobat (???) but PS 6 would never quit --always had to be forced.

For what its worth, I'm working mostly with very large documents - satellite imagery, from a few hundred MB to 2GB. If things calm down here I might try again.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points