Skip navigation
BBK19
Currently Being Moderated

Recording via RDC

Apr 4, 2012 7:44 AM

I am trying to record through connecting to a VM via Remote Desktop Connection.

If I start Captivate on my local machine and select the RDC connection as the window to record against I do not get the caption recorded properly.

It captures the captions as "Select Input Capture Window".  If I run same application locally it properly captures the clicks, Ex: "Select File".

Are there some settings that need to be adjusted to allow remote capturing properly.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 4, 2012 7:48 AM   in reply to BBK19

The issue here is that Captivate was really designed to be capturing software that is being executed on the local machine where Captivate can detect the screen events that trigger it to do captures. With a remote desktop scenario, Captivate can't detect the on screen events as it would expect.

Your best solution in this situation is just to do a lot of manual capturing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to BBK19

The text that appears in these captions is determined by an RDL file in the Captivate install directory.  There's one there for each language.  Look for a file called: CaptureTextTemplates_English.rdl

You can edit the definitions in this file to alter what comes out by default on the captured slides.  However, from my experience you are better off not trying to automate this completely.  I NEVER find the auto populated text to be good enough for end users.  So I always edit the text in the captions after capturing and in fact I get rid of most of the captions anyway because I'm doing voiceover.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:45 PM   in reply to BBK19

This symbol is a variable that gets replaced by the name of the object or event at runtime.

I don't know exactly how it all works.  As a I said before, I think you're wasting your time trying to automate the entire process this way.  But it's your choice.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to BBK19

If I run same application locally it properly captures the clicks, Ex: "Select File".

Are there some settings that need to be adjusted to allow remote capturing properly.

yummy SPAM here!

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 6:14 PM   in reply to Nia Maestas

To my knowledge there is nothing you can configure in Captivate to get better results with remote capture.  Manual capture is your best option.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points