Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

No Sound in PE 10 videos

Apr 3, 2012 9:18 AM

Tags: #audio #premiere_rendering #premiere_elements #premiere_elements_10

I have tried to 'share' my video to WMV, YouTube and MP4.  Each time it finishes, there is no sound.  I'm using video and audio from two Flip cams and have not changed any audio settings.  What's going on?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 3, 2012 10:59 AM   in reply to mroyce4312

What Premiere Elements project settings ARE you using? (It doesn't help to know you haven't changed them -- unless we know what you haven't changed them from!)

And have you tried playing your output MP4 in Quicktime Player?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to mroyce4312

Have you tried playing your output files in some other player like VLC? I also had similar problem with Windows Media player 9.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 7:37 PM   in reply to mroyce4312

>double checked and I am exporting video and audio

Please post a screen shot of your output screen(s) so people here may see what you are doing

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 8:44 PM   in reply to mroyce4312

Besides checking both Export Audio & Export Video, one must also look at the Multiplexer Tab. One should set that to anything BUT "None," to mux both the Audio & Video. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 5:09 AM   in reply to mroyce4312

Hello,

I just sent you a private message. Please check your private messages.

-Akshat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to mroyce4312

mroyce4312 wrote:

Additionally, the Export option in the File menu is always grayed out.  Is this normal?  Any other ideas or suggestions?

Export is only relevant to the Titler. All video and audio exports are in the Share tab.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to mroyce4312

As you have found out, FLV Export/Share is always multiplexed. Other formats/CODEC's will most likely have the Multiplexer Tab.

As for the Export from the Toolbar, that is only for saving Titles as Templates. As of about PrE 7, all of the old Export functions have been moved to the Share Tab.

Now, if with an option, such as FLV, or other formats, with both Export Audio & Export Video checked, and the Multiplexer set to "DVD," or anything but "None," if you are not getting your Audio, it's time to discuss where the Audio is placed on the Timeline. There have been problems encountered with some Audio Clips on either/both of the Fixed Audio Tracks, Soundtrack and Narration. I had not read of those problems with PrE 10, but they did manifest themselves in PrE 7 - PrE 9. The "fix" in nearly every case was to Move the Audio Clips to a free, "regular" Audio Track, such as Audio 1, 2, 3, etc.. The problems seemed to be Project-specific, in that for many of those same users, the Soundtrack and Narration Tracks worked fine, in other Projects. I have never found what the common thread is, when they do not function properly.

In your Project, are either the Soundtrack, or Narration Track (both Fixed Tracks, and always present) being used?

If they are, as a test, I would Move the Audio Clips to a free regular Audio Track, and Share to the desired format/CODEC.

Also note that MP3's, though a supported format/CODEC, can cause issues too. Some will work perfectly, though some just refuse to work. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to mroyce4312

I was afraid of that, from your original post. Thank you for that clarification.

Now, the Audio in those MP4's, is most likely MP3.

As a test, I would create a New Project, that matches the Flip camera's footage. Then, Import the Flip footage, as before. However, and for this test, I would use an audio-editing program, such as Audacity, to rip the Audio from those MP4's, and Save_As a PCM/WAV. A setting of 48KHz 16-bit is ideal. Next, Import that WAV file into the Project, and drag it to, say Audio 2. Delete the original Audio from the files. Do a Share, checking that both Export Audio & Export Video are checked, and if it is available for your test Share, that the Multiplexer Tab is set to DVD. Does that PCM/WAV now Export OK?

Thanks for your patience and your information.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to mroyce4312

Great news.

I thought that Audacity could rip from MP4's, but guess that I am incorrect. I use Adobe Audition, but as it is a fairly expensive program, I do not just blindly recommend it. I need to open up Audacity, and check for more limitations. Thank you for pointing that inability out to me.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to mroyce4312

Hm-m, interesting, and thank you for reporting.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points