Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Allowing student multiple attempts to answer a question

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greetings,

I have created a multiple-choice quiz which has three questions, one correct and two distractors.

The quiz works fine as long as you select the correct answer on your first attempt. If you select either the two incorrect answers, the quiz slide will  "auto advance" before you had a chance to select another answer. Whilst it is possible to go back to the question slide I would like the participant to have at least four attempts to get it right before the quiz slide "auto advances".

In terms of setup, the question properties are set to allow four  attempts before failure

.I have also tried to set the actions on failure to "no action" but this has absolutely no effect.

Similarly setting the preferences to show "retake button" does not seem to work.

I'd be very grateful for any help that anyone could give.

Regards,

Cameron

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Yes. That's correct.

Now that I know you were using the advanced option, I would say that was the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set the number of attempts at a question level as well as at the quiz level.  Each performs a different job.

It sounds like you may be confusing the Quiz Attempts setting (under Quiz Preferences > Pass or Fail > If Failing Grade > Allow User) with the Question Attempts setting which is reached by selecting the quiz slide and going to Quiz Properties > Action accordion > Attempts.

Can you confirm that you actually have the Question Attempts set to 4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I confirm that the question attempt are  set to 4.

Since I posted this query, I have a bit more fiddling and have discovered that, if I set the "action on success" for the distractors to "no action" the problem is resolved.

I'm not sure whether or not the fact that I am using the Advanced Answer option to give feedback on incorrect and correct answers has any influence on the matter.

I'm, just to make sure that I fully understand the distinction between  quiz attempts and question attempts. The quiz is comprised of all the individual questions that are asked? In other words a learning module will typically have one quiz comprised of a number of questions.

Have I got it, or am I still missing the distinction?

Many thanks for your efforts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That's correct.

Now that I know you were using the advanced option, I would say that was the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Wanted just to reply on your sentence '... just to make sure that I fully understand the distinction between  quiz attempts and question attempts".

Recently I published a couple of blog posts in which I tried to summarize the functionalities of quizzes, question/score slides and also provided some tweaking possibilities. Maybe you could find them useful?

Question Question Slides

Question Question Slides - part 2

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilybiri,

thanks for the links that you sent. Like all of your

material it's really helpful and has expanded my understanding greatly.

Thank you SO much.

I have read many of your postings ( I would have

said all but I had not seen these) and have got a huge amount from them.

If you ever find yourself in New Zealand, please contact me, my wife and

I would be privileged to show you around our bit of the planet.

Thanks

and best wishes

Cameron Gay

On Tue, 03 Apr 2012 03:32:39 -0600,

Lilybiri wrote:

RE: ALLOWING STUDENT MULTIPLE ATTEMPTS TO ANSWER A

QUESTION

created by Lilybiri in Quizzing/LMS - View the full

discussion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your nice comment! Once dreamed about getting to New Zealand, but afraid it will remain a dream. I have been very addicted to travelling (Africa, Asia, America and of course my own Europe) but never got to Australia, nor New Zealand.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources