Flash Player 11.2.202.228 - still get this green screen on videos

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7

Google Chrome (latest) or IE9 or FireFox 9.0.1

Hi,

I had the same issue with beta versions, thought it would be fixed with the official release. Many videos show a green screen. I know I can disable hardware acceleration, but it's still a problem. I don't want to be mean but how come such a huge bug (as Flash is still a prefered tech for showing videos) is still there in the official FP11.2 release, when the bug has been known for such a long time?

For example I get that behaviour with that video (sorry if it's not funny, I just stumbled on it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rWd20QHsJkY#!

thanks

jfab

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 111 Replies 111

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should update to Firefox 11. Version 9.0.1 exposes your system to exploits. For more info, see: http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I don't use FireFox except for testing purpose but I while update it.

The green screen problem still remains. Anyone can confirm he's having the same issue?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rockbuilder wrote:

Thanks. I don't use FireFox except for testing purpose but I while update it.

The green screen problem still remains. Anyone can confirm he's having the same issue?

Thanks

Try disabling ActiveX filtering: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/867968

For Google Chrome though, you need to post on the Google help forums because the Flash player is embedded in that browser and auto-updates in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rockbuilder,

Can you post the video section of your dxdiag report and a couple of specific URLs where this occurs?

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Here are some green screen links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rWd20QHsJkY#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbTOpHAinhA

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/first-take-assassins-creed/728505?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/uk-insde-ghost-recon/728583

BTW the ads before the videos are always alright.

Sometimes it's a perfect green screen, some other times it's a glitchy/flickering pink and green noise screen.

And the dxdiag. It's in french (i'm french-canadian) but I think you should be able to "decode" it. Otherwise just tell me and I'll translate it for you.

dxdiag_video.gif

dxdiag_system.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, green bars all over the place.  How do I install the old version, I dont have time to spend fixing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html

Went back to 11.1.102.63 and no more green bar/distorted picture.  By the way my computer is on Win 7 64bit, Firefox 11.0, GTX 560TI with 285.38 drivers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also use Win 7 64-bit, and a Geforce 560TI and those same 285.38 drivers. After updating the drivers to my video card, this problem has gone away. The latest drivers as of this post is 296.10 which you can find here:

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/42438

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not the drivers, its def the flash player, you have just got lucky.Im using 296.10 and i still cant use 11.2 flashplayer, besides the green screen and degrading picture i also get a frozen screen but sound still plays, also i will get this kind of stutter/ pausing effect ever second right to the end. This flash player and its new features havnt been checked properly for compatability, theres more than just stupid youtube on the web.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you say it's not the drivers, when I specifically stated that updating them, and ONLY doing that, fixed the problem? Do you realize that the 285.38 drivers are from 6 months ago? There have been many updates and fixes addressed since this point. I agree it's frustrating, but there was obviously some sort of compatibility issue. At least write back and tell us if this has fixed it for you guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes updating the drivers fixed the problem.

Though it's not a solution. As I stated above, I can't ask every visitor of my sites to upgrade its drivers. Flash shouldn't work only with the latest drivers, the average user doesn't upgrade its drivers very often. And since FP11.1 was allright, the real solution is to fix FP11.2, especially when it claims to be compatible with drivers as old as 2008.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, ive tried all drivers from 275.33 and up, when i was using 275.33 the beta of 11.2 was out,still same problems, green screen etc, i updated drivers when beta was installed, still get same problem, now im using the latest driver for gtx 580 with the official release, still get same problem, i even modded the 680 driver and installed it, same problem, so there you have it, i cant see what elsae it could be apart from the flash player itself.I have an idea, that only the most popular codecs that ppl use online streaming have been tested and flash as been made to work with them, but ppl use all kinds of codecs, they need to test the player with not so common, i mean, nearly every video works on youtube, apart from a few, i suspect there different codecs. Other sites not so popular, i use them to watch latest movies and my fav US soaps so im not behind 1000 years lol, well these have the major green screen and that every frame stutter, each frame will stop and can see it moving to next frame instead of being seamless so to speak.I also get a complete freeze of the picture and sound will still play, picture can dissapear and sound will still play, i get that pink and green noise, if i move the slider i get blocks of color instead of picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure which is the biggest failure, releasing software that simply does not work on the vast majority of machines without overhauling your itnernal drivers which 99% of users are NOT going to be able to do - OR - Adobes absolute silence on this issue.

The major websites are starting to catch on to this - pretty much teh final nail in the coffin for flash.

Disaster - someone needs to be made accountable at Adobe - all this blame and denial is appalling.

