Skip navigation
Amicus.500
Currently Being Moderated

Allowing student multiple attempts to answer a question

Apr 2, 2012 4:53 PM

greetings,

I have created a multiple-choice quiz which has three questions, one correct and two distractors.

The quiz works fine as long as you select the correct answer on your first attempt. If you select either the two incorrect answers, the quiz slide will  "auto advance" before you had a chance to select another answer. Whilst it is possible to go back to the question slide I would like the participant to have at least four attempts to get it right before the quiz slide "auto advances".

In terms of setup, the question properties are set to allow four  attempts before failure

.I have also tried to set the actions on failure to "no action" but this has absolutely no effect.

Similarly setting the preferences to show "retake button" does not seem to work.

I'd be very grateful for any help that anyone could give.

Regards,

Cameron

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 6:09 PM   in reply to Amicus.500

You can set the number of attempts at a question level as well as at the quiz level.  Each performs a different job.

It sounds like you may be confusing the Quiz Attempts setting (under Quiz Preferences > Pass or Fail > If Failing Grade > Allow User) with the Question Attempts setting which is reached by selecting the quiz slide and going to Quiz Properties > Action accordion > Attempts.

Can you confirm that you actually have the Question Attempts set to 4?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 6:34 PM   in reply to Amicus.500

Yes. That's correct.

Now that I know you were using the advanced option, I would say that was the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 2:32 AM   in reply to Amicus.500

Hello,

Wanted just to reply on your sentence '... just to make sure that I fully understand the distinction between  quiz attempts and question attempts".

Recently I published a couple of blog posts in which I tried to summarize the functionalities of quizzes, question/score slides and also provided some tweaking possibilities. Maybe you could find them useful?

Question Question Slides

Question Question Slides - part 2

Lilybiri

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:28 AM   in reply to Amicus.500

Thanks for your nice comment! Once dreamed about getting to New Zealand, but afraid it will remain a dream. I have been very addicted to travelling (Africa, Asia, America and of course my own Europe) but never got to Australia, nor New Zealand.

Lilybiri

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points