Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Shape outlines change size when skewed. Is this normal?

Apr 2, 2012 7:43 AM

Tags: #indesign_cs5 #shape_outline

Good Morning InDeisgn Experts and Gurus,

I created a shape in InDesign CS5, and applied and outline to it of 4px.  However, when I skewed the shape, the size of the outline changed on the sides.

Is this normal? How would I remedy this, besides creating another but slughtly larger shape?  See attached image.

shapes_sample.jpg

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to apetrik

I never noticed this before, but it seems the shear tool applies a live transformation at the original object -- you can see the shear angle in the control panel, and change it to something else, or even set it back to 0 to get its previous shape. Apparently, its outline is sheared along with it.

I know of only one way to force the transformation to "reset" to nothing: draw a very small rectangle right on top of your red object. Give it the same fill-and-stroke as the red object (use the Eyedropper tool for this). Select both, and then select Add in the Pathfinder panel. You will see that (1) the shear value in the control panel disappears, and is reset to 0°; and (2), the outline will behave normally.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

@apetrik & Jongware (cool trick!):

Some observations by testing the pathfinder trick:

1. In case you put your new rectangle behind the sheared object it will not work. Top object dicates the properties of the added path.

2. In case your sheared object contains an image that image will be removed (see rule 1).

So it would be best to draw your shear effect by using the Direct Selection tool starting with a rectangle.
    In case you want to shear an image do that separately on the image, not its container.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to apetrik

select the rectangle, choose the direct selection tool (white arrow) click on the "stroke box" apply shear.

Done.

shear.png

G

|
    Mark as:
  • lilia@
    196 posts
    Jan 31, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to apetrik

I tihnk it makes sense that the stroke changes like it did for you because applying Shear creates perspective.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to apetrik

The width of the stroke perpendicular to it's direction gets samller, but it remains the same when you measure between two points that are opposite each other on a horizontal line (which is what happens when you squish a rectangle).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points