Skip navigation
Pictoprod
Currently Being Moderated

Encore subtitles don't appear on DVD

Apr 4, 2012 7:13 AM

Hi, I've put subtitles on a video in Encore.  They need to appear on the DVD (client does not want option to turn them off).  All looks fine in the preview window, but when I build the project and burn to disc, there are no subtitles on the video.  Am I missing something obvious?  I can't find anything in Encore which gives an option for the subtitles to be on or off.  I've been wrestling with this for days and my deadline is looming.  Any help with this would be most welcome.

Shaun

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to Pictoprod

The DVD spec allows subtitles to be on or off. Even if you set them up as turned on, and provide no option for a menu to turn them off, all a user has to do is to use their remote to turn them off. I see no option in Encore for remote subtitle action to be restricted.

You need to take the project back to Premiere, add the subtitles there, and make them part of the video. What your client wants are not really "subtitles" as provided as an option on DVDs. Well, they are subtitles, but the restriction you want is no possible; at least not in Encore.

I don't know if scripting allows this, but your solution is straight forward.

The only problem: I don't think Premiere provides an option for importing a subtitle  track (you can export from Encore if you added the subtitles there).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to Pictoprod

Sorry; should have added the following that describes using PGCEdit to do what you want.:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45440

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Pictoprod

Don't just drag from the button that starts the movie to the movie. Use specify link, and you will see there an option to set the subtitle track.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points