Time to speak to Wired and Reddit - get the ball rolling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try updating my drivers but anyway this is not the right solution. As a Flash developper I can't ask the people who visit my sites to upgrade their drivers before entering the site, it's nonsense. I never had this problem with FP11.1 so clearly it's a FP11.2 bug, not a driver issue -- even if upgrading the driver might fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the latest Adobe KB article on the subject released 10 days ago: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html

This article is aimed at Firefox, but may work with other browsers: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash#Performance_or_display_issues_with_certain_Flash_videos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rockbuilder,

We suspect this is due to possibly an older Nvidia driver.  From our testing using a Geforce 560 Ti/ win-7 64-bit, the bug is reproducible with the older driver dated 10/15/2011 but it is NOT reproducible with newest non-beta driver dated 2/29/2012.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, yes the driver update did the trick. But please fix the problem in FP11.2, do not ask the average user to upgrade its 6 months old drivers while claiming backward compatibility with 2008 drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're actually not claiming backwards compatibility with 2008 drivers.  We've just relaxed our driver gating to allow 2008+ drivers a chance to use our GPU code in hope that they function properly.  Sometimes, drivers do have issues that can't be worked around.  That's why driver updates are required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked with FP11.1, so I don't see why it can't work with FP11.2. At least it would be nice if the plugin could detect the compatibility issue and warn the user to upgrade the driver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.

What a load of hogwash Adobe - once again you have compeltely and utterly dropped the ball.

The new player has the Alchemy disabled and preparation for USER PAYS on the flash player for performance products - DOES IT CHRIS.

AS someone who was developing with the BETA product I was testing the player well before it came out and had to disable it due to these failures - and you know it. Why not at least be honest about it.

I have worked with you guys for 15 years all over Europe, USA and Asia - pretty much the world for the biggest agencies on earth on dozens of multinational brand names - and after years of total dedication I am now ashamed of Adobes unabashed grabs for cash and total disregard for their customer base.

I will be moving entirely away from Adobe in every aspect of prodution - this is completely acheivable and I will be advising everyone I know to do the same and providing the tools to do so. This attitude of SCREW YOU to developers is simply unconscienable. I can not in good faith continue to support Adobe, nor even be impartial but absolutely MUST voice my discontent with them.

Having defended Adobe against the onslaught by Apple, and now watching Adobe simply acquiesce and then join forces to destroy their developer base is so disheartening.

For everyone having trouble - if you are using Chrome, install the old player from the downloads seciont, type in about:plugins and disable the new players.

Adone needs to be deeply ashamed of its new direction - profoundly unethical - pulling the rug on all flex developers, flash developers, mobile developers, and now alchemy. I can assure you Adobe I will be advising everyone I know not to use your html5 development tools in principle, to use Corel whereever possible, to invest in alternative video and audio software (who wouldn't) and embrace Unity and C#, Java and Python and drop the charade with flash  - by the end of 2013 I cant see how you will even be relevant - certainly NOT in the html5 dvelopment tools environment - you absolutely BURN YOUR DEVELOPERS and we all know it.

Have a nice demise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow.

All this rant - just because some users refuse to update their device drivers...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you're upset about the announcement of premium features for gaming.  This announcement is not relevant to this topic, which relates to a video driver bug.  Please create a new topic if you'd like to voice your concerns, as we'd definitely like to hear them.  However, you might want to do this in the Flash Pro forums (which caters to developers) or on the blog post I've linked to.

Thanks,

Chris

zx3cv1zx30vzx23c01v3zxc21 wrote:

Wow.

What a load of hogwash Adobe - once again you have compeltely and utterly dropped the ball.

The new player has the Alchemy disabled and preparation for USER PAYS on the flash player for performance products - DOES IT CHRIS.

AS someone who was developing with the BETA product I was testing the player well before it came out and had to disable it due to these failures - and you know it. Why not at least be honest about it.

I have worked with you guys for 15 years all over Europe, USA and Asia - pretty much the world for the biggest agencies on earth on dozens of multinational brand names - and after years of total dedication I am now ashamed of Adobes unabashed grabs for cash and total disregard for their customer base.

I will be moving entirely away from Adobe in every aspect of prodution - this is completely acheivable and I will be advising everyone I know to do the same and providing the tools to do so. This attitude of SCREW YOU to developers is simply unconscienable. I can not in good faith continue to support Adobe, nor even be impartial but absolutely MUST voice my discontent with them.

Having defended Adobe against the onslaught by Apple, and now watching Adobe simply acquiesce and then join forces to destroy their developer base is so disheartening.

For everyone having trouble - if you are using Chrome, install the old player from the downloads seciont, type in about:plugins and disable the new players.

Adone needs to be deeply ashamed of its new direction - profoundly unethical - pulling the rug on all flex developers, flash developers, mobile developers, and now alchemy. I can assure you Adobe I will be advising everyone I know not to use your html5 development tools in principle, to use Corel whereever possible, to invest in alternative video and audio software (who wouldn't) and embrace Unity and C#, Java and Python and drop the charade with flash  - by the end of 2013 I cant see how you will even be relevant - certainly NOT in the html5 dvelopment tools environment - you absolutely BURN YOUR DEVELOPERS and we all know it.

Have a nice demise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also get the green screen on videos now i just updated my video drivers on my gtx 460 but I still have the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dennero1,

Could you post the display section of your dxdiag report?

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines