Skip navigation
Codebreaker3
Currently Being Moderated

Map module disappointing so far - or am I missing something

Apr 1, 2012 10:10 AM

I've just started playing with LR4 in particular the Map Module which would be of great interest to me but for some short comings that I can't see how to make work.  I admit that I'm still playing so may have missed something.

1.  Only GPX tracklogs can be imported - yet there are numerous formats available.   My device just produces a Log file (NMEA), which I could convert with GPS Babel but would reduce the benefit of LR4 if I have to use another tool

2.  Only one GPX tracklog file can be selected.  It's not unusual - for me at least with two different GPS loggers - to have multiple tracklog files for a number of images.  This could be due to loss of signal or turning off to conserve power or use another time.  So, I can't easily locate which tracklog file corresponds to a batch of images.

Currently I use Geosetter;  It scans all my logs files - no conversion, no selecting the right file.

What am I missing in the Map Module that would solve these problems?

Thxs

Colin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 1, 2012 10:27 AM   in reply to Codebreaker3

Colin,

You're not missing anything, that's the way the tracklog import works right now. But you also have to remember that this is the first release of map.

If you want more flexibility, you might want to look at Jeffrey Friedl's Geoencoding plug-in. It can translate other tracklog formats on the fly using GPSBabel and you can select more than one tracklog file at a time.

It populates the same database fields as the native tracklog import does, but also adds altitude, which LR4 native does not. And you can use all the rest of the Map module functions after tagging by use of the plug-in.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 11:06 AM   in reply to b_gossweiler

I find GeoSetter is still much better than LR-Map or the plug-in.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 12:28 PM   in reply to ssprengel

ssprengel wrote:

I find GeoSetter is still much better than LR-Map or the plug-in.

+1

one thing i love to see in LR is the ability to set the view direction... like in geosetter.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:50 PM   in reply to Codebreaker3

Does anyone have good experiences with Geosetter on RAW images or DNG?

When I tried last time, almost a year ago, I went crazy because it was almost incapable of loading a folder with 300 DNGs with acceptable responsiveness....

So I concluded that it may be a nice feature for JPG-photographers, but gave up. I became a fan of Jeffrey's plugin, but have not used it recently with LR4.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Cornelia-I

Cornelia-I wrote:

I became a fan of Jeffrey's plugin, but have not used it recently with LR4.

Cornelia

I have, and it works just fine (populating the "real" GPS fields in the LR catalog).

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to Cornelia-I

i agree it is a bit slow to show the TIFF previews (DNG not so much).

and its unlikely that this will change anytime soon as the author is using a engine to display the images that is not coded by him.

i have asked him already about this.

JPG and DNG speed is fine here..... but TIFF previews take time.

but it´s free and feature wise the best i have tried so far.

Cornelia-I wrote:

When I tried last time, almost a year ago, I went crazy because it was almost incapable of loading a folder with 300 DNGs with acceptable responsiveness....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

Add me to the list of people who are very happy with GeoSetter. I use it to geotag my images, after deciding GeoSetter was a better and more powerful interface than the LR4 Map Module.

I do enjoy seeing the maps in LR4 showing me where I have taken photos. That part works very well, and I am glad to have it. Browsing an location on the map brings me back to the day I took the photos.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 4:16 AM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

Add me to the list of people who are very happy with GeoSetter. I use it to geotag my images, after deciding GeoSetter was a better and more powerful interface than the LR4 Map Module.

I completely agree with that.

I only wonder how I can make LR4 recognize that a file has been changed externally (by GeoSetter). I am talking about hundreds of old images already imported into LR, that I want to geotag retroactively. LR wouldn't show the 'Metadata changed externally icon", I need to select all relevant thumbnails and do a Metadata->Read from File .

Any ideas or suggestions?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